1.    #1  
    I just read through "post your Pda history" and realized just about everyone is currently using one of those three. You guys don't seem too interested in win ce and I am wondering why. I will probably save up and get a prism, unless they come out with a new one. I like the choices in springboards. 3 or more differnet wireless options, 1 or more mp3 player, 2 or more land modems. Also the springboards are so cheap right now. I am also an indoor person.

1. Why are you using prism, clie, handera?
    2. What do you use it for?
    3. Why are you not interested in win ce?
    I use the Clie 760C. Started with a Deluxe and then upgraded to a Prism for Color. I chose a PalmOS device because of name recognition. I chose the HandSpring because it was cheaper and had the SpringBoard Slot. One of the things I was most interested in was a GPS, which never became practical because the screen was useless outside.

I switched to the Clie because it offers everything I want in one unit. MemoryExpansion, MP3, Hi-Res Screen, and a Reflective screen. Everything else is a bonus, particularly being able to mount the MemoryStick as a Drive.

I use my Clie to manage my life. Every number I know is in it. It stores all my meetings and To-Do's. I have WordSmith installed for Word Documents. I also have MarkMyScriptures which is the KJV Bible. Another program is PrayerLog, for recording PrayerRequests. I have Parens Calculator, as well. I would like to purchase DateBook4 and TinySheet, which I will as soon as I can afford them. I have a 128MB MemoryStick with MP3's and the MarkMyScriptures DOC's, because that program is VFS Aware. In short, it does plenty, and there is plenty more it will do.

As for PocketPC, I would not say I am not interested. I am always interested in something that makes my life easier or more organized. I love the look and feel of the iPaq, it is really a sleek device. The problem I have is simple. Everytime I pick one up, which is any time I see one on display, I have a hard time navigating the device. A co-worker of mine bought one and it was awesome, particularly with a MicroDrive installed. But in all the time he has had it, he never uses it. Once the glitter wore off, it stayed at home. There were so many things he needed to learn how to use, it just was not worth his time.

I just find the PalmOS to be more intuitive and user-friendly. It can do anything PocketPC can do, but does the core functions with much more simplicity, to me. That is not to say I would never own a PPC, but it will take a lot to get me to leave my Clie.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Originally posted by Alslayer

1. I'm using the Prism because of the expansion slot (others have it now), the bright color screen mainly, though. It's hard to see outside,but the others are washed out inside, at least what i have seen of them in the store.
    2. Contact info, notes, work schedule, reading, games, more, I guess I take it for granted..
    3. I had a PPC device, traded it in for a VDX, USB CD burner and a set of puter speakers. It was too hard to look up basic info, had a faster processer, but was slower and had only a few applications, even fewer that interested me, but that may have changed now.
    Sterling
    I can't answer the above 2 questions because I don't got one of those three. Anyways as for PPC I chose Palm OS because of software support.
    Originally posted by Alslayer
    1. I'm using the Clie 710+ simply because it's a GREAT device. Its got everything that I want. High-res, great color, MP3 player, great looking. Also, it's the top of line of PalmOS devices for now, so I wanted it.

2. I use it for everything. I have every phone number I know in there, track ALL my appointments going on, and what I need to do. I use it to track homework as well, and take notes in class with my keyboard. I also read AvantGo for news, instead of the paper newspaper, and play a good amount of games. It's also useful for those, random situations, where you need to find a conversion or something. I also use SplashID to keep all my personal info, passwords, PIN numbers, etc.

3. WinCE is plainly put, expensive and hard to use. I COULD HAVE BOUGHT a WinCE device, but PalmOS is just too good. I love it, and it can do everything a PPC device can do, if not more, especially in the core functions. Maybe one day I'll go to PPC, if it's as easy to use as PalmOS, the battery can last more than a few hours, and they are small enough to carry around comfortably.
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
    You may want to go to the www.pdabuzz.com site and look at the PalmOS/HandEra forum for some input on the HandEra 330. I think that it is an excellent machine, but I do not own one. They will give some information about it over at the Buzz.
    <><
    Well, I have been looking at PPC devices for the next time I upgrade, mainly because the software for Palm OS just isn't doing it for me... in particular I need a PDA to do mobile editing of Excel spreadsheets and Quicksheet, while a nice program, is just too slow. This could just be the Visor, though, and perhaps a higher-end PalmOS device would work better, but it's still a problem that renders the Quicksheet software virtually useless for me.

But the reason I still own the Visor instead of a PPC device is COST. Those suckers are VERY expensive -- way too expensive for technology that we all know is going to be improved upon multiple times in the next year or two. Someone elsewhere on the discussion boards made the point that for the price of a new Jornada 568, you could actually buy an entire PC system from Dell or Gateway! Plus, there appear to be QC issues with PPC devices such as dust under the screen. For that much money you could buy a Clie or Prism and have a device that may be only 75% as useful or functional as a Jornada but is 33-50% of the cost, which seems like a reasonable tradeoff.
    BertBert
    Mark 12:28-31
    If you want to do excel editing the Handera's come with QuickOffice and the Handera 330's are dirt cheap right now too. Maybe a color Handera is coming out? That would be really cool.
    You know it's bad when your Calculus Professor uses the word "Unpossible"

"It's a long way from my thoughts to what I'll say, It's a long, long way from paradise to where I am today." -Switchfoot, Home
    Originally posted by ashmed
    If you want to do excel editing the Handera's come with QuickOffice and the Handera 330's are dirt cheap right now too. Maybe a color Handera is coming out? That would be really cool.
    Is QuickOffice any faster on a Handera than on a Visor Deluxe? I use Quicksheet already and like I said -- very slow. For example, I keep my students' grades in Excel, and it takes 30 seconds to open a gradebook in Excel; and if I enter a grade into a cell it will be often upwards of 20 seconds from the time I click the check-mark to the time the Visor actually enters the information.

More to the point, and to keep this discussion on topic, which is faster -- QuickSheet on a Visor (or other Palm platform), or Pocket Excel on a "typical" PPC device (whatever "typical" may mean)?

I like the Handeras very much, and if it weren't for the monochrome screen and my dissatisfaction with Palm OS software I would have gotten one by now. I've been monitoring the color Handera possibility too -- we'll see.
    BertBert
    Mark 12:28-31
    I'm assuming that Quicksheet would be faster on the Handera since it's 33MHZ compared to the VDX's 16.
    You know it's bad when your Calculus Professor uses the word "Unpossible"

"It's a long way from my thoughts to what I'll say, It's a long, long way from paradise to where I am today." -Switchfoot, Home
  11.    #11  
    http://www.pencomputing.com/

On the right side under Palm speedway it shows some benchmarks of Palm handhelds.