Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    That's baloney.

I can select what apps, ANY apps, that I want to leave open and glide between them with a swipe of a finger. Let it go, man.
    I know what you can do. But switching between them isn't an advantage anymore (if you're talking about speed/usability and not how cool it looks). I've used the Pre extensively (for hours) and I have the 3GS. The 3GS is so much faster than the previous iPhone's it's ridiculous. Opening apps are near instantaneous. The Pre has many advantages over the iPhone (wynnand32 or whatever mentioned some good ones in his last post), but speed of app switching is not one of them. He mentioned having the app updating in the background so it doesn't have to update when you switch to it. That's a great feature. But just loading normal applications isn't that different in speed. The advantages now are having apps open simulatenously for their usability, not for the quickness of loading/switching. Have YOU used a 3GS?
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    While I don't have a Pre yet (August 1st please hurry!!!) I can give you an example of the non-multitasking nature of the iPhone.

My wife was using an iphone to chat with me over facebook. Every minute she'd go offline, come back, offline, come back. Turns out she was going from facebook to a website. Every time she switched apps, it would close facebook and lose connection. So I couldn't get messages to her. I believe the same thing happens with iphone chat clients (although I think 3.0 will enable chat process to run in the background).

While the Pre doesn't have a facebook app yet, hopefully they will soon and with chat. And if they do, the Pre will not have that problem. My wife could go to a website, check an email, and text message her sister and I'd be able message her in facebook the whole time. And likely thanks to the notification system, she'll see the notification at the bottom of the screen without being interrupted.
    Yeah -- that's true. I think the Facebook App for iphone hasn't been updated yet for their Push notifications though. Also, your wife could just use a dedicated IM app which supports facebook and Push. She wouldn't appear to sign off once closing the app then. Or just wait till facebook updates their app for 3.0

I have to agree with the above poster -- my friend has a 3GS and it is quite fast (much faster than my iphone 3G was, which was already on par with my Pre). I still prefer the multitasking on the Pre, but Apple seems to have closed the gap pretty quickly :\
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    Because it's stable.
    As is the Pre
    does what it's made for extremely well.
    As does the Pre
    and is very easy to use.
    If we're talking interface, the Pre's got your phone beat buddy, sorry.
    No one has to deal with closing apps
    That's because no one has the option of keeping them open.
    Apple is VERY good at removing people's options and convincing them they don't need them.
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
    it is really interesting that those palm users who used to argue against multitasking now have to be on the opposite side.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    First...what's this about you being able to load web pages on the iPhone, leave the web app, switch to another app, work on it a bit, go back to the web app and have that page fully loaded already? To my knowledge you can't do that.

Second...there is a very distinct difference between the two. Even if you want to buy that the Pre is "limited" multitasking because videos tend not to play, this still presents a difference. The Pre's "Limited" multitasking is on the Developers themselves, choosing if they want their programs to be fully live or in a save state when you switch (for example, youtube's development chose to make it go in a sort of saved state as the resource drain from it was likely deemed to heavy for the limited amount of people that would actually want to have video going without seeing video). Apple's "Limited" multitasking is on APPLE, who chooses which programs they'll allow to multitask (primarily the music app for the most part) and that's it.

That's a large difference.

I can have tweet's coming in while streaming pandora music while typing up a quick sms on at a long stop light while the gps is still plugging along in its current state, all without constant "home screen app home screen app home screen app home screen app" launching and without any need for giant obstrusive notifications popping up in the middle of my screen taking the phone over.

If you were talking from a stance of Windows Mobile you'd have a case. While Windows Mobile doesn't have anything close to as elegant of multitasking as the Pre has, I'd dare say Windows Mobile is a bit closer to "true" multitasking than the Pre is. But no, the multitasking on the Pre is a good deal more than the standard allowable upon the iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    First...what's this about you being able to load web pages on the iPhone, leave the web app, switch to another app, work on it a bit, go back to the web app and have that page fully loaded already? To my knowledge you can't do that.
    Yes, you can do that. Pages load in the background. I used to do it all the time. Many application "quits" on the iPhone are "soft quits" if that makes any sense. You re-open the app and you are right where you left off (except for games and things like that -- those close completely).

Second...there is a very distinct difference between the two. Even if you want to buy that the Pre is "limited" multitasking because videos tend not to play, this still presents a difference. The Pre's "Limited" multitasking is on the Developers themselves, choosing if they want their programs to be fully live or in a save state when you switch (for example, youtube's development chose to make it go in a sort of saved state as the resource drain from it was likely deemed to heavy for the limited amount of people that would actually want to have video going without seeing video). Apple's "Limited" multitasking is on APPLE, who chooses which programs they'll allow to multitask (primarily the music app for the most part) and that's it.

I can have tweet's coming in while streaming pandora music while typing up a quick sms on at a long stop light while the gps is still plugging along in its current state, all without constant "home screen app home screen app home screen app home screen app" launching and without any need for giant obstrusive notifications popping up in the middle of my screen taking the phone over.

If you were talking from a stance of Windows Mobile you'd have a case. While Windows Mobile doesn't have anything close to as elegant of multitasking as the Pre has, I'd dare say Windows Mobile is a bit closer to "true" multitasking than the Pre is. But no, the multitasking on the Pre is a good deal more than the standard allowable upon the iPhone.
    Really the only difference I see now between my Pre and my friend's 3GS (he has 3.0 and Push notifications) is that my Pre takes up more battery life to accomplish the same type of live notifications, but I do have the advantage of being able to quickly swipe between open apps. I'm not sure how i feel about this tradeoff now with the 3GS out. It is very fast, and has much better battery life than my Pre.
    Yes, you can. New feature for iPhone 3GS and software 3.0. I'm doing it right now on my iPhone that is sitting in front of me.

Apple's "Limited" multitasking is on APPLE, who chooses which programs they'll allow to multitask (primarily the music app for the most part) and that's it.
    Yup. And I guess Safari since it loads stuff in the background. And email. But you're right, that's it.

Definitely, and hardly anyone (even iPhone owners) will disagree with you here.
    You had me until this part. I agree that WinMo multitasks, I disagree that it does so better or more completely than the Pre. At least, not in terms of the OS itself. I suffered through a Mogul and then a Touch Pro for the last few years, and although apps did kind of continue running in the background, device performance was VERY affected by it, memory management was MUCH worse with constant out-of-memory errors, and switching from one app to another was painful.

Sorry to throw that in there, but I'm still scarred from my time with WinMo. Biggest gadget mistake I ever made was switching from my Treo...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Since i got an iphone 3gs, i can give an example from just now:

Was browsing this forum. Started to reply here but got a text. In responding to text, it closed safari and started messaging app in about a second. Quickly did the response. Pressed home button and calendar which launched instantly to enter a new event. Pressed home button and safari which opened instantly. Was returned back at text box in this thread with my almost finished response still in the reply box.
    The reality is that the way the Pre handles multiple applications is just waaaay better. Same with notifications. Why can't anyone accept that? The iPhone has it's advantages, but the way it handles working in multiple applications isn't one of them. I'm sure the boys in Cupertino are working on something to mitigate it, but for now they're in second place in this area so just deal with it.

BTW, now that I've enabled advanced gestures to switch applications, as suggested by another member, all I do is swipe my finger to go from one open application to the next. No button pushing, no multiple swipes. It just doesn't get any easier than that.
    When did I ever say otherwise? Of course the way it handles multiple apps and notifications is better. It's far better. And outside of the random fanboys on mac forums, you'll find that most iPhone owners admit the same thing. There are threads in every iPhone forum on how much notifications suck on the iPhone and ideas to fix it. You're the one generalizing.
    I know what you can do. But switching between them isn't an advantage anymore (if you're talking about speed/usability and not how cool it looks). I've used the Pre extensively (for hours) and I have the 3GS. The 3GS is so much faster than the previous iPhone's it's ridiculous. Opening apps are near instantaneous. The Pre has many advantages over the iPhone (wynnand32 or whatever mentioned some good ones in his last post), but speed of app switching is not one of them. He mentioned having the app updating in the background so it doesn't have to update when you switch to it. That's a great feature. But just loading normal applications isn't that different in speed. The advantages now are having apps open simulatenously for their usability, not for the quickness of loading/switching. Have YOU used a 3GS?

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

Was browsing this forum. Started to reply here but got a text. In responding to text, it closed safari and started messaging app in about a second. Quickly did the response. Pressed home button and calendar which launched instantly to enter a new event. Pressed home button and safari which opened instantly. Was returned back at text box in this thread with my almost finished response still in the reply box.
    Yeah it's the same way with Mail.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts

You're wrong about Windows multitasking vs. WebOS multitasking. WebOS multitasking is every bit as "true" multitasking as WinMobile is. Perhaps even more so.

All 3 OSes (WinMo, WebOS, OSX) are capable of it, it's just how well they handle it and what limitations have been placed on them on behalf of the systems integrator (chiefly Apple).

The annoying thing about OSX on the iPhone is that it's perfectly capable of multitasking from a technical standpoint. Apple, however, has made a conscious decision to not allow it. Yet another case of "our way or the highway" from them.

The biggest difference between WebOS and OS-X mobile - and my biggest draw towards WebOS - is the philosophy of the integrators/platform maintainers. Palm has a fairly long history of letting 3rd party people do mostly whatever they want. Apple has a VERY long history of not letting 3rd party people do much of anything.

And then there's Android.

Given that the hardware has most of the same features between the iPhone and Pre, and the APIs will offer mostly the same features (with a couple of obvious differences) when both are mature, I'm excited to see what this difference in philosophy will create on WebOS.

Great example. That's how the 3GS works.
    I do more multitasking on my pre than my desktop. When Cut&Paste become more robust that will only grow. Right now I'm taking data from the web, putting it in Excel and then emailing the file with added graphics from My Photos. On the Pre, I checked Facebook to get a phone number while listening to Pandora and getting driving directions. Made the phone call and then went back to Pandora and Nav. So seamless, so necessary, So Pre.
    Hey can I copyright that line.
    If i'd been on the Pre..same scenario..assume that calendar and messaging is already open.

browsing this site, text notification comes in. I wish to act on it, so i tap it. Messaging app pops up quickly because its open. Respond.

Now at this point to get to calendar, i have to press center button or gesture up. Swipe cards to find calendar or use U-search. I'm in calendar, enter event..then gesture up again to swipe cards til i get to the webcard i was in.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    First, thanks to all for the updates about how the 3.0 software works. I was not aware that they now allow web pages to load in the background. I seem to remember every time I loaded up Safari on my iPod Touch previously, went to something else, and came back it had to reload that webpage or wouldn't continue to load it if I had loaded it previously.

And while I understand Push communication allows some of that to happen now, again, I will say I despise the iPhone's pop up notifications.

Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    You had me until this part. I agree that WinMo multitasks, I disagree that it does so better or more completely than the Pre. At least, not in terms of the OS itself. I suffered through a Mogul and then a Touch Pro for the last few years, and although apps did kind of continue running in the background, device performance was VERY affected by it, memory management was MUCH worse with constant out-of-memory errors, and switching from one app to another was painful.

Sorry to throw that in there, but I'm still scarred from my time with WinMo. Biggest gadget mistake I ever made was switching from my Treo...
    First, I never said it did it BETTER...I actually stated I like the way the Pre handles app switching FAR more than any PPC I've used.

That said...

Everything and anything pretty much multitasks in WinMo. I've had games open while having a video playing in the background still while web pages are loading. Is it a memory hog? Yes. Does it suck up battery? Yes. Does it have a good default task switcher or even most OEM switches? GOD NO. But pretty much every app I've used that I can think of has pretty much been real, true, multitasking and not "possibly live, possibly not". That said, I'd take the Pre's cards over WinMo's method of multitasking in its current incarnation every time.
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    It's simple really. Stuff like running Pandora and Sprint Nav while driving my car, getting interactive notifications while in other apps, bouncing back and forth between multiple web pages as they load, checking email at the same time. And most importantly, GTalk is always on, I correspond with people around the world at any time anywhere. They send me a message, I reply and go on my way. That's how I work on my computer, I'm used to it and expect it on my phone too. Just because Apple decided against it doesn't mean it's no longer important.

What's so hard to understand?

Unlike music there is little reason to play video in the background. If you can't look at it, what's the point? I think it's convenient that it pauses automatically.
    Guess what. I can do all that on an iphone. Bouncing back between webpages as they load is no problem. Gtalk is always on, no problem. Listening to music as I surf the web or answer email is no problem.

The whole multitasking thing is so overrated on the Pre. There are a few things that the Pre can multitask that the iphone cant but who cares, when 99% of the public don't care about running 10 apps at once. I will take the option of 50k Apps and recording video any day over multitasking and as of now the general public agrees with it.

Pre owners need to stop the comparisons because as of right now the iphone kicks the Pres arse in every way.

Great example. That's how the 3GS works.
    I decided to give that a try on my 1st generation iPod touch and guess what, IT WORKS TOO!!! I went entered engadget.com, clicked go, went back to my home screen, opened calendar, browsed around some dates, click the home button, then back to Safari and to my surprise the whole page was loaded an ready!

Looks like the iPhone 3.0 software opened up background Safari loading for iPod touches and previous iPhone and not just the 3GS.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    If i'd been on the Pre..same scenario..assume that calendar and messaging is already open.

browsing this site, text notification comes in. I wish to act on it, so i tap it. Messaging app pops up quickly because its open. Respond.

Now at this point to get to calendar, i have to press center button or gesture up. Swipe cards to find calendar or use U-search. I'm in calendar, enter event..then gesture up again to swipe cards til i get to the webcard i was in.
    It's nice how you Fanboys always put things into context of how you use your iPhone. What if you didn't want to respond to that text and just get back to it later?

And if you leave cards open and turn on the advanced gestures, once again you just swipe left or right to get to the next app. No pressing the home button, no going to that app launcher to find it.

On top of all of that, if the iPhone does everything you need, why are you here??
    I don't see your point. The Pre handles multiple programs and notifications far better. The actual act of switching between programs is not as big of an issue as it used to be because of the speed of the 3GS. The other advantages remain.

Quote Originally Posted by Gmoney
    It's nice how you Fanboys always put things into context of how you use your iPhone.
    What is your problem? Heaven forbid we talk about the actual act of using our phones when people misrepresent what they can do.

What if you didn't want to respond to that text and just get back to it later?
    You tap "close" instead of "reply". It's intrusive though, I've already mentioned that.

And if you leave cards open and turn on the advanced gestures, once again you just swipe left or right to get to the next app. No pressing the home button, no going to that app launcher to find it.
    Yup. We know.

On top of all of that, if the iPhone does everything you need, why are you here??
    I can only speak for myself but it's because I'm a fan of consumer electronics and a fan of the Pre. The only thing I'm not a fan of is misrepresentations and the spreading of falsehoods. Here's the problem: You have a bunch of Pre owners telling everyone false information about the iPhone because they've never used a 3GS for an extended period of time. It's ignorant. I belong to MacRumors and when someone bashes the Pre without good reason, I call them on it.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast