Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    What's is the diff between what the pre does and what the iphone does wheb it comes to multi tasking? On the pre, if I play a youtube video it won't keep playing in the background if I want to listen to it. The same for the iphone. It seems like both phones have selective multitasking. Similar to how the old PalmOS could run ptunes in the background. Both pre and iphone can have music loading or websites loading in the background. So what is the real difference? In fact, the iphone doesn't have the memory management issues and apps like phone and calendar load up much faster than on the pre. Is the pre multitasking all hype? Why would I want to manage open apps and watch my memory if I don't have to.

Please someone elaborate.
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    No.
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    No.
    This is what I'm talking about you being an annoying fanboy. This guy has been a member since 2005, it's not like he just joined to cause a ruckus. Why don't you just explain it to him (without misrepresentating what the iPhone can and can't do) like any normal person would answer a question?
    iPhone does not have memory issues because it is NOT running multiple applications (aside from the select few "core" apps).
    Quote Originally Posted by samid View Post
    What's is the diff between what the pre does and what the iphone does wheb it comes to multi tasking? On the pre, if I play a youtube video it won't keep playing in the background if I want to listen to it. The same for the iphone. It seems like both phones have selective multitasking. Similar to how the old PalmOS could run ptunes in the background. Both pre and iphone can have music loading or websites loading in the background. So what is the real difference? In fact, the iphone doesn't have the memory management issues and apps like phone and calendar load up much faster than on the pre. Is the pre multitasking all hype? Why would I want to manage open apps and watch my memory if I don't have to.

Thanks
    First, some apps do run in the background. The best example is Pandora. Another is Spaz, the Twitter client.

Second, the difference is that once an app is loaded, it's instantly available. Let's say it takes 2 seconds to load the calendar on the iPhone 3GS, and 4 seconds on the Pre (to give the iPhone a real "advantage" in this example).

If I access the calendar 10 different times throughout the day, that's 10 X 2 seconds = 20 seconds loading time on the iPhone. And, there are also some fractions of seconds needed to close the calendar before accessing the next application.

On my Pre, it's basically 1 X 4 = 4 seconds. If you want, add in the fractions of a second it takes to switch to the right card, and maybe the total is 5 seconds on the Pre.

And then this is true for every application. If it takes 5 seconds to open Pandora on the iPhone, and 8 seconds for the Pre (again, to give the iPhone an advantage), and you use Pandora in 10 different instances throughout the day, that means that you're spending 80 seconds opening Pandora on the iPhone vs. 8 seconds on the Pre. And, of course, Pandora can continue running on the Pre while you open a Web site, check your calendar, send/receive texts, send/receive email, etc. etc.

It's kind of like asking, "Why are modern, multitasking PC operating systems so much better than DOS? Why is the ability to open multiple applications and keep them instantly available better than just opening a single DOS application, since you need to worry about memory management and stuff?"

To me, it's such a no-brainer that I simply cannot understand how Apple gets away with marketing an app launcher as a modern mobile OS.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samid View Post

Thanks
    Id' try, but it would help if you have a degree in computer science and I actually know (or cared to know) how the iphone works.

Sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by djshack View Post
    iPhone does not have memory issues because it is NOT running multiple applications (aside from the select few "core" apps).
    Correct. The main advantage of the Pre's multitasking is that you can switch to other tasks with absolutely no impact to what you were doing before you switched. I think that's the biggest advantage.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    This is what I'm talking about you being an annoying fanboy. This guy has been a member since 2005, it's not like he just joined to cause a ruckus. Why don't you just explain it to him (without misrepresentating what the iPhone can and can't do) like any normal person would answer a question?
    Um..because i don't want to. And because there is a thread on this same page on this same topic...FAIL!!
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    It's not selective multitasking. All applications have the option to run in the background, either in their "card" view or in a "stub" mode which doesn't necessitate having a card open (think E-mail, SMS, phone or Tweed). You have to make a conscious choice as a developer whether you want it to run in the background or not. In the case of youtube, it doesn't make much sense to play a video in the background (plus it is rather resource intensive) so it pauses when you "minimize" it. It does continue to download the video stream, though, and you can see that when you flip back to the card.

The pTunes running in the background thing was an OS hack. PalmOS was NEVER designed to be a multitasking OS. The fact that any applications were able to do so was due to ingenuity on behalf of the app developers.

The iphone CAN multitask, however it only truly multitasks applications that Apple has decided can multitask (apps written by Apple - the music app, for instance). It isn't an option for 3rd party developers. This is Apple's conscious choice, likely due to a desire to limit the resource usage on the phone to protect battery life/"user experience".

Something like Google Latitude would not work on an iPhone, unless you had that app actually open and focused. It would work just fine on the Pre. Same thing goes for something like Pandora.
    It's simple really. Stuff like running Pandora and Sprint Nav while driving my car, getting interactive notifications while in other apps, bouncing back and forth between multiple web pages as they load, checking email at the same time. And most importantly, GTalk is always on, I correspond with people around the world at any time anywhere. They send me a message, I reply and go on my way. That's how I work on my computer, I'm used to it and expect it on my phone too. Just because Apple decided against it doesn't mean it's no longer important.

What's so hard to understand?

Unlike music there is little reason to play video in the background. If you can't look at it, what's the point? I think it's convenient that it pauses automatically.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    No.
    Um..because i don't want to. And because there is a thread on this same page on this same topic...FAIL!!
    So why waste your time and ours with a reply that brings nothing to the topic? You = FAIL

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    First, some apps do run in the background. The best example is Pandora. Another is Spaz, the Twitter client.
    True.

Second, the difference is that once an app is loaded, it's instantly available. Let's say it takes 2 seconds to load the calendar on the iPhone 3GS, and 4 seconds on the Pre (to give the iPhone a real "advantage" in this example).
    It doesn't take 2 seconds. It's nearly instant. The only difference in time is switching to the calendar on the Pre vs. pressing home and touching calendar on iPhone. If you enable advanced gestures you can get there in maybe a second depending on how many cards it is away. On the iPhone it's loaded in 1.5 seconds. Not only that, it didn't use any memory when you weren't in it, unlike the Pre. The 3GS is a whole different animal from the 3G. Switching between apps is no longer an advantage for the Pre. Stop spreading that. The big advantage now is multiple, live apps (and not Apple's predetermined ones) at once.

To me, it's such a no-brainer that I simply cannot understand how Apple gets away with marketing an app launcher as a modern mobile OS.
    Because it's stable, does what it's made for extremely well, and is very easy to use. No one has to deal with closing apps (I'm looking at you, grandma's) and running into sluggish performance. That's why. Will they change it? Yes.
    Here's a simple example to answer that question:

I recently went on a trip and used the Sprint Navigation system.
    The car I was in had Bluetooth that supported stereo streaming:
    I loaded up Pandora and started playing music.
    I then loaded up the sprint navigation app, with Pandora still playing.
    When an GPS announcment came up it mutted Pandora, whent he announcement was over Pandora played again.

Then a call came in, the GPS and Pandora muted, I finished my call and hung up and was greeted with an announcement from GPS and Pandora started playing again when the announcement was over.

That can't be done on an iPhone.

Oh... I was on AIM at the time as well, but didn't get any messages.
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
    Then why would you waste the time to post. You are complete fail.
    Switching between apps is no longer an advantage for the Pre.
    That's baloney.

I can select what apps, ANY apps, that I want to leave open and glide between them with a swipe of a finger. Let it go, man.
    It doesn't take 2 seconds. It's nearly instant. The only difference in time is switching to the calendar on the Pre vs. pressing home and touching calendar on iPhone. If you enable advanced gestures you can get there in maybe a second depending on how many cards it is away. On the iPhone it's loaded in 1.5 seconds. Not only that, it didn't use any memory when you weren't in it, unlike the Pre. The 3GS is a whole different animal from the 3G. Switching between apps is no longer an advantage for the Pre. Stop spreading that. The big advantage now is multiple, live apps (and not Apple's predetermined ones) at once.
    I'm basing my analysis on an application benchmark comparison between the 3GS and the Pre. The calendar might (or might not) be the best example, but the comparison remains the same. If you can't multitask, then every time you open (most) applications on the iPhone you're suffering from however long it takes for the application to load. On the Pre, you're not.

Also note that in an app like Spaz, which stays updated, that means that on the Pre switching to Spaz gives me an up-to-date look at my Twitter feed. On the iPhone, not only do I need to wait for the Twitter client to load, but I also need to wait for it to update. Every time.

Regarding memory management, since I can open 20 cards or so before I get any memory errors, I simply don't worry about keeping cards open. And any performance issues are OS optimizations--my Pre performs pretty much the same no matter what cards I have open. The only exception is that things do get a little (and I do mean, a little) choppy when I'm running Pandora in the background, but my Pre remains wonderfully usable even so. That's the kind of thing you simply cannot do in a single-tasking OS.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    true story

pre ftw
    While I don't have a Pre yet (August 1st please hurry!!!) I can give you an example of the non-multitasking nature of the iPhone.

My wife was using an iphone to chat with me over facebook. Every minute she'd go offline, come back, offline, come back. Turns out she was going from facebook to a website. Every time she switched apps, it would close facebook and lose connection. So I couldn't get messages to her. I believe the same thing happens with iphone chat clients (although I think 3.0 will enable chat process to run in the background).

While the Pre doesn't have a facebook app yet, hopefully they will soon and with chat. And if they do, the Pre will not have that problem. My wife could go to a website, check an email, and text message her sister and I'd be able message her in facebook the whole time. And likely thanks to the notification system, she'll see the notification at the bottom of the screen without being interrupted.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    That's baloney.

I can select what apps, ANY apps, that I want to leave open and glide between them with a swipe of a finger. Let it go, man.
    +1 for the full swipe. love it!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast