Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    Just changed the thread title... :-)
    I was joking, I didn't even know the phone could do what you did so thanks.
    The Pre is a beast!
    Nice story!

But to level the playing field, cant a hacked iPhone do something similar? Sure, this story was more about the network than the hardware, but cant a jailbroken iPhone tether internet through the wifi radio?
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Nice story!

But to level the playing field, cant a hacked iPhone do something similar? Sure, this story was more about the network than the hardware, but cant a jailbroken iPhone tether internet through the wifi radio?
    I think that's true. While I have been happy with AT&T service where I live, since I got my Pre, I have noticed times where on VZ service is available and AT&T isn't.

Since the Pre will be on VZ and AT&T in 6 months and I don't think the iPhone will, I think it's a big win for the pre. My pilot friend is seriously thinking about getting a data only plan Pre for those times where AT&T isn't there, which are many for him. The flight plan app he uses is only available on the iPhone (for now), so he's stuck with AT&T. The data only Pre plan is a lot cheaper than a mifi, and also can make voice alls too in a pince... :-)

PS I can confirm that when you are roaming on an EVDO network, the R indicator doesn't turn on. I know this because earlier today I was in a VZ only area, and got EVDO service without the "R" being on. Then I put the phone into engineering mode and saw it was using CDMA 800, which Sprint has no spectrum in.

So if you think you have great Sprint EVDO coverage, you may actually be roaming on VZ's network.

thx
    mike
    Palm pre win
    Apple iphone fail
    This thread is moved to Cross-Platform Chat because it is about:
    Treo vs. iPhone. Windows Mobile vs. BlackBerry. This is the place for "What should I get" and "My smartphone can beat up your smartphone." Formerly the Smartphone Round Robin Forum.

- Craig
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12