1.    #1  
    Although they say it has Palm OS, they title the Clie as a Color PocketPC.
    No more rhymes...and this time I mean it!
    Silly Staples...

That's what you get when you buy a PDA from a company that sells desks.
    Originally posted by creole
    That's what you get when you buy a PDA from a company that sells desks.
    Umm, the last I knew, CompUSA also sold computer desks.

Or was that you're point?
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)
    Well the Clie is the closest thing to a PocketPC within the Palm platform.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    went last night to get a stowaway. I had called and they said yep we have them.
    "you mean the ones for the Handspring"
    "yep we have 3 in inventory"

and of course, when I arrive, they have 3 allright, but it's one for the compaq and 2 for the Jornada.

---left fuming about the idiots at Staples.

went to another staples, and voila! there it was behind the glass cabinets. but had to ask THREE salespeople, including the one at the "customer service" desk to find a key. they all said, essentially, "not my job" (to help a customer BUY a $100 item). Finally manager showed up with key. Took out all types (jornada, compaq, etc) and couldn't see the difference.

-- left fuming about the idiots at Staples, but at least I had my stowaway.

Recounted the story to 13-yr old son, who uses it for school. He said "of course, dad, all the people at Staples are idiots"

I try to teach tolerance to my kids, but it's not easy...
    We should all be taught to tolerate different religions, races, sexes, cultures, music, habits, ideas, social norms, etc...

Stupidity, and more specifically, the stupidity prevalent at chain-store behemoths should NEVER be tolerated.

Yet, we seem to tolerate it and they continue to stay in business putting the MUCH more intelligent small-shop owner out of business.

And we, as a country, continue to neglect our education system and single-parent support systems, which, in turn, seems to breed more stupidity.

That's capitalism, I guess.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by srwdc1
    ---left fuming about the idiots at Staples.
    went to another staples, and voila! there it was behind the glass cabinets. but had to ask THREE salespeople, including the one at the "customer service" desk to find a key. they all said, essentially, "not my job" (to help a customer BUY a $100 item). Finally manager showed up with key. Took out all types (jornada, compaq, etc) and couldn't see the difference.

-- left fuming about the idiots at Staples, but at least I had my stowaway.

Recounted the story to 13-yr old son, who uses it for school. He said "of course, dad, all the people at Staples are idiots"

Maybe you should, some people who shop at staples are idiots too. but really, what did you expect from a company who does very little training to actually have employees "in the know" ? My motto to get through the day at Staples is: Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.
    btw: Office Depot is much, much worse.

Kouz
    My motto to get through the day at Staples is: Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.
    So, you work there, and that's your motto? No wonder these places just plain suck. (Of course, you may have meant that is your motto as a customer...which is a different story...)

Yes, customers ask stupid questions. But an employee's job is to HELP THEM regardless of their ability to word a question properly. It is a company's job to make sure their staff do just that.

Rude, obnoxious customers are a different thing, but that's not what we are talking about.

Even when I used to work at fast-food places, I still had a work ethic and did what I could to help the customer get what they want. Isn't that why you have a job?
    -David Byrne
  9.    #9  
    Sorry Homer, I know this is not a place to get on a soapbox and I know this is probably just semantics on your part but I dislike the word "tolerance" when it comes to religion, culture, gender, etc. I know the president has been using the word "tolerance" and I feel it has the wrong connotation. According to Webster's dictionary, tolerance is : sympathy or indulgence for beliefs or practices differing from or conflicting with one's own b : the act of allowing something :

I like the word "acceptance" better.

I don't believe it is good enough to just be able to tolerate the person next to you who is of a different ethnicity or sexual orientation, etc...great you won't fight with them but you won't be the connotation is that you won't be their friend either.

To "accept" a person for who they are is a step further where people truly integrate and understand each other. Take a theology class, a class on different cultures, or even better if you have a chance to do some travel or live in another country. Even a class in a foreign language helps to understand another culture.

If we truly want peace in this world, we need more than tolerance! OK, off my soapbox.
    I suppose tolerance is simply more doable. A first step, in otherwords.

I can tolerate a lot of people, but I don't necessarily accept them. IE, fundamentalist Islams. I can tolerate their existence and respect the fact that they have a very hard-line belief system that is detrimental to many in their society. But...I can not accept that per se.

But I see your point...it's a goal we should all aim towards.

I still don't tolerate OR accept rude, un-trained store clerks though.
    -David Byrne
  11.    #11  
    "You may say that I 'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."
    IE, fundamentalist Islams.
    Er...I should have said Muslims. My mistake.

I should also have said ANY fundamentalist religious person. A fundamentalist Muslim isn't necessarily worse than a Fundamentalist Christian.

(How did a thread on bad service at Staples turn into a religious tolerance thread?)
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by homer

(How did a thread on bad service at Staples turn into a religious tolerance thread?)
    I blame TV.