Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Sorry Culo, here comes my soapbox.

I have been patient, how long do you expect me to wait for Handspring? Handspring has announced the Treo but I want something this year and I want 320x320 (which the Treo won't have), and color, and OS 4 (which the Treo won't have), and I want smaller form factor.

To say Sony is a fad is absurd, every device design is a fad on some level at some point. Truthfully Handspring has stalled in the 1 1/2 years and shown little creativity. If Sony or some other company is going to lead, I am going to join the leader, not hang with the "wanna be - me alsos"
    No more rhymes...and this time I mean it!
    It 's this Saturday in San Jose. Here'is a cut and paste from their website (www.Sync-Fest.com). First time I've seen something just for users besides the regional palm user group meetings, which are also great.

Agathering of Palm Powered Device Users * Clie * HandEra * Hyocera * Palm * Samsung * Vsor
    Join us on October 27th in San Jose for SyncFest, the first event showcasing Palm products and educational seminars for both beginners and experts alike.
    Seminars Panel Discussions
    Product Demonstrations Exhibits
    Interact with creators of Palm handheld devices, software applications and accessories in our exhibit pavilion. Attend seminars to learn how to get the most out of your device. Join panel discussions where your questions large and small, simple and technical will be answered by experts. Watch product demonstrations of some of the best Palm software titles available.

While I agree that the Clie's are great, they are Very slippery. I had one in the shop the other day, and the darn thing slipped out of my hand a landed three feet away on the floor! i have a Prism and I have never come close to dropping the thing. But every time I use my customers Clie, I feel like I have to hold on tight or the thing squirms away from you!

Doug
    Hey culo77, something is wrong with your avatar. It appears to have a crack!
    Last edited by foo fighter; 10/25/2001 at 02:25 PM.
    There is nothing wrong for die hard PDA fans to move to better things. When a "kid" get bored with one toy they usually go to a better toy. The same applies here.

I was a bit tempted to get a Clie myself....But the way I see it, I am quite happy with what I have (Visor Prism and bunch o springboards). What I have does exactly what I want it to do..... My wanting the Sony Clie was pure lust
    Originally posted by foo fighter
    Het culo77, something is wrong with your avatar. It appears to have a crack!
    You noticed too
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    well i bought some chualking **** it didnt work.
    i got too many complaints about my previous avatar...the girl dancing.....people said the where afraid to check to boards at school.

every one go buy the edge and be as happy as me!!!
    Hey baby before we start do you mind if we use my M505?
    No not for that!!!!!!!!!!
    Use it to reffer to PalmaSutra, silly???????
    culo77,

Nice update. Your new avatar doesn't make me lose my lunch.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
  9.    #29  
    Took my wife to Best Buy to test run the Clie, Prism, and M505 head to head. She said :

Screen : Obviously the Clie was the best...by far. The Prism was a distant second and the M505 a close third.

Form Factor : This was the interesting one, she liked the Clie better than the M505 because although the M505 is thinner and shorter, it is also wider and with her smaller female hands she found the Clie's narrower size the best...I never thought about it from a woman's point of view. Obviously the Prism's brick factor made it the least appealing. She also much prefers the metal case to the Prism's platic.

Buttons : She likes the jog dial and back button and got comfortable with them in about a minute. She really did not like the scroll and app buttons on the Clie though. The M505 and Prism were fine.

Decision : she will stick with her Deluxe for a little while longer but if she were getting one now it would be the Clie. I on the other hand am ready to plunk down my $400+ for a Clie 760
    Last edited by Doggy; 10/27/2001 at 11:40 AM.
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    Originally posted by maddog
    Took my wife to Best Buy to test run the Clie, Prism, and M505 head to head. She said :

Screen : Obviously the Clie was the best...by far. The Prism was a distant second and the M505 a close third.

Decision : I on the other hand am ready to plunk down my $400+ for a Clie 760
    maddog
    You won't be sorry, if you move over to the Clie 760.

I've had numerous Palms, starting with the Palm Pro, then a Palm III, Palm V, Palm Vx, Edge, and now Sony Clie N 610.

Hands down, with the hi res, jog wheel, MP3 capabilities (addon for the 610 model_) and just an overall great screen, this is the way Palm should be!

Is it perfect? No. Stupid flap cover is cheap, stylus isn't that secure in it's silo, I'd love the thickness of the new T415...

but even with these shortcomings, it's the best Palm out there!

(Pick up a decent case, and it takes care of the lousy flap cover and holds the stylus in place)
    What about dust on the Clie 610 and 710/760? Has it been a problem for anyone?
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    I've had my Clie 610 for six weeks, and so far, no problem, but I've certainly read other peoples posts complaining about the dust issue.
    So far, I'm sticking with my Prism. I tried the Clie 710c and Palm M505, and while they both had features I liked better than the Prism, like battery life (both), tiny memory expansion (both), screen (Clie) and size (Palm), I came back for the way the Prism uses Flash memory. I like to keep my large main programs on a Flash Module, and have the system "see" them like any other program. (DateBk4, thinkDB 2, WordSmith) I also have a large number of read-only files that I can read just fine from Flash, but the software hasn't been updated yet for VFS, so I haven't been able to read them from a Memory Stick or SD card (Wordsmith). Palm Reader works OK, but I noticed a slow down on the M505 every time it retrieved the list of books from the SD card. The only expansion cards that BackupBuddy currently backs-up is Visor modules, no MS/SD. (BackupBuddyVFS is pretty cool - I'll miss it.)

There are some work-around solutions/3rd-party programs, but I found myself deleting a lot of stuff to get the Clie and M505 to resemble the way I use the Prism.

Some of these things will change soon, as the software catches up to OS4, but for right now, the Prism still works best for me.
    [whine] But I *do* want a new PDA. [/whine]
    "Attitudes are contagious... Is YOURS worth catching?"
    After owning the Clie for a few weeks, I noticed 1 big dust spec on the lower right side of the screen. Lightly tapping the screen directly over it wouldn't make it budge. If I had kept it, I probably would have had a "problem" unit. I never saw dust in the M505 I had.
    "Attitudes are contagious... Is YOURS worth catching?"
  15.    #35  
    I am sorry, is the dust problem on the screen or under the screen?
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    Originally posted by maddog
    I am sorry, is the dust problem on the screen or under the screen?
    The problem people are speaking about is dust under the screen.

We could probably figure out how to remove dust ON the screen.

This problem seems to exist with Sony screens, both on the IPaq (which uses a Sony screen) and on *some* of the Clies.

My Clie, six weeks old, doesn't have any dust, and many other people have posted having their Clies longer, also with no dust.
    Actually, the dust problem isn't an issue with Sony screens. It isn't even properly an issue with the screen at all. It is an issue with dustor other foriegn particles between the panel and the digitizer on transflective screens. It has also shown up sporadically in the m505 and more recently in the new HP 56X Pockert PCs.

There is probably dust between layers in a significant percentage of the PDAs made. The problem comes in when you use a sidlight to illuminate the screen like the latest generation of color units do. When lit from behind, dust doesn't generally show up unless it is huge. But when lit from the side, it is really visible.

This is requiring new techniques from manufacturers. Normally the assembly of the panel to digitizer is done in a fairly clean environment but not a full clean room. Also, there are usually large gaps left open around the border for ventilation and cooling. Now companies are moving to much cleaner environments and very small ventilation openings to control the problem.

BTW, under magnification, I can see a couple of small pieces of dust in my Prism and also in my m125 besides the visible chunks in my HP 568. My Sony N760C and m505 have never had any problems (knock on wood). The IPAQ got cleaned and sealed a couple of months ago by a third-party service when I had the memory upgraded.
    bradhaak, thanks for the info. I never thought much about that, but it makes sense that the problem may not be with the reflective screen itself but with the reflective screen / digitizer combo. Nevertheless, the point remains that for PDAs, reflective screens seem to involve dust (or screen dandruff as I like to call it ). To me, this is unacceptable. Those who don't have any will probably get some. Those that have some, will probably get more. My iPaq has quite a bit and I hardly even use the thing (I'll post my feelings about the PPC OS in another thread).

Scott
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12