Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1.    #1  
    It looks like the new 3.0 iPhone OS is sucking down power.

    http://www.crn.com/mobile/218400956;...PCKHSCJUNN2JVN

    The problem looks to be the constant push of data. Sounds like what we've already figured out here. Keeping those apps constantly running burns electrons up.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken M View Post
    It looks like the new 3.0 iPhone OS is sucking down power.

    http://www.crn.com/mobile/218400956;...PCKHSCJUNN2JVN

    The problem looks to be the constant push of data. Sounds like what we've already figured out here. Keeping those apps constantly running burns electrons up.
    Well the whole idea of push notifications was to keep battery life strong. That's why they opt for that instead of background applications. From what I know only Mail, music, and Safari truly run in the background.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

    Sprint customer since 2001
  3. fwinst's Avatar
    Posts
    715 Posts
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    #3  
    Interesting that they think it's all software. Not only that, but thay say that there is already a fix in the works with 3.1 OS in Beta now. OK Palm, the clocks ticking.
  4. BenS_aTm's Avatar
    Posts
    58 Posts
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    Well the whole idea of push notifications was to keep battery life strong. That's why they opt for that instead of background applications. From what I know only Mail, music, and Safari truly run in the background.
    Push notifications from Exchange and GMail are not efficient at all. The server doesn't really PUSH the email, but the phone is constantly communicating with the server. We have used the 700wx, 800w and now the Pre, with which battery life sucked on all of them (7-9 hours). We configure Blackberry Exchange Servers and Microsoft Exchange Servers, and we have come to the conclusion that the only system designed with a true PUSH system is Blackberry, which is why all emails go through RIM's servers. With my Pre, if i set it to As Items Arrive my battery life drops and the phone gets hot. So i just set it to every 15 minutes and the issue went away.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken M View Post
    It looks like the new 3.0 iPhone OS is sucking down power.

    http://www.crn.com/mobile/218400956;...PCKHSCJUNN2JVN

    The problem looks to be the constant push of data. Sounds like what we've already figured out here. Keeping those apps constantly running burns electrons up.
    never heard of your source, but here's some info from a source I know and trust.

    Battery Tests Confirm iPhone 3GS Improvements, But Complaints Linger | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
  6. Minsc's Avatar
    Posts
    967 Posts
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by BenS_aTm View Post
    Push notifications from Exchange and GMail are not efficient at all. The server doesn't really PUSH the email, but the phone is constantly communicating with the server. We have used the 700wx, 800w and now the Pre, with which battery life sucked on all of them (7-9 hours). We configure Blackberry Exchange Servers and Microsoft Exchange Servers, and we have come to the conclusion that the only system designed with a true PUSH system is Blackberry, which is why all emails go through RIM's servers. With my Pre, if i set it to As Items Arrive my battery life drops and the phone gets hot. So i just set it to every 15 minutes and the issue went away.
    I don't doubt that RIM's engineers have an extremely efficient push-email system (and no doubt patented), but EAS and Gmail using IDLE is still push email. You can get BlackBerry Connect software for Windows Mobile and I would guess there is a dramatic difference in battery life when that is enabled vs. not enabled. In other words, any push email system is going to create a significant hit on the battery, regardless of the technology.

Posting Permissions