Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Obviously the second generation Pre will give the next gen Iphone the big run for its money. being that the Pre's main selling point is the multitasking capability, is their any way that the Iphone WONT have multitasking?

I am sure ever since they saw the Pre's they said "damn, we gotta get that too".

My question is, is it possible for Apple to include the coding for multitasking without rewriting their whole operating system?
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    You should probably ask that in a iphone forum...not a Pre forum.
  3.    #3  
    Why i dont have an Iphone. We cant discuss the future of these phones here?
    Quote Originally Posted by biggamer3 View Post
    Why i dont have an Iphone. We cant discuss the future of these phones here?
    Doesn't really make sense to talk about it here... It would here though:

http://forums.precentral.net/other-handhelds/
    The iPhone will never have proper multitasking, but Apple *might* allow SOME trusted developers (read: big corporate companies) to make apps that run in the background.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Doesn't really make sense to talk about it here... It would here though:

http://forums.precentral.net/other-handhelds/
    yeah u are correct sir.

A mod should move it
    Its not a bad topic at all, and with the guy who made a webOS style card implementation for the iPhone, its completely possible. Hell, if the iPhone had proper multitasking without having to jump through hoops(jailbreaking, backgrounder, etc), I'd have considered one over the Pre.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Isn't iPhone OS based on Unix also?
    Quote Originally Posted by ksom View Post
    Isn't iPhone OS based on Unix also?
    No.
    Then again, who goes to that forum? And have you actually been to an iphone forum? They're likely to bash him saying multitasking is useless but that the iphone already does somewhat, tell him to jailbreak later, or start foaming at the mouth saying next year's iphone will have 128gb, super HD, holograms, etc...

Simple answer is yes, they'll have some form of multitasking next year. Apple knows they have to go there and it will likely be the main draw next summer for them. They needed to get a phone in (3GS) with better processor. Last year's iphone won't be capable.
    If the Iphone had multitasking and a physical keybaord, I'd get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPre1337 View Post
    No.
    Fail.
    "...is a Unix-based operating system,[4] built on technologies developed at NeXT between the second half of the 1980s and Apple's purchase of the company in early 1996. Its sixth and most recent version, Mac OS X v10.5 is certified UNIX 03 while running on Intel processors.[5]"

Source: Mac OS X - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Its not a bad topic at all
    I agree. And the people who get upset at the mention of a competitor are a bit silly because the very idea of Brand Loyalty is very shortsighted. The phone you buy today isn't necessarily the phone you'll be buying 2 years from now. As much as people would like to put these phones at war with each other, the reality is that iPhone, WebOS, Android and WinMo are ALL GOING IN THE SAME DIRECTION.

Many things present in our Pre came from the iPhone. And many things in the iPhone came from WinMo, PalmOS or whatever. Nobody "owns" these concepts so the idea of multitasking in the iPhone or (gasp) a compass in a Pre aren't only plausible, they are almost guaranteed.

These phones aren't as different as some people pretend them to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    Fail.
    "...is a Unix-based operating system,[4] built on technologies developed at NeXT between the second half of the 1980s and Apple's purchase of the company in early 1996. Its sixth and most recent version, Mac OS X v10.5 is certified UNIX 03 while running on Intel processors.[5]"

Source: Mac OS X - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I misread it as Linux, damn!
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    I'm sure the iPhone will come up with multi-tasking just like Palm copied Safari's near complete web.
    Copied Safari? You mean by using Web-kit to build the browser? So did Google copy Safari with Chrome and their web browser? Web-kit is open source, it makes perfect sense for Palm, Safari, Chrome, Android, etc to use it, they aren't copying because of that.
    I suspect that Apple may allow some trusted 3rd parties to multitask (I think that TomTom may be the litmus test here - will they allow it to continue running when a phone call comes in?).

Beyond that, I think that whether or not and when Apple supports greater multitasking of 3rd party apps will likely depend on how big of a deal their competitors and the press make of their lack of it. IOW, they'll add it when they're lack of it becomes a constant source of ridicule and embarrassment.

Before all that happens, though, I really do hope/expect to see improved queued notifications (top-down style like the Palm pre and Google Android) and a better method for switching between recently used apps. This is probably my biggest complaint as a recent iPhone buyer.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    I agree. And the people who get upset at the mention of a competitor are a bit silly because the very idea of Brand Loyalty is very shortsighted. The phone you buy today isn't necessarily the phone you'll be buying 2 years from now. As much as people would like to put these phones at war with each other, the reality is that iPhone, WebOS, Android and WinMo are ALL GOING IN THE SAME DIRECTION.

Many things present in our Pre came from the iPhone. And many things in the iPhone came from WinMo, PalmOS or whatever. Nobody "owns" these concepts so the idea of multitasking in the iPhone or (gasp) a compass in a Pre aren't only plausible, they are almost guaranteed.

I agree. In every industry competition is good for consumers. It breeds innovation. As it has been said before there is plenty of room in this market for 4-5 major players.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post

Actually, the G1 has a compass, way before the 3Gs was released
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPre1337 View Post
    The iPhone will never have proper multitasking, but Apple *might* allow SOME trusted developers (read: big corporate companies) to make apps that run in the background.
    You really have no idea what you are talking about. The iPhone already has "proper" multitasking. Third Party apps are not allowed to take advantage of it but that problem can be solved on a jail broken phone by installing a 3rd party task switcher.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    You really have no idea what you are talking about. The iPhone already has "proper" multitasking. Third Party apps are not allowed to take advantage of it but that problem can be solved on a jail broken phone by installing a 3rd party task switcher.
    Thats not something everyone is willing to do though. Its not multitasking for the masses. Thats like having to root the Pre to install 3rd party apps right now, its not acceptable, nor should jailbreaking an iPhone be the solution for multitasking.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast