Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Overheating iPhone 3GS: Apple blames the weather - Telegraph

I am not here to start a flame war, I am here because after reading that I believe Apple as company owes their customer base a better explaination and fix. I mean imagine we all got our Pre's (which they tend to get hot when charging) and they turn on but in the winter they turn off because it is to cold. Then Palm says well keep it away from cold weather. That would be terrible.

This is about company accountability and not bashing the phone or fanbase.
    What good is a man if he can not change the world?
    Kingdom of Heaven
    Last edited by PalmPre1337; 09/15/2012 at 03:53 PM.
    So you cant use it during the day is what there saying? maybe thats why they made the screen brighter
    Well, that is simply because Apple cannot possibly be at fault. It must be the weather! But, that said, at least they are acknowledging the problem. Although, they certainly should be taking responsibility for it.

I wish Palm would at least acknowledge the pres hardware issues. I've only had my lovely little pre 7 days and the slider is getting down right scary. Who knows -- in time perhaps Palm will blame it on the weather
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPre1337 View Post
    iPhone 3G is crap, iPhone 3GS is stupidly over priced (in the UK anyway) and, even though 3.0 made it a lot better, is still missing lots of stuff (what kind of smartphone dosen't multitask?), but I see that Apple is still thinking ahead with the new features... IT CAN BOIL EGGS!
    Lol the new commercial of voice command my mom watched it and said hey my free phone i got 2 years ago does that... they try to make ev erything look like its so revolutionary -.-
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyrevu View Post
    Lol the new commercial of voice command my mom watched it and said hey my free phone i got 2 years ago does that... they try to make ev erything look like its so revolutionary -.-
    They said that copy and paste was "quite amazing" too! That's the Apple PRPRPR $machine$ $for$ $you$...
  7.    #7  
    My slider has gotten a bit looser as well, but I like it. I don't have to stuggle to open it with one hand any more. I have to say, with all the bad I read on these boards about people and their Pres, mine has been perfect. Even the battery life has improved, (still not quite where I want it) but good enough to get me through the day.
    What good is a man if he can not change the world?
    Kingdom of Heaven
    I'm sorry, but the Cortex A8 based chips seem to run very hot, especially at 500-600mhz. This isn't surprising, considering how hot both of my Pre's ran before I enabled cpu scaling. Even when not at load, just sitting in my pocket, they'd get hot enough to boil water, just absurd.
    Sorry, but that is a stupid article. If you check ANY electronic device, the manufacturer has guidelines on the storage temperature range and operating temperature range. This nothing out of the ordinary and Apple just updated the support article to include the 3GS
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Ummm ......

Seeing as our PRE's DON'T EVEN HAVE VOICE DIAL (yet/will they ever?)I'm not sure smug is the way to go on this one ....

No I don't own an i('mcoolllookatme)phone, never intended to but the lack of basic voice functionality with no fix promised or in site will probably having me sporting an i by the end of business on July 5th

DAMN YOU PALM for making me a fanboy !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by willyrick View Post
    Ummm ......

Seeing as our PRE's DON'T EVEN HAVE VOICE DIAL (yet/will they ever?)I'm not sure smug is the way to go on this one ....

No I don't own an i('mcoolllookatme)phone, never intended to but the lack of basic voice functionality with no fix promised or in site will probably having me sporting an i by the end of business on July 5th

Ok but when they have an update or an app (if) im sure they wont have a 30 second commercial making it look like they invented it as apple does with everything.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
    Sorry, but that is a stupid article. If you check ANY electronic device, the manufacturer has guidelines on the storage temperature range and operating temperature range. This nothing out of the ordinary and Apple just updated the support article to include the 3GS
    I disagree. Sure, most electronic devices have an operating temperature range, but the point is the operating temperature range needs to be acceptable for its application. If the application is a phone, the temperature range needs to reflect common usage situations such as leaving it sitting in your car on a hot day without coming back to an overheated phone.

This applies to the Pre as well. Some of the heat issues people are reporting are pretty incredible (such as "boiling" hot). I've never had any issues with mine though.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I would hope not - and I know that's your point
    BUT
    the startling lack of a basic feature that may -or may not- be addressed in a timely? fashion by an app is indefensible and one might venture a guess that Apple saw an oppurtunity for a wedge and took it. One could even speculate that Apple knows something about the PRE's hardware capabilities that we (I?) don't and isn't just hawking a temporary but very important difference ....

Ok but when they have an update or an app (if) im sure they wont have a 30 second commercial making it look like they invented it as apple does with everything.
    Ummm ......

I've had voice dial on every phone i can remeber besides my pre... the only times i recall using it is when i first get the phone to check it out or to make fun of somebody by calling them something hilarious. It's not a convenient feature, speed dial is so much quicker.
    Have any of you that watched the voice dial commercial noticed that that command structure and even the dialer voice is the same as ... THE INSTINCT! I wasn't paying attention to my TV when that came on and when the voice dial lady's voice came on I was like WTF? Did they just steal a Sprint feature? LOL.
    Umm..if Palm ever spent 30 seconds describing and showing off just one feature in a commercial, i'd fall over in shock.

It's amazing to see what people think though. Why wouldn't you show off a desired feature? Apple didn't invent the concept of copy n paste but they sure as heck reinvented it for a touch only device that sports just one button. Copy n paste is dead simple to do on the iphone. Apple didn't invent video recording either, but their version of it looks great as well with editing capabilities built in. I'd advertise it. Why wouldn't you?

Its not like Palm doesn't have amazing features to show off...but they don't do it. Instead they go for creating something bizarre with some lady standing on a rock surrounded by synchronized Chinese dancers in prison garb.

This isn't about being a fanboy or whatever, its about having common sense.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I'm sure many people don't use voicedial, but it's an important basic feature and I use it (or would) 20-30 times a day in my line of work. As a parallel: I'm guessing alot of people don't use the PRE's WiFi capabilities, but for a smartphone/PDA to not have that feature embedded would be pretty unacceptable to alot of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by tman9476 View Post
    I've had voice dial on every phone i can remeber besides my pre... the only times i recall using it is when i first get the phone to check it out or to make fun of somebody by calling them something hilarious. It's not a convenient feature, speed dial is so much quicker.
    the voice dialing on instinct was a cute thing to have but rarely worked right and it had no apps. I had to hack into it just to get video to work half decent. My pre is much better all around. Would it be nice to have voice dialing yes if it works.
    I'm sure many people don't use voicedial, but it's an important basic feature and I use it (or would) 20-30 times a day in my line of work. As a parallel: I'm guessing alot of people don't use the PRE's WiFi capabilities, but for a smartphone/PDA to not have that feature embedded would be pretty unacceptable to alot of people.
    I don't think so. I'd say more people than not use the wifi connection, at least on these boards. It's said to increase battery life as well and tested by people on the boards.

You're right when you say many people don't use voicedial. Palm probably has things higher up on their plate that appeal to a wider audience, like a video function. Voice dial will probably come, if not by Palm, then by a third party.
    I saw this article right after coming in from the pool. It's a typical hot Texas day out, been hovering around 100 all morning. When I picked up my phone to come in, I noticd it was very hot (no duh there, 100 degrees out, and it's a black phone). As I read the article, I thought "Yeah, the combination of black, the heat, and the fact that phone is still doing stuff even when it's not used, but wow... that thing is hot"

Then I picked it up, and the real kicker hit - it had shut itself off! I powered it back on, and when it came up, the battery was at 90%, so that wasn't the problem.

Now, this isn't a "Paaaalllmmmmm - Fix this NOW" type thing, but I do believe that smart phone mfgs are going to have to realize - they have to make these things to operate in real world conditions. That means if it runs hot normally in the wintertime, problems are going to crop up in the summer time, and especially inside cars.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast