Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36
  1. mtgmt's Avatar
    Posts
    333 Posts
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by biggamer3 View Post
    Obviously the second generation Pre will give the next gen Iphone the big run for its money. being that the Pre's main selling point is the multitasking capability, is their any way that the Iphone WONT have multitasking?

    I am sure ever since they saw the Pre's they said "damn, we gotta get that too".

    My question is, is it possible for Apple to include the coding for multitasking without rewriting their whole operating system?
    who cares we have pre's

    sorry
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    Whole concept of having the nearly-complete web on a smart phone came first with the iPhone and its Safari browser. Every smart phone after it has copied that model because consumers want a complete web.
    Opera Mobile came out in 2003. Opera Mini came out in 2006. The iPhone came out in 2007. Did they come up with the concept? No. Did they popularize it? Yes.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Thats not something everyone is willing to do though. Its not multitasking for the masses. Thats like having to root the Pre to install 3rd party apps right now, its not acceptable, nor should jailbreaking an iPhone be the solution for multitasking.
    True, it is not multi-tasking for the masses. However, it does demonstrate that Apple could very easily enable 3rd party multitasking for those masses anytime it chooses to. To suggest (as the poster I responded to did), that the iPhone will never have "proper" multi-tasking is absurd.
  4. #24  
    I'm a long long time Apple customer. I'm also a fanboy and have followed the company closely for years. None of what I say is verifiable fact but I do think I have a 'feel' for how the company operates by now. (My first Mac I used was when I was in grade school back in 1992, been loving them ever since. Also used Apple IIs in first grade on up).

    Apple concentrates on giving the user a great 'experience' with their products. If a feature can be added but there are downsides to that feature then Apple won't include it no matter how much other people ***** and moan about it not being there. Multitasking is a perfect example. As you yourselves now from your Pres, multitasking runs down batteries. If Apple didn't care about providing a great experience then they'd enable Multitasking. But they didn't and they won't, for a very long time until the hardware technology both in batteries and processors catches up so that using multitasking won't cause a noticeable drain on battery life. This is the same reason Apple won't allow Flash on the iPhone. A phone with a dead battery is anything but a good experience. As for those who point out the lack of a removable battery in the iPhone, well most people who own phones where they CAN replace the battery almost never do. When designing a product you have to pick your features for the type of market you want. You design for geeks and your designing for 20% of the market, you design for regular folks and you're designing for 80% of the market.

    So my best reasonable guess would be 3-5 generations out the iPhone will get multitasking. Might be sooner if real breakthroughs in battery tech are made.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    I agree. In every industry competition is good for consumers. It breeds innovation. As it has been said before there is plenty of room in this market for 4-5 major players.
    Thats the greatest thing about the Pre and the Android coming out, even if someone is an Apple fan, the Iphone is being challenged too improve each version because of the competition getting stronger.

    The more smartphones there are the better we are as consumers!
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by NDPTAL85 View Post
    I'm a long long time Apple customer. I'm also a fanboy and have followed the company closely for years. None of what I say is verifiable fact but I do think I have a 'feel' for how the company operates by now. (My first Mac I used was when I was in grade school back in 1992, been loving them ever since. Also used Apple IIs in first grade on up).

    Apple concentrates on giving the user a great 'experience' with their products. If a feature can be added but there are downsides to that feature then Apple won't include it no matter how much other people ***** and moan about it not being there. Multitasking is a perfect example. As you yourselves now from your Pres, multitasking runs down batteries. If Apple didn't care about providing a great experience then they'd enable Multitasking. But they didn't and they won't, for a very long time until the hardware technology both in batteries and processors catches up so that using multitasking won't cause a noticeable drain on battery life. This is the same reason Apple won't allow Flash on the iPhone. A phone with a dead battery is anything but a good experience. As for those who point out the lack of a removable battery in the iPhone, well most people who own phones where they CAN replace the battery almost never do. When designing a product you have to pick your features for the type of market you want. You design for geeks and your designing for 20% of the market, you design for regular folks and you're designing for 80% of the market.

    So my best reasonable guess would be 3-5 generations out the iPhone will get multitasking. Might be sooner if real breakthroughs in battery tech are made.
    I dont get your point about Flash draining battery, those who want to use it will be aware of the drain. If u dont use it u wont get a drained battery. Thats like saying Apple wont include video because it drains battery
  7. #27  
    You severely over estimate the tech competence of most people. If folks see a feature on a phone they'll use it. The vast majority won't worry about or even think about whether or not it drains the battery fast. All video is not the same. The video formats that the iPhone plays are handled by the GPU. Flash as its currently made would have to be handled by the CPU which would require more battery power.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by NDPTAL85 View Post
    You severely over estimate the tech competence of most people. If folks see a feature on a phone they'll use it. The vast majority won't worry about or even think about whether or not it drains the battery fast. All video is not the same. The video formats that the iPhone plays are handled by the GPU. Flash as its currently made would have to be handled by the CPU which would require more battery power.
    I get your point but i dont think thats the reason why Apple wont be getting Flash.

    Pre owners like me who use the Navigator or Sprint TV understand it will drain the battery considerably faster, i think people will understand that Flash will do the same
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    Whole concept of having the nearly-complete web on a smart phone came first with the iPhone and its Safari browser. Every smart phone after it has copied that model because consumers want a complete web.

    I am sure, with consumer demand, future smart phones will have multi-tasking.
    I had Opera Mini on a flip phone well before the iPhone was even a glimmer in Apple's eye.
  10. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by NDPTAL85 View Post
    I'm a long long time Apple customer. I'm also a fanboy and have followed the company closely for years. None of what I say is verifiable fact but I do think I have a 'feel' for how the company operates by now.
    Sorry if this offends you but if people who WORK for Apple don't have a "feel" for how the company operates then why do you feel that you know anything about them.

    As a longtime Mac user myself then I've learned two things about Apple that go hand in hand with Apple's success. 1) Apple puts good products on the shelf. 2) Apple lies about what's coming next so you'll buy their current product on the shelf.

    Quote Originally Posted by NDPTAL85 View Post
    Apple concentrates on giving the user a great 'experience' with their products. If a feature can be added but there are downsides to that feature then Apple won't include it no matter how much other people ***** and moan about it not being there. Multitasking is a perfect example. As you yourselves now from your Pres, multitasking runs down batteries.
    You know what else runs down batteries? The battery guzzling 3GS. Yes, it's noticeably faster but if that speed costs battery life then it completely contradicts your "experience" theory about Apple.

    It sucks that both the 3GS and Pre won't last you 24hrs of use, but when they die then only one will let you swap the battery.
  11. notabun's Avatar
    Posts
    225 Posts
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    #31  
    I had the Pre for just under 30 days. I've had the 3G S for a week. The 3G S drains less battery by far in my personal experience.

    That being said, I don't believe battery drain is the reason why apple hasn't brought Flash in. I believe it's because Flash Lite sucked and they're waiting to see a successful implementation of Flash 10 mobile and the cost to implement it.
  12. #32  
    yeah, and that's the reason because WebOS, Android and Windows Mobile are going to receive beta versions of flash 10 and iPhoneOS don't...
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    Have you actually compared Opera Mobile and Opera Mini to Safari??? Opera is still a "mobile version" of the web; Although Safari can render mobile versions, it also renders the complete web (minus flash video).

    Safari started it and everyone else is trying to copy it.
    Opera Mini loads full webpages on my Nokia 5800.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Sorry if this offends you but if people who WORK for Apple don't have a "feel" for how the company operates then why do you feel that you know anything about them.

    As a longtime Mac user myself then I've learned two things about Apple that go hand in hand with Apple's success. 1) Apple puts good products on the shelf. 2) Apple lies about what's coming next so you'll buy their current product on the shelf.


    You know what else runs down batteries? The battery guzzling 3GS. Yes, it's noticeably faster but if that speed costs battery life then it completely contradicts your "experience" theory about Apple.

    It sucks that both the 3GS and Pre won't last you 24hrs of use, but when they die then only one will let you swap the battery.
    I feel I do because I feel I do. Can't help the way I feel now can I? Might also be connected to my successfully predicting what the company will do over a long enough period of time. Try it yourself. Mark down some guesses, see how they play out, do it again, over and over for a number of years. If you score above .500 then you're onto something. If not then well no huge harm done is there?

    First the 3GS lasts longer than the Pre even though it has 3G speeds. I think the 3G(Not-S) also lasts longer and it also has 3G speeds. There's a balance between a good experience and providing essential features. Obviously Apple felt the 3G speed was essential. They DID wait till they found an acceptable 3G chip though as they didn't come out with it in the first gen iPhone.

    As to the swappable battery issue thats so amazingly overblown. As I said before almost nobody swaps out batteries in their phone. Why? Because to do so you'd have to carry them with you. Unless you're willing to saddle your pants pockets down with extra cell phone batteries you can see why this is such a non-issue. That being said the iPhone eco-system has produced many many great dual-use external batteries for the iPhone that double as protective cases. Here are a few examples.


    mophie - iPhone Battery, iPod Cases, iPhone accessories and more!
    FastMac | Product - iPhone External Battery Pack
    http://www.phonesuit.com/products/Mi...ack-14-10.html

    I use one myself but mine is a cheaper $20 eBay model that allows me to position the iPhone on a table so I can read when I'm at a restaurant. Here it is: NEW EXTENDED BATTERY SKIN CASE CHARGER FOR APPLE iPHONE - eBay (item 350204251018 end time Jul-19-09 04:56:09 PDT)

    Between the iPhone's built in battery and the external one I do in fact get 24 hours of power out of it. If it really was an issue at prices that low I could buy 2 or 3 and just keep one constantly charging at home or at work and swap when I get to where I'm going.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by biggamer3 View Post
    I get your point but i dont think thats the reason why Apple wont be getting Flash.

    Pre owners like me who use the Navigator or Sprint TV understand it will drain the battery considerably faster, i think people will understand that Flash will do the same
    I personally don't care for flash since it seems to tax even my desktop fairly well when viewing YouTube videos. I would love to see a rapid change to more current web standards like Firefox and Webkit are doing now with HTML5 and embedded video. With YouTube already switching to h264 for mobile and many sites getting away from Flash I say it's as good of time as any to ditch it.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    I had Opera Mini on a flip phone well before the iPhone was even a glimmer in Apple's eye.
    Opera Mini is a poor excuse for mobile browsing and I personally don't think it's any better now than it was 5 years ago. It certainly doesn't hold a candle to the modern webkit based mobile browsers.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions