Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by tman9476 View Post
    I've had voice dial on every phone i can remeber besides my pre... the only times i recall using it is when i first get the phone to check it out or to make fun of somebody by calling them something hilarious. It's not a convenient feature, speed dial is so much quicker.
    Voice dialing isn't a deal breaker for me, but I did like having it on my Treo. I usually drive a GoldWing motorcycle, and I have a holder and wiring for my phone to plug it into the intercom system (or rather, I did, none of it fits my Pre, and I haven't reinstalled yet). It was nice to be able to press only one button (the side button) to activate the voice dialing, and then call who I needed. Didn't use it often, but it was good when I could.

That said, I was using a third party app. I'm sure we'll see something similar soon for the Pre.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Good points:

voicedial is not the same as voice command - I think most people assume vd to be a set set of vc, with vd being a basic given. vc is really what the PRE should have (I'd settle for basic vd at this point (don't say it !!! )

the functioon or app is wothless if it's buggy, and in my experience PLAM doesn't have the best record when it comes to external controls like voice, bluetooth etc.

Anyone with iphone experience care to comment on i's vc function?

Quote Originally Posted by first_adam2k View Post
    the voice dialing on instinct was a cute thing to have but rarely worked right and it had no apps. I had to hack into it just to get video to work half decent. My pre is much better all around. Would it be nice to have voice dialing yes if it works.
    Why do you guys post so much Apple related stuff on a Palm site??
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    Why do you guys post so much Apple related stuff on a Palm site??
    More importantly, why are they allowed to? Mods, you gotta start nuking threads and swinging the banhammer. I mean, come on already....enough. Enforce the forum rules.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    More importantly, why are they allowed to? Mods, you gotta start nuking threads and swinging the banhammer. I mean, come on already....enough. Enforce the forum rules.
    I posted the article to be more of a shame on you to Apple for treating their customers unfairly. This was supposed to be a discussion about being a customer and expecting certain things from your respective company. I didn't have the intention of it being a bashfest.
    What good is a man if he can not change the world?
    Kingdom of Heaven
    Quote Originally Posted by homerlanza View Post
    I posted the article to be more of a shame on you to Apple for treating their customers unfairly. This was supposed to be a discussion about being a customer and expecting certain things from your respective company. I didn't have the intention of it being a bashfest.
    Why not post articles on how Costco treats their customers fairly like Palm should? Oh...I know why. Because this is a Palm Pre forum. If you wanna discuss Palm's behavior toward customers in regards to the Pre...great. If you wanna discuss Apple's behavior regarding something they do or even in regard to the Pre, either hit the Cross Platform chat forum or hit an Apple forum.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    "The iPhone 3Gs should only be operated when the external temperature is between 32 degrees and 95 degrees." Apple

So, i guess the southern half of the states can't use their iPhone 3Gs during the summer days and the upper half can't use their phones during the whole winter...
  8.    #28  
    Why not post articles on how Costco treats their customers fairly like Palm should? Oh...I know why. Because this is a Palm Pre forum. If you wanna discuss Palm's behavior toward customers in regards to the Pre...great. If you wanna discuss Apple's behavior regarding something they do or even in regard to the Pre, either hit the Cross Platform chat forum or hit an Apple forum.
    OR you could just ignore the thread. What a novel idea. Get off your high horse because this is about how customers are being given the shaft by a company. This is a community of smart phone users and this is a smart phone issue.
    Kingdom of Heaven
    Quote Originally Posted by first_adam2k View Post
    the voice dialing on instinct was a cute thing to have but rarely worked right and it had no apps. I had to hack into it just to get video to work half decent. My pre is much better all around. Would it be nice to have voice dialing yes if it works.
    Voice dial is a gimmick.... Give me a speed dial over voice dial anyday, especially when paired with a qwerty keyboard. i.e. press and hold "M" for Mom, "D" for Dad etc etc. I never used voice dial even when my phone had it in the past.

By the time you get the voice dial prompt speaking.... my speed dialed number is already ringing.

And yes... I consider 1 button speed dialing safe while driving.
    Quote Originally Posted by homerlanza View Post
    OR you could just ignore the thread. What a novel idea. Get off your high horse because this is about how customers are being given the shaft by a company. This is a community of smart phone users and this is a smart phone issue.
    People shouldnt have to "ignore the thread". This is a freakin Palm Pre forum, not an Apple bashing forum. This thread has absolutly NOTHING to do with the Pre whatsoever & might as well had been about a car company or something. A select few of you have to inflate your egos more & justify going with the Pre by bashing the direct competition any chance you get.

You people need to get a life & post stuff thats relevant to the discussion of the subject at hand, which is THE PRE.

Yeah mods, whats up?? Maybe instead of giving people infractions by using "dirty" words like "poo" & such, you start cleaning up garbage threads like this?? Just a thought.
  11. dgj
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    Well, that is simply because Apple cannot possibly be at fault. It must be the weather! But, that said, at least they are acknowledging the problem. Although, they certainly should be taking responsibility for it.

I wish Palm would at least acknowledge the pres hardware issues. I've only had my lovely little pre 7 days and the slider is getting down right scary. Who knows -- in time perhaps Palm will blame it on the weather
    NNNOOO!!! ITS THAT GLOBAL WARMING!!! That's the fault of every problem doncha know? Government really needs to tax, control, and put an end to all those co2 emissions. Oh ya...they will..with the cap and trade tax.

sorry. off topic a bit
  12. dgj
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    @peestandingup

hmm..why so glum chum? I've seem more post on this thread discussing voice dial features and device operating temperature ranges. I guess I missed the fuss on that one.
    Last edited by PalmPre1337; 09/15/2012 at 03:53 PM.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Umm..if Palm ever spent 30 seconds describing and showing off just one feature in a commercial, i'd fall over in shock.

It's amazing to see what people think though. Why wouldn't you show off a desired feature? Apple didn't invent the concept of copy n paste but they sure as heck reinvented it for a touch only device that sports just one button. Copy n paste is dead simple to do on the iphone. Apple didn't invent video recording either, but their version of it looks great as well with editing capabilities built in. I'd advertise it. Why wouldn't you?

Its not like Palm doesn't have amazing features to show off...but they don't do it. Instead they go for creating something bizarre with some lady standing on a rock surrounded by synchronized Chinese dancers in prison garb.

This isn't about being a fanboy or whatever, its about having common sense.
    Palm has to take a different marketing approach than Apple. If you make a commercial where you set the Pre down and show off some of it's great features, you're only a crappy guitar song away from having an iPhone commercial. In that case it can look like the Pre is trying to imitate the iPhone.

Great things can market themselves. There's never been a commercial for Google, Facebook or Firefox. It just catches on.
  15.    #35  
    People shouldnt have to "ignore the thread". This is a freakin Palm Pre forum, not an Apple bashing forum. This thread has absolutly NOTHING to do with the Pre whatsoever & might as well had been about a car company or something. A select few of you have to inflate your egos more & justify going with the Pre by bashing the direct competition any chance you get.

You people need to get a life & post stuff thats relevant to the discussion of the subject at hand, which is THE PRE.

Yeah mods, whats up?? Maybe instead of giving people infractions by using "dirty" words like "poo" & such, you start cleaning up garbage threads like this?? Just a thought.
    Maybe you should have read my OP when I said this wasn't about bashing the IPHONE, my anger was directed at the company for telling its customers to not use it with direct contact to the sun (outside) etc. This is about a smart phone communuity get shafted by its company and it is something for all of us to discuss. If anyone here is trying to start a flame war, it's you. Point the accusatory finger at all of who were having a civil discussion. Thank goodness you aren't a mod.
    Kingdom of Heaven
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    I have the 3G S and have yet to feel it get as hot as my Pre did. The Pre will probably be my next device again if it makes it to verizon with a polished OS, a bigger screen and hopefully no physical keyboard.
    People shouldnt have to "ignore the thread". This is a freakin Palm Pre forum, not an Apple bashing forum.

Read the forum title, fools. It's "Cross Platform Chat." Posting about other phones is what it's for. Just because you can't read, doesn't mean the rest of us can't.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPre1337 View Post
    I have a Nokia 5800 (no Pre here yet) and not only can it do all the flashy voice things the iPhone can, it also does more video editing than the 3GS, it has the same camera, flash, Flash (the internet thing Apple refuses to use), expandable memory, J2ME support, Bluetooth file transfer... Just so many things the iPhone can't, at least not without a great deal of hacking.

Yet Nokia don't advertise it all, claiming they made it revonlutionary or whatever...

Don't get me wrong, though, I'm not being a Nokia fanboy and I plan to sell it as soon as the Pre is out here, but the point still stands.
    That phone isn't even in the same world as the Pre or iPhone. It comes with a stylus for god sakes.. haha. It might be packed with features, but none of them work easily or particularly well. I've had my experience with many Nokia including the E71 I got rid of a couple months ago. Symbian doesn't hold a candle to any of the new mobile OSes out right now.
    Last edited by PalmPre1337; 09/15/2012 at 03:52 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12