Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
    I have both phones and have found myself using the 3GS more lately. I really LOVE the Pre but Palm has some bugs to work out before I can depend on it every day. Mainly the calendar reminders not always going off. This has caused me to miss several conference calls and meetings. When I first got my Pre I was using the old iPhone 3G and the Pre seemed so much faster, but now it seems slower (and it is) than the new 3GS. I hope that Palm will speed things up a bit somehow... maybe streamline their code somehow. I remember reading how Palm engineers who had previously worked for Apple were talking about how bloated the iPhone code was... well, it may be but it's much faster than the Pre (at least on the 3GS). I can click on email and boom it's there in half a second, click on SMS and boom 2 seconds. The only way to be comparable with the Pre is to already have the apps open and switch between them. Also, I don't find myself really doing any "multi-tasking" with my Pre (except for Pandora). Most of the iPhone's core apps do multitask... for instance I can listen to music while browsing the web and my email and SMS still come through too. Pre has iPhone beat hands down with the notifications also... I love them. So for now I am sticking with my 3Gs as my primary phone. I think it has a slight edge over the Pre in many areas right now, but I really LOVE the Sprint network in my area. I guess my ideal setup would be to have an iPhone on Sprint. Palm fanboys don't bother bashing me cause I really love and own both phones... just my $.02.
    Last edited by jameskk; 07/11/2009 at 03:24 PM.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    No bashing from me, I am glad you could be honest about the differences in a factual manner. Thanks.
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Interestingly good review. It honestly represents both products, giving both props and disses.

I'm pretty much in totally agreement with him on all points.

I love my keyboard, the pre isn't perfect, but what is? Its a brand new product. even the iPhone had a ton of glitches to work out when it first came out. hopefully Palm will continue full heartedly with updates and improvements to the Pre. As long as they do that, I think they have every chance in the world to be the producer of the best, most user friendly smartphone on the market.

I won't lie, AT&T has nearly lured me over a couple of times due to the sheer quantity and quality of apps on the iPhone. I just couldn't justify the high plan costs to have a neat gadget. With Sprint's everything data plan with three phones on it, I get unlimited DATA and TEXT w/1500 min shared (which I never go over thanks to sprint to sprint calling) for right at the same cost that an almost equivalent plan for ONE phone on AT&T would cost.

But the journalist brought up a very good idea regarding this at the end of his review. Getting an iPod touch just for the apps. It is an idea i've tossed around before. But now with MyTether enabling the Pre to be a WiFi hotspot, those apps on the iPod Touch would now have a constant connection to communicate and be downloaded and played...
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    *Do let me clarify though; I certainly support the Palm App catalog and Homebrew Apps for the Pre. I am excited to see what continues to come out. I'm not running out to buy an iPod touch just to play with the WiFi capabilities of the Pre. I can only play with one gadget at a time in my hands, lol. Its just an idea for the future if the Pre ends up lagging (which I don't think it will) on desirable apps.
    Thanks for posting this. Really good, fair review by the writer.