Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Smartphone Speed Tests: Which New Phone is Best for Type A Users? - PC World

Smartphone Speed Tests: Which New Phone is Best for Type A Users?
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    the 3GS is a lot faster and not just in opening programs. Scrolling speed and checker board loading are much better as well. The Pre has a long way to go in improving snapiness and general system lag. Not to mention memory leaks.

For a light weight OS WebOS certainly feels bloated most of the time. Hopefully Palm can get it better optimized.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aridon View Post
    the 3gs is a lot faster and not just in opening programs. Scrolling speed and checker board loading are much better as well. The pre has a long way to go in improving snapiness and general system lag. Not to mention memory leaks.

For a light weight os webos certainly feels bloated most of the time. Hopefully palm can get it better optimized.
    agreed!
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    In your dreams.
    Yeah, let us compare mature systems with a 1.0 system, the Pre holds its own for a system less than a month old!
    No flame pls, but i've been playing with a G1 and I find Android more robust (app launch speeds and such) than WebOS on the Pre. Yes WebOS is newer and more virginal right now but I don't remember any of these lagginess at the demo launch with Mr Duarté.

Just the other day, it took almost 20 secs for the calendar app to open on my friends Pre. The rest take maybe half that to launch which is more tolerable but still not great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    For a light weight OS WebOS certainly feels bloated most of the time.
    In what way is web os a 'lightweight os'? Compared to a desktop os?
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Just the other day, it took almost 20 secs for the calendar app to open on my friends Pre. The rest take maybe half that to launch which is more tolerable but still not great.
    If it's taking 10 seconds to open most apps, somethins is wrong - exchange it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Really? 20 seconds for the calendar app? After multiple test with multiple apps open I am right around 4 seconds to open the calendar, not sure whats wrong with your friends Pre because thats not normal.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    This is complete crap.
    How about they test how to do multiple things at one time... since only the Pre can do that.
    With this page open, Calender took 2.5 seconds to open.
    20 seconds? 10 seconds? Both are ridiculously high. I tested mine on multiple apps after reading the above post and I didn't have one that took longer than 7 seconds to completely launch. Calendar, on average, took 3.5 seconds to open.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    the fact that they even considered testing the boot time makes the whole testing stupid- I mean honestly how many people worry about reboot time.

I guess I'm less concerned about hardcore speed than overall usability. The palm pre has a usability up there with the iphone. And its light years ago that nokia. I would love to see the pre increase in speed (which we might see with updates) but for now I'm happy. People need to get over trying to prove intangibles.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    ...not to mention memory leaks.....
    This has become such an overused accusation it's becoming ridiculous. Specifically where do you think there's a memory leak, and please include some evidence. While the possibility certainly exists, without profiling tools there's no way to identify a memory leak. Heck, we don't even have an app that can show us basic memory usage - so how are people so convinced that the Pre is leaking memory?
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Because I had one card open (messaging) and got the "delete cards to free more memory" message today. That was fun.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ant1pathy View Post
    Because I had one card open (messaging) and got the "delete cards to free more memory" message today. That was fun.
    What apps were you running previously? I haven't had a "close cards to free up memory" alert since 1.02. And that includes frequent usage of Pandora and some other 3rd party apps.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Web. 3 cards, and closed them once I got the warning. No dice.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Did a test just for the hell raise and got a whopping 21 cards open before memory warning popped up. All this and Pandora was still crankin' in the background... Calendar still opened up and was usable in under 5 seconds. The Pre is plenty fast. If it's not fast enough for you, put down the crack pipe and chill. . .

If it cuts you off at less than 10 cards do a soft reset and that should help.

(There are a handful of YouTube videos to prove this)
    Last edited by Freshyz; 07/04/2009 at 10:44 PM.
    if u have to do a soft reset, that sort of points to a memory leak, eh?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast