Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I have had the Pre for a couple weeks. Like it. Traded up from a fairly basic Verizon phone. Just got into texting my kids, cool. Love the browser and email push.

But I mainly went with the Pre for the soul reason of price. I had an opportunity to share a friends plan so I got unlimited text and data for "Less" than I was paying for a basic phone service.

If not for that AND (maybe) the fact AT&T reception is not as good, I would have gone with iphone. Right now and IMHO for the foreseeable future, Pre just can not compete with the apps.

Maybe the way to go would be a Pre and a ipod touch... hummmm, best of both maybe?
    That's what i have. Except i have a first generation iTouch and Apple with its just released 3.0 update for it and the iPhone is asking me to shell out another 9.95 to be able to update it. I don't understand why its even doing that if only to milk its products a little more.

That said, i have the Pre, and i love it, and i have an iTouch, and it does it work as well. To tell you the truth though, while i used to have the Touch in my car to listen to music the Pre has completely surpassed it. I just put up the GPS and Pandora, and just get to listen to music through the aux cable in the car. Its pretty great. Though, for versatility, and still getting to use the APPS (which i only have like... 15 max on the Touch), just go for both, and get the best of both worlds for cheaper monthly service to boot.
    Sure, whatever. Depends on what you wanted from the ipod/iphone. But to my mind, better just to carry one device so maybe you should reconsider the "cheap plan" and just go for the iphone and tighten your budget in another area. I assume you have a few more days to return the pre.

Paired the pre with bluetooth and it was terrific. I listened to music, took calls and emails when they came in, all the while in the park. I did not have to carry anything else except for ID,--a big plus.
    can't beat Sprints $99.99 unlimited compared to AT&T is around $160 +
    Just get an Ipod touch, it'll still save you money since the Iphone would have cost you $720+ a year. I haven't used my touch in the last 3 weeks, and got a nano to use at the gym. Don't think you'll miss those apps that much man. A lot of them are fun, but useless and you'll grow tired of them after a while.
    Originally posted by ClevelandSteamers:
    Just get an Ipod touch, it'll still save you money since the Iphone would have cost you $720+ a year. I haven't used my touch in the last 3 weeks, and got a nano to use at the gym. Don't think you'll miss those apps that much man. A lot of them are fun, but useless and you'll grow tired of them after a while.
    Because of Pandora and bluetooth, I don't even use the iPod at the gym. The only thing I use the iPod for is audible, but even there, I'm starting to use Classic and the Pre speakers.

I'm beginning to use my iPod as an audible bookreader on my nightstand. I use it so infrequently anyplace else that I'm beginning to leave it places that I shouldn't. Last night I left it at work and had to call my assistant to have her lock it up in my desk.

The iPod loads a lot faster, but it's time to leave it home. My husband has an iPod connection in his car so I have him the old nano . The battery doesn't last, but since it's connected to a power source in the car, that's not an issue. I think that a lot of us Pre owners will find ourselves less and less willing to carry two devices when the Pre does it all.
    I switched to Sprint about three months ago from the iPhone/AT&T and while I like Sprint, I am not as satisfied with the coverage. Giving up the iPhone was the single most horrible day in my life. I switched due to the cost, Sprint gives me double of everything for $40 less per month than AT&T. I miss my iPhone...

I started Sprint with the Touch, then moved to the Touch Pro, Instinct, Blackberry, and now trying the Pre... I hope it is half as good as the iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarok View Post
    That's what i have. Except i have a first generation iTouch and Apple with its just released 3.0 update for it and the iPhone is asking me to shell out another 9.95 to be able to update it. I don't understand why its even doing that if only to milk its products a little more.
    In fairness to Apple, they have to charge for the update due to Sarbanes-Oxley accounting rules. They don't charge for the iPhone update because they're realizing their revenue from it over 2 years. I'm sure the $9.95 probably just covers the cost of selling the software.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I'm in a similar boat. I think the iPhone is a fantastic device, but the plans to support it are just too expensive. The Pre is good, and imho would come closer to the iPhone if the hardware were a little more solid. I'm not too worried about the application scene, as I'm sure it will explode once the SDK goes public. I do like the idea of the iPhone as a music player, as its interface for that is better than the Pre's, but I'm not so hardcore about music that the Pre can't fit my needs. Besides, being able to stream Pandora while getting gps nav directions and whatever else is pretty slick.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    Definitely not a waste of money to go with the Pre + Touch. The Touch is a very nice product. You can go a couple of days without charging it if you use it for music and light browsing. You get the Apple App store, an iPod, and a good web browser. I love the combo, its the best of both worlds.
    Phone: 700p > Pre
    PMP: Archos 605 (30GB) and iPod Touch (16GB)
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I have the Pre and iPod Touch also. I've talked to a few iPhone users that still carry an iPod just to reduce battery drain on the phone. I think that's what I'd still do, too, even if I had the iPhone. But, I'm one of those paranoid users that always thinks I'm gonna run out of battery and I just never seem to charge during the day.

I do like having two separate devices. I can load all my entertainment on my iPod Touch and use Pandora on my Pre. That leaves plenty of room for pics on my Pre, that happens to have a pretty darn good camera.
    yea I'm enjoying my new iPhone 3GS, but the Pre will shine soon, once the apps start rolling in and people start cracking open the device
    ( pre-wallpapers.com ) - Over 7000+ Wallpapers for your Palm Pre... Enjoy!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by ClevelandSteamers View Post
    I agree that there are a LOT of useless apps. BUT In anticipation of getting an iphone (which I thought I was going to do) over the last year or so I have tracked the apps coming out. I have about two dozen or so that I THINK I would use. About half of those I KNOW I could use. My point being none of them are available for Pre. While I agree once the kit is available apps will start to roll, I think it will take time.

I really don't WANT to carry two devises. I'm just worried I may have to.

What I forgot to mention in my first post is I am a Mac user through and through. Been so since the first Macs on the market. So there is a part of me that feels like a traitor But with the economy, I have no other choice. I really do hope, like some of you believe, that the Pre app market will explode. I think for it to have a LASTING place in the market, it has to.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    In fairness to Apple, they have to charge for the update due to Sarbanes-Oxley accounting rules. They don't charge for the iPhone update because they're realizing their revenue from it over 2 years. I'm sure the $9.95 probably just covers the cost of selling the software.
    various folks (but not apple) have blamed SOA for apple charging for updates to the ipod touch- but nobody can point to any provision in SOA that would require such. can you point to something, or are you just parroting excuses that others have made for apple?
    My company just offered me a 3GS for free (we are a mac company, it's horrifying having to use OSX every day). I said no thanks and am currently trying to see if they will subsidize my phone plan on my Pre instead.

I actually feel a tinge of livid whenever I see someone with an iphone for some reason -it drives me crazy how trendy they are. The only place I was calm was in Finland, because they all have Nokia (pride I guess).

Different strokes for different folks.
    I don't see why people complain about lack of apps. Not too long ago, there was almost no such thing as an app store. All we wanted our smartphones to do was: be a phone, check email, some web browsing and maybe play a game or two. Now it's a make-or-break deal with some people. Phones didn't always have apps at all. They were just cellphones. What did you all do back then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator-1 View Post
    I don't see why people complain about lack of apps. Not too long ago, there was almost no such thing as an app store. All we wanted our smartphones to do was: be a phone, check email, some web browsing and maybe play a game or two. Now it's a make-or-break deal with some people. Phones didn't always have apps at all. They were just cellphones. What did you all do back then?
    The answer you are going to get with that statement from many here - is something along the lines of "Apple changed the game", and that now all new spartphones must, for some reason, do at least what iphones do now (not at iphone launch) when they launch.

I hear the same argument about World of Warcraft. Many claim that nobody can ever compete with World of Warcraft because it's been out too long and offers too many features - and that any competitor would have to offer just as many features at it's launch to compete. It's hogwash.

I don't quite get that logic, never have. I take great satisfaction supporting a brand new product and being with it as it grows.
    Last edited by Beanis; 07/02/2009 at 10:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
    various folks (but not apple) have blamed SOA for apple charging for updates to the ipod touch- but nobody can point to any provision in SOA that would require such. can you point to something, or are you just parroting excuses that others have made for apple?
    Its not the Sarbanes Oxley Act that you're trying to reference, Sarbox is a primarily an internal control regulation.

[ accounting talk]

The issue here is revenue recognition with multiple deliverables as defined by SOP 97-2 (a statement from the SEC). The reasoning is that a company can't recognize revenue up-front for a selling a product if they haven't delivered everything they promised (i.e. software updates). But if they sell the updates seperately, those count as seperate deliverables.

[ /accounting talk]
    But there is now. Back in the day there was the Ford Model T. What else do you need to do with a car except have it get you from one place to another?
    It sucks playing thread cop today, but what's the purpose of the Cross-Platform forum if mods allow threads like this to stay in the Pre forum?

I mean, I have an iPod Touch too. Great device. Legitimate topic of discussion.

Just. Not. Here.
  20.    #20  
    Sorry and no offense, but statements like this just seem comical to me. It's the same when I hear my parents saying, "I don't see why you need to wear seat belt or have child seats! We didn't have them when we were young and we survived!"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast