Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am really unsure what to do.

I have been a Curve user since May of 2008. I love the Blackberry platform, it's just extremely efficient and easy to use once you know what you're doing.

My Curve fried 2 weeks ago, it was 2 weeks out of its warranty and I had no insurance. I upgraded to the Pre.

I really really like the Pre, but there are some issues for me.

- My Gmail and Google Calendar go through fits where they do not push. I have to manually sync to get them going again, sometimes resetting phone. This drives me nuts coming from a Blackberry.

- The battery life: I have researched enough to configure the phone to the point where it will last the whole day, but even so, with the Blackberry i didn't have to worry about battery life

- The Keyboard: I can manage on the Pre keyboard, but it just does not compare to the Blackberry.

But then there are some things i really love about the Pre:

- Web browsing. MUCH better than the native Blackberry browser

- Touchscreen. Blackberry doesn't have one sans the Storm

- Deck of Cards. Absolutely love this compared to switching between applications on a Blackberry

- Messaging. Much better format and presentation than a Blackberry for texting (although i miss BBM a lot)

-Unintrusive notifications and Pandora's integration.

So my 30 days is up in 2 weeks and the Tour comes out on the 12th for Sprint. I'm on the fence as to what to do. As much as i love all the wow features of the Pre, it lacks the battery life and efficiency of the Blackberry. Although i can just hope that future firmware upgrades correct this.

Is anyone else contemplating the same thing? Just want to know your thoughts.

Thanks
  2. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zeravla531 View Post

I have been a Curve user since May of 2008. I love the Blackberry platform, it's just extremely efficient and easy to use once you know what you're doing.

My Curve fried 2 weeks ago, it was 2 weeks out of its warranty and I had no insurance. I upgraded to the Pre.

- My Gmail and Google Calendar go through fits where they do not push. I have to manually sync to get them going again, sometimes resetting phone. This drives me nuts coming from a Blackberry.

- The battery life: I have researched enough to configure the phone to the point where it will last the whole day, but even so, with the Blackberry i didn't have to worry about battery life

- The Keyboard: I can manage on the Pre keyboard, but it just does not compare to the Blackberry.

- Deck of Cards. Absolutely love this compared to switching between applications on a Blackberry

- Messaging. Much better format and presentation than a Blackberry for texting (although i miss BBM a lot)

So my 30 days is up in 2 weeks and the Tour comes out on the 12th for Sprint. I'm on the fence as to what to do. As much as i love all the wow features of the Pre, it lacks the battery life and efficiency of the Blackberry. Although i can just hope that future firmware upgrades correct this.

Thanks
    The BlackBerry Tour: Same pig, different lipstick. Really.

If the battery life on the Pre is that big of an issue, I'd suggest the higher capacity battery from Seidio

I haven't had any of the Gmail issues you're reporting.

The Keyboard is personal preference, so I can't really argue with you there.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I was also thinking about this.

But doesn't the tour not have Wi-Fi?
  4.    #4  
    The Tour lacks WiFi, but also is international.

Both features aren't important to me.

Anyone use the Seidio battery? Is it a substantial increase?
    The Tour lacks WiFi, but also is international.

Both features aren't important to me.

Anyone use the Seidio battery? Is it a substantial increase?
    That is a tough one!!! I am in a similar boat only I have a 8330 Curve and a 8830 WE that both work so I don't have to choose between the two right now. Honestly I would say check return the Pre, purchase the Tour and give the Tour a two week trial run and that way you can compare Blackberry's newest offering to the Palm and make the most informed decision possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by K LoLo View Post
    I was also thinking about this.

But doesn't the tour not have Wi-Fi?
    Wi-Fi just isn't a big deal to me, when I'm at home with my wifi I'm using my laptop, when I'm out in the real world I'd expect to get decent performance from the 3G. For those heavy on Wi-Fi what do you use it for?
    I went through the same debate. I'm an IT Manager and currently use both platforms - Blackberry for work (Curve); the Pre for personal use (but hooked into work email via EAS). I've also used various Blackberry devices for work over the last 10 years or so. The Tour does look awesome and Engadget has called it the best RIM device to date.

If the keyboard and battery life are critical factors, you should get the Tour. The Pre can't compare on either factor right now. Personally I'm going to keep my Pre for the reasons you mentioned above and:

*universal search
    *Synergy (having just one contact list and calendar make my life a lot easier)
    *more fun to use
    *bigger screen
    *huge platform potential, can't wait to see the apps that will come out

I can deal with the bad battery life for now (extra cable at work, car charger). Good luck with your choice.
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    I say keep the Pre, updates should fix many of your problems. I bought the Pre on launch date and now I'm in it for the long haul.
    I came from an 8830 WE. My wife has recently been bugging me about upgrading her phone, but since the rest of the family is on Verizon (I'm on Sprint through work), even though she likes the Pre, it's not in the cards right now.

So last night, after hearing people talking about it here last week, I went and read the Tour review over on Engadget Mobile. For the life of me, I can't understand what all the excitement is. It's nice and all, but just doesn't seem all that new - I can hardly tell it from the Bold. Is it just that it's CDMA? And I'm not sure it would satisfy my wife's desire to have something a little more fun than the standard phone she has now.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darnell3 View Post
    Wi-Fi just isn't a big deal to me, when I'm at home with my wifi I'm using my laptop, when I'm out in the real world I'd expect to get decent performance from the 3G. For those heavy on Wi-Fi what do you use it for?
    When dealing with transfer of files, VPN, VOIP the speed of wi-fi helps alot. 3G is fast but compares nothing to wi-fi. The Pre is not an international phone, but if I could catch a wi-fi hotspot in say London where wi-fi is virtually EVERYWHERE I could make skype calls for free.
    After getting a blackberry curve last year I always had the mindset that I'd only ever get blackberrys from that point on and the Tour was on my list as my next phone. That was until I got swayed into the pre hype and bought one on release day. I'm glad I did. For me, the pre does everything my blackberry did for me but it is more "fun" to use, if that makes sense. There are some shortcomings to the pre and I feel they can be resolved with software updates.

I'm sticking with my pre for at least a year, if after a year it doesn't come through I'll go back to the next blackberry or maybe see what else is out there at the time.

So all in all, I'm happy with my pre and really enjoying it.
    Do you use your phone more for business purposes, or multimedia/personal use? If it's the former, go with the tour, latter choose the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by smithwicks View Post
    Do you use your phone more for business purposes, or multimedia/personal use? If it's the former, go with the tour, latter choose the pre.
    At this point in the game, I think that is probably the best advice.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    When dealing with transfer of files, VPN, VOIP the speed of wi-fi helps alot. 3G is fast but compares nothing to wi-fi. The Pre is not an international phone, but if I could catch a wi-fi hotspot in say London where wi-fi is virtually EVERYWHERE I could make skype calls for free.
    Skype is out for the Pre?? I didn't know that!!?? AWESOME!!!

Oh... wait... no it's not. In fact, they're not planning on developing for the Pre yet....
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    dude...u can use skype...at leaast 2 ways, call into ur skype # or skype forward.

1. i have the EXTENDED BATTERY it works well enough where i dropped all my emails(3) to 1Omin & 1 gmail to push. i still do a charger at work (never use it) touchstone in the car streaming pandora or Video BOL. & stone at the house.

2. yes i had a curve to...but the keyboard & battery life wasnt enough to get me to jump to the tour.

3. go into t-mobile & play with the 8900 curve (its the same OS & 97% of the form factor). this was what REALLY helped me decide to keep my pre...i just passed 30.

4. BB been there done that & i dont wonna miss out on whats to come with WebOS.

so trust me...we all have been in ur shoes, but hit the tmobile store it will help.
    ohio state SUCKS!! & michigan state will never measure up!
    p.s. lakers SUCK too!! GO PISTONS!!
    bottom line for me on the tour.

- how many times is BB going to release the same OS in new hardware, and different gui pictures covering that same OS.

its boring, blackberry is boring.

over it.

Thanks
    You might as well go into the Apple forums and ask iPhone or the Pre? Your in a Pre forum so you are getting a biased answer. No one can answer for you, you have to make up your own mind. It looks like you have done some research so, take a pick!
    A little over a week ago I made the jump from Verizon to Sprint. I purchased the PRE. As long as I am breathing I will have a PRE by my side. End of story...

Battery life = big deal. I take my charger with me. Simple as that. I stream internet radio during my hour commute. I get at work, throw it on the charger and bingo. Within 30-45 minutes it's back at 100%. I'm good for the rest of the day. I don't need a battery to last me days upon days! It would be nice, but in the end of things... it doesn't effect me at all. Plus higher capacity batteries will become avail. Just a matter of time!

I like my wifi. If I'm watching TV at the house, I don't have my laptop sitting on my lap! I have my Pre there though. So Wifi comes in handy in those at home situations. Heck, even at coffee shops and stuff I enjoy connecting wifi. My work has wifi. So wifi is a plus for me!

I have huge hands! and I do just fine on the Pre's keyboard. I fly when typing messages/emails. I love having a physical keyboard. This is my first!

I'm here to stay with Sprint and the Pre. Sprint has been nothing but awesome towards me as a customer. I get follow up calls just to see if everythings going well with me and my service. It really shows they are trying to come through with things and make it better!

*** I'd rather be with a carrier that really is making an effort to do things right even if it means me getting a dropped call from time to time.

Verizon on the other hand were morons. They slapped so many unknown charges on my bill. BLAH!

STICK WITH THE PRE!
  19.    #19  
    I posted this in the troubleshooting forum, but once again my Gmail and Google Calendar have stopped pushing. To get it to work again, i must manually hit sync in both. This will then get it working for another day or so.

What can i do to correct this? It's a dealbreaker for me and I really want to keep the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by poopsie View Post
    You might as well go into the Apple forums and ask iPhone or the Pre? Your in a Pre forum so you are getting a biased answer. No one can answer for you, you have to make up your own mind. It looks like you have done some research so, take a pick!
    I was waiting for someone to come up with that reply. I cannot agree with you more. ANY forums you ask will tend to tell you the device that forum is centered on is better. Who's going to say, nah, stick with the other camp's phone cause ours isn't as good???

But in all seriousness, the same goes for everything else when it comes to which is better for me. The answer is, only YOU can really decide which is better for you.

I was on the BB platform for years starting from the 8700 all the way to the Bold and loved the platform until I got bored with it, especially the OS. It seems that every new generation of BB has a bit better hardware wrapped around the same OS with tiny tweaks and fixes. I followed the Pre hype from Jan til the anticipation and got it June 9th. What a wait that was, it was agonizing to say the least. WebOS is definitely a very exciting new platform and much needed competition. However, for me, email messaging is probably what I use my device the most, even more than phone calls itself.

I thought the device looked cute, but not professional looking. I found the hardware a bit lacking although very organic looking. I was getting used to the keyboard but kind of just settled on it. I really didn't like the fact that I needed to charge the phone throughout the day just to use it or be afraid of using the features just to save the battery life which I found to be extremely lacking.

The software is very nice and entertaining. The card system is ingenious and of course the multitasking is truly a new breath of fresh air. After many years, I can truly browse the web on a phone which was so wonderful.

Having said that, I returned the Pre last Sat and now am awaiting the Tour this Sunday.

To me, The Tour will be no different than the Bold I was using on ATT which I actually paid an ETF just to switch to Sprint. It really is called crackberry for a reason. My wife is on a BB which we use BBM constantly, but true threaded SMS took care of that need but still wasn't the same. To me, I just have never used a keyboard better than the BB, there's just nothing out there that can match but of course, its a very personal thing.

I realized the insane amount of short cuts on the BB that I have not encountered on any other platforms and I use it extensively. The ability to just hit "R" to reply to a message without even opening it saved me I can't even tell you how many hours throughout the years I've been using emails. I leave my phone on vibrate at work all day long, and the lack of a visual notifications was truly annoying in that I'd have to always turn the Pre on to see if I received anything since the one vibrate barely registers on my desk.

The WebOS is a ver 1.0 OS that will become something so great that competitors would NEED to take notice and ramp up their own OS development. It would do to the mobile platform what the iphone did to the mobile phone market. However, it is in its infancy. It is unfair to compare this 1 month old OS to the RIM platform or mobile OSX which have years of development behind it.

I understand there will be updates, but I need to use whats important to me NOW, so thus I will go back to the BB platform and hope to revisit the WebOS in the future.

In the end, only the OP can decide whats best and whats most important to him. I can only tell you why I have decided to pick one over the other. If you never have tried a BB, my advice is to give it a trial shot. You can only really make a decision when you have tried both instead of picking one over the other without using both platforms. Sorry for the long post but I try to be as unbiased as possible.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast