Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    I took the plunge on Saturday and bought the Pre at a Corporate store. The CS guys were pretty cool and opened up 4 new Pre's to let me choose the exact one I wanted. I went through them with a fine tooth comb and made sure there were no creaks, screen issues, or cookie effects.

My background is I've had both the original iPhone, the iPhone 3G and the Blackberry bold, all on the AT&T network. Before that I've been on the VZW and T-Mobile networks. I've owned quite a few different phones, sliders, flips, and one or two candybars. Mostly Treo's and WM devices.

I'm mostly happy with my Pre at the moment. The biggest detriments I've found are the battery life. Horrendous... Absolutely abysmal when in low service locations. I'm at work, I work in the basement of our building, I manage a single bar on Sprint, and my battery was dead in 5 hours from 95% when I got to work. I had zero cards open, email was manual and when received. I have GPS turned off also. The screen was on low, and all I did was send 10 text messages.

The lack of apps right now is frustrating. It's what I expected though, but I think it's even harder than I had anticipated because I didn't know I would love this phone this much. I want to be on it 24/7. I didn't mind so much on my Blackberry that there weren't as many apps because it was just a phone. My Pre is a multi-tasking machine!

My blackberry was a typing machine. It was pretty much what it was made for. Excellent reception no matter where I went, even here in the basement of our building. I always had 2+ bars, if not 3. I never had an issue with reception with my Bold on AT&T. It was VERY stable, never a crash, never an issue, but not all the apps worked correctly and I could never get used to the single alarm I could set up on the base system without purchasing another program for it. And the internet was absolutely abysmal. I would say, for most purposes, the internet (web) was almost completely useless.

iPhones.... I enjoyed them. I really did. They were great little phones with internet. Or should I say tablets with phone function. They were amazing for internet surfing and making phone calls. But that was about it. without a keyboard, they weren't really great email/chat/texting phones. No real multi-tasking functionality without hacking the phone, no keyboard, etc etc. The size of the screen, the relative power of the machine, and the massive amount of applications available for the platform, and the hacking community really made these units what they are. Take any of those points away, and the iPhone just wouldn't be nearly as useful or amazing.

The Pre really is an amazing little device. It's a wonderful web surfer, emails are easy to edit even with the cramped keyboard, the screen is fabulous, the cards... whew, what a concept, so simple and easy to implement, but so amazingly executed. I really enjoy the integration with google, my contacts were transfered in seconds of the device being turned on and my email address and password created on the device.

I am REALLY hoping the battery issues and possibly the reception issues are fixed. Those are the two issues I am having. I get almost zero bars in the same spot everyone around me has reception. Unfortunately they are relatively related, and I am hoping if one is fixed, the bulk of the other comes along. They aren't mutually exclusive that's for sure.

Once more apps are released, and those 2 issues are fixed, this is going to be one amazing little device. For me, it would border on perfection. I'm going nowhere unless Sprint gives me grief. My phone is my life, I spend a lot of time moving around and managing my work day from my phone.

I love my Pre, and am glad I switched.

Mario
    btw, for service reference, I am located near Portland Oregon
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Oh man. It's the creepy clapping guy again. EWE.

Anyway, I would suggest giving the battery a little longer. For some reason the battery life on the pre does the darnedest thing: it INCREASES after a few weeks. Can't figure out why, but I've noticed (with nearly two weeks with my pre) that the battery life is improving.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    lol, yes the creepy guy again! Argh!

I've read about this mythical battery increasing power of the Pre..... I hope it also sh**'s pints of beer when it is through with it's magic also

Mario
    Quote Originally Posted by fossill View Post
    lol, yes the creepy guy again! Argh!

I've read about this mythical battery increasing power of the Pre..... I hope it also sh**'s pints of beer when it is through with it's magic also

Mario
    So you'd drink beer that passed through... never mind.

I don't think its mythical...I've seen at least a 25% increase in battery life in three weeks. In fact, today I used a new Pre battery given to me by a lady who had just turned in her new Pre because "she couldn't figure it out" (exact quote)..the battery was at least 20% more down than my original battery through my usual daily useage.
    You should try to get a free Airave for your office. It would at least solve your reception problems at work.
    I have also found that battery seems to get better as you go along. Also, get an additional touchstone kit or micro USB charger for your work, especially if you use it enough to really draw down battery. I'm considering getting a second touchstone for work but I can go from 6:30A to 6P and only be down to 55-60% which is not too bad.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    I think Wifi helps a great deal as well. My Pre spends a lot of time sitting on my desk, 6' from my wireless router. In the last 20 hours (relatively little use although it is checking my email every 30 minutes) the battery charge has dropped from 97% to 76%. Around 1% per hour.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    I've enjoyed reading your post fossill.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    I've enjoyed reading your post fossill.
    Thanks, I hope you mean that. I really do love the phone

Thank god I brought my charger to work with me!!!

I just finished charging her up 1 1/2 hours ago, took her off, and in the time since, she has dropped 22% for the battery....

The back of the phone is also a bit warm, obviously the phone is sitting trying to find a better signal, but man...

Luckily I know that nothing is 100% perfect, I can just bring my charger to work with me, I just wish it could be fixed somehow!

Mario
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Try sprint only... the battery is eating away at going to roam and back. There is a roam only hack too. You could always get the airwave except I think the current one runs at 2G but it will solve your problem. The new one will have 3G. I had to do sprint only whenever I go in the subway or this phone will hunt its little **** off to the death for service.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Sprint only had an "x" over the bars and wouldn't find anything.... Oh well, I'll call up sprint and see if they are willing to do anything for me.

Thanks for all your help!
    I'd say th Bold is the best business device. The iphone is the best media phone. The pre is an interesting work in progress with improvement needed in the hardware/reception categories.