Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. 1414H77's Avatar
    Posts
    221 Posts
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
       #1  
  2. #2  
    Fails to catch my interest.
  3. #3  
    i stopped reading after "twitter"
  4. jsabo's Avatar
    Posts
    427 Posts
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    #4  
    A lot of the things the guy complains about actually are possible. I know I've seen other Ars articles where they said "it sucks that you can't do this" when you in fact can, not sure if it's the same dude or not. But it is disheartening to see a site like Ars, which has a pretty decent reputation for accuracy, putting up so many inaccurate Pre stories.
  5. 1414H77's Avatar
    Posts
    221 Posts
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsabo View Post
    A lot of the things the guy complains about actually are possible. I know I've seen other Ars articles where they said "it sucks that you can't do this" when you in fact can, not sure if it's the same dude or not. But it is disheartening to see a site like Ars, which has a pretty decent reputation for accuracy, putting up so many inaccurate Pre stories.
    email him and tell him what's possible-maybe he'll update the article. Worth a try.
  6. BenS_aTm's Avatar
    Posts
    58 Posts
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    #6  
    This review is pretty accurate ... but I hope Palm changes this soon. Lets hope that this would not be the same review after month 2! But the comment about buying a charger for the Palm Pre, BS! The micro-USB is easier to find than the iPhone.
  7. #7  
    Nor mine. Flagrant flamming back and forth...

    I personally thought the first comment was referring to the iPhone overheating issue seen here Concerns of iPhone 3GS Overheating and Discoloration Gaining Publicity - Mac Rumors
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by cannibal869 View Post
    Nor mine. Flagrant flamming back and forth...

    I personally thought the first comment was referring to the iPhone overheating issue seen here Concerns of iPhone 3GS Overheating and Discoloration Gaining Publicity - Mac Rumors
    Which ofcourse turned out to be false.


    I am actually taking a trip next week. I will bring both my Pre and iPhone and see which one does better.
  9. BenS_aTm's Avatar
    Posts
    58 Posts
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    #10  
    That is a review that is honest and accurate. I hate AT&T's network and overpriced plans. Even more suprising is he is an Apple fan but willing to admit the Pre rocks, even with its initial quirks (as I like to call them).

    - This is in reference to southflguy's link
  10. #11  
    I love my Pre and am not in any way a proponent of the Iphone, but his complaints are pretty valid at this point- if you want your phone for playing games and doing other things offline-the Iphone is a better bet at this point.

    Turning off Synery is possible, kind of. You have to switch off all of your accounts by switching them to manual or setting them to sync every 12 or 24 hours. It would be a lot easier if they had something like Winmo's comm manager, where you can easily turn the different radios, data and the phone on and off.

    On the other hand, battery life hasn't been nearly as bad for me as it seems for him. Beyond that, maybe he was so used to his Iphone that he forgot that the Pre has a removable battery. Buy another one and you have plenty of time to do whatever you want.
  11. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by BenS_aTm View Post
    This review is pretty accurate ... but I hope Palm changes this soon. Lets hope that this would not be the same review after month 2! But the comment about buying a charger for the Palm Pre, BS! The micro-USB is easier to find than the iPhone.
    Not sure that's true since everybody and their mom has an iPod and most people also have a cable. Not too mention even the foreign owned wacked out corner stores sell iPod chargers.

    Many device are just starting to use micro-USB... If it was mini-USB i would agree, but micro is still pretty rare though it is the new standard.
  12. Helidos's Avatar
    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by BenS_aTm View Post
    That is a review that is honest and accurate. I hate AT&T's network and overpriced plans. Even more suprising is he is an Apple fan but willing to admit the Pre rocks, even with its initial quirks (as I like to call them).

    - This is in reference to southflguy's link
    It might be honest but accurate um hardly the phone is a month old and somehow he expects every store in the country to have a charger available?
  13. Nismode's Avatar
    Posts
    152 Posts
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by dsjr2006 View Post
    Not sure that's true since everybody and their mom has an iPod and most people also have a cable. Not too mention even the foreign owned wacked out corner stores sell iPod chargers.

    Many device are just starting to use micro-USB... If it was mini-USB i would agree, but micro is still pretty rare though it is the new standard.
    I have about a dozen mini USB chargers and cables from buying many Bluetooth headsets, and from my WinMo HTC days (I'm still using my Mogul until I get the Pre), so I think I'm just going to stock up on a few Mini-micro USB adapters.
    Palm m100>Palm m130>Sony Clie>HP Jornada 525>Dell Axim X3i>Nokia 3395>Nokia 6630>Motorola i530>PPC 6700>Mogul (PPC-6800)

    Palm Pre!
  14. mokei's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    #15  
    I travel every week, literally, and have been carrying my Pre for a month. The accurate power consumption comments aside, this author was obvious biased,

    So, when traveling with a Pre, you need your charger with you at all times; if you've left it behind somewhere, don't expect to walk into some random shop and find much in the way of charging options.

    Does this author realize that the Pre is powered by a standard Micro USB charger, the same one that powers a Kindle and a myriad of other non-Apple devices? In fact, according to Reuters on June 29th the top 10 Phone manufacturers in Europe agreed to adopt Micro USB as the interface standard and Apple was among them. This standardization is an attempt to eliminate the wastefulness of proprietary chargers.

    Anyway...
  15. #16  
    This standardization is an attempt to eliminate the wastefulness of proprietary chargers.
    Hurray!!
  16. #17  
    The author has a point but the lack of apps will be remedied over time. Besides, I can watch videos just fine on my pre and I got my PSP for games. *shrug*
    Neil
    Handspring Visor Deluxe > Treo 600 > Palm Pre > iPhone 4s & Touchpad 32gb
  17. #18  
    UGH.

Posting Permissions