Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Last night I was at happy hour with some friends from my car club (MINIs). During the conversation, something came up that I could check out online so I whipped out the Pre & started hunting down the info. The two guys next to me said something like 'Dude! is that the new Palm?'. So the conversation turned into a Pre demo.

First comment was about size and the two of them whipped out iPhones to compare. When I opened the slider, "Ooohh Coool... A real keyboard!". Switching apps brought another Wow moment out, 'it swaps so fast.' Then one asked, "You can search with that thing, can't you?" So I said, "Oh YEAH, watch this. If you want to find a # on your iPhone you have to scroll through the list, don't you?" He said, "This is a 3Gs. It has sort of a search, but it doesn't.... Well I don't like it." Meanwhile I'm thinking fast - what would be a pain on an iPhone? "If I want to find my friend Dave Zap's #, I just start typing, with nothing open," z....a....p.... "and here we have it.". Then on to a demo of looking for a website (MiniUSA) and how the Pre automatically uses google & others to search the world. The demo's just kept on killing them....

I finally left the table with a couple of iPhone owners drooling in their warm beers....
    Woot Woot! PRE FTW!!!!!
    Global Posts
    355 Global Posts
    Nice. I've had the exact same thing happen. I've gotten no fewer than three iPhone users to switch (and I've only demoed it to said three iPhone users) to the Pre. They were all amazed by the size, ease of use, cards, multi-tasking, and yes, the physical keyboard. Most of all, they were impressed with the ease-of-use.

This phone really is amazing.
    Now if only our Pre would search calendar and email. Had a music player that had some more options like the iphones and our OS wasn't laggy. Also throw in stuttering in the browser while scrolling and the checker board effect that is annoying and the general lack of options.

One palm fixes all that this phone will be better than the iphone GS. Until then we get multi tasking and the iphone does a saved state return which is fairly similar since the only card that avtually updates on the Pre in the backround is Pandora. Everything else seems like a similar saved state return even on the Pre.

Play with gps on google maps and you will clearly swe it isn't updaring in the backround on the Pre.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I had something like that happen, but the other poor sap had some att slider keyboard contraption. Someone wanted to know the score for the sox game, I had the info before the other guy could "connect" to the internet on his "browser". He then proceded to say "Damn, I brought a spork to a gun fight..."
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Now if only our Pre would search calendar and email. Had a music player that had some more options like the iphones and our OS wasn't laggy. Also throw in stuttering in the browser while scrolling and the checker board effect that is annoying and the general lack of options.

One palm fixes all that this phone will be better than the iphone GS. Until then we get multi tasking and the iphone does a saved state return which is fairly similar since the only card that avtually updates on the Pre in the backround is Pandora. Everything else seems like a similar saved state return even on the Pre.

Play with gps on google maps and you will clearly swe it isn't updaring in the backround on the Pre.
    I'll agree with you, the Pre isn't quite up to par with the 3GS YET. There are a lot of missing features on the Pre and it needs to optimized still. But I think the potential for the WebOS platform exceeds the iPhone's OSx. Palm needs some time to develop a more mature product and to get the 3rd party apps out, although the clock is ticking. The physical keyboard and Sprint are the main reasons I don't have an iPhone.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts

The fact that a Gen 1 OS can raise peoples eyes and out do a rather mature 3 year OS on its third iteration isn't anything to sniff about.

Does the Pre have some areas where the iPhone trounces it? Sure does. That doesn't make the things that it does better any less exciting or enticing.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Good kill! But I'm sure this positive will turn into people *****ing like every other thread on here lol

Did you agree to take over defecating on the Pre while Mobileman is on vacation or something?

I mean, the incessant negativity is just beyond tiresome. You keep repeating the same flaws over and over and over. What's the point?

Return it already. I would if I felt like you did. The Pre is not a perfect experience....not even close to it yet. But it has plenty of functional advantages over iPhone and other devices beyond running Pandora in the background as you do other things. I browse several sites on a daily basis, and I keep them all open in individual cards in the background. I also stay connected in Gtalk and AIM without having the Messaging app open in a card. And while all of this is going on, I can update my Facebook, check movie times, or make calls quickly from my speed dial buttons.

That means a lot to me. The various bugs, flaws, and context-free and barebones menus mean something too....just less so. Nobody is saying they shouldn't be pointed out. But if something is such a problem for you, neither the Pre nor any version one device/OS - including the version one iPhone - is for you.

You're kidding right. I've seen email updating in the background while I was switching apps. Several emails came in. More to the point, while both phones are good, there is just no question that the pre does some important things better than iPhone. iPhone clearly does more things. Consumers will have to decide which they prefer.

If I had to make a two year commitment, I'd clearly go with Palm. Why?

• Multi-tasking and synergy will be copied, but they are giant leap ahead of the pack.
    • Form factor is MUCH better than iPhone and many others out there.
    • Palm will get ENOUGH good developers. The Pre nor the iPhone needs 50,000 "apps." I won't need more than 20-30 that actually DO SOMETHING.
    • I'm not a video editor, music aficionado or gamer. I don't need a MAC for a phone. I guess, I'm a PC.
    • Looking at the iPhone, it has great ease of use and many apps, but I can expect Palm (as usual) to come with a thoughtful, powerful device that gets things done without getting in the way. That's what I want.
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    You're kidding right. I've seen email updating in the background while I was switching apps. Several emails came in. More to the point, while both phones are good, there is just no question that the pre does some important things better than iPhone. iPhone clearly does more things. Consumers will have to decide which they prefer.

If I had to make a two year commitment, I'd clearly go with Palm. Why?

• Multi-tasking and synergy will be copied, but they are giant leap ahead of the pack.
    • Form factor is MUCH better than iPhone and many others out there.
    • Palm will get ENOUGH good developers. The Pre nor the iPhone needs 50,000 "apps." I won't need more than 20-30 that actually DO SOMETHING.
    • I'm not a video editor, music aficionado or gamer. I don't need a MAC for a phone. I guess, I'm a PC.
    • Looking at the iPhone, it has great ease of use and many apps, but I can expect Palm (as usual) to come with a thoughtful, powerful device that gets things done without getting in the way. That's what I want.
    I actually agree with most of what you wrote. My point on Pre multi tasking is that the card view isn't much different to the iphone's saved stste because the Pre does essentially the same thing. The iphone's email app, like the Pre's is also always open so it to updates. Our multi tasking advantage lies with pandora and possibly sprint nav, that is it. The rest of the pre's cards are inactive and not updating. Just like the iphone's saved state. I agree the interface is prettier on the Pre but I dislike the fact that people make a huge deal about multi tasking when we, aside from two apps, really don't have it. Better interface? Without a doubg although the lag gets pretty bad.

Mikah I'm sorry if you epeen shrinks if I say something negative but it shouldn't. I gladly heap praise on the Pre and defend it when necessary and I can also dish out what I dislike about the device. Sorry but I will continue to do it until palm fixes things. Anyone that stuck around through garnet will know that most of the OS issues linger on even today and that Palm was very slow to address anything feature oriented so I'm not holding my breath here.

I fully expect palm to take the lazy river approach and let third parties fix the feature requests which isn't exactly a good policy. We will see if the leopard changes his spots.
    Interesting. So you won a contest against a guy who didn't realize that the new iPhone OS 3.0 update enables one to use Spotlight to search the entire phone for anything including contacts. Hit the home button once, hit it again to take you to spotlight which automatically pulls up the on-screen keyboard and them begin typing what you're searching for. Entering the letters "Mic" immediately brings up everyone in my contacts list named "Michael".

But you can run Pandora in the background so I'll give you that and the better notifications. ;-)
    I actually agree with most of what you wrote. My point on Pre multi tasking is that the card view isn't much different to the iphone's saved stste because the Pre does essentially the same thing. The iphone's email app, like the Pre's is also always open so it to updates. Our multi tasking advantage lies with pandora and possibly sprint nav, that is it. The rest of the pre's cards are inactive and not updating. Just like the iphone's saved state. I agree the interface is prettier on the Pre but I dislike the fact that people make a huge deal about multi tasking when we, aside from two apps, really don't have it.
    Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

Just because the Pre isn't currently endowed with a lot of apps streaming data in the background doesn't mean it is not multitasking. On an iPhone, if I want to browse a web page, write an email, look up something on Google Maps, then go back to the web page, and then the email....I am loading those apps each and every time, one at a time.

On the Pre, they're already there. After the initial load, there's no load. There's no re-entering web page URLs or re-tapping on bookmarks. It's still at the exact same SPOT on the page I left it at. There is zero interruption of work flow.

Mikah I'm sorry if you epeen shrinks if I say something negative but it shouldn't.
    ?

I gladly heap praise on the Pre and defend it when necessary and I can also dish out what I dislike about the device. Sorry but I will continue to do it until palm fixes things. Anyone that stuck around through garnet will know that most of the OS issues linger on even today and that Palm was very slow to address anything feature oriented so I'm not holding my breath here.

I fully expect palm to take the lazy river approach and let third parties fix the feature requests which isn't exactly a good policy. We will see if the leopard changes his spots.
    You don't expect Palm to fix these issues, yet you will complain incessantly until they do? Sounds like a great usage of one's time.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by NDPTAL85 View Post
    Interesting. So you won a contest against a guy who didn't realize that the new iPhone OS 3.0 update enables one to use Spotlight to search the entire phone for anything including contacts. Hit the home button once, hit it again to take you to spotlight which automatically pulls up the on-screen keyboard and them begin typing what you're searching for. Entering the letters "Mic" immediately brings up everyone in my contacts list named "Michael".

But you can run Pandora in the background so I'll give you that and the better notifications. ;-)
    Actually he did realize that. His perspective on Spotlight was that it had problems and didn't really work as well as he thought it should. I didn't get into the details of why he didn't like it. I just showed him how Universal Search works and it obviously impacted him as being a better way.

(but I should probably add the disclaimer that the searches and such were 'well selected instances'. Which I hinted at by stating 'thinking fast')
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    I actually agree with most of what you wrote. My point on Pre multi tasking is that the card view isn't much different to the iphone's saved stste because the Pre does essentially the same thing. The iphone's email app, like the Pre's is also always open so it to updates. Our multi tasking advantage lies with pandora and possibly sprint nav, that is it. The rest of the pre's cards are inactive and not updating. Just like the iphone's saved state. I agree the interface is prettier on the Pre but I dislike the fact that people make a huge deal about multi tasking when we, aside from two apps, really don't have it. Better interface? Without a doubg although the lag gets pretty bad.

Mikah I'm sorry if you epeen shrinks if I say something negative but it shouldn't. I gladly heap praise on the Pre and defend it when necessary and I can also dish out what I dislike about the device. Sorry but I will continue to do it until palm fixes things. Anyone that stuck around through garnet will know that most of the OS issues linger on even today and that Palm was very slow to address anything feature oriented so I'm not holding my breath here.

Just because SOME cards don't "update" in the background currently, doesn't mean the capability doesn't exist. Tweed, for instance, if you have notifications set, keeps running as a "stub" when you close it, to provide notifications for what's going on in your twitter feed.

Open up two or three browser windows to complicated pages, and then "minimize them" and switch to another browser window. When you come back, you'll find the page fully loaded.

The capability exists for every app to do this. For some apps (i.e. Pandora, Sprint Nav, Tweed, Google Latitude etc.) it's of benefit. For others (i.e. Google Maps in it's current state) it's really not that useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken M View Post
    First comment was about size and the two of them whipped out iPhones to compare.
    Personally, I'd rather have a bigger screen. The iPhone is still thin. Personal preferene though.

SwThen one asked, "You can search with that thing, can't you?" So I said, "Oh YEAH, watch this. If you want to find a # on your iPhone you have to scroll through the list, don't you?"
    No, you don't. Stop spreading false information. iPhone 3.0 is available free for all iPhone models that adds true search from the main page. You know, calendars, emails, contacts, music, videos...

He said, "This is a 3Gs. It has sort of a search, but it doesn't.... Well I don't like it."
    Sort of? Your friend isn't working with a lot of mental faculties I'm guessing.

I'd much rather have the opportunity to search all my built-in PIM apps and just tap web browser to search websites (takes 1 second, literally) than having extremely limiting search but built-in access to 4 web portals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newberry View Post
    Good kill! But I'm sure this positive will turn into people *****ing like every other thread on here lol
    Too late, already has.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Okay. This isn't relevant to the negativity on the post, but here goes. I love my Pre and I'm blown away with Pandora, but what really kicks is the Pre's alerts. I was able to get all these things on my Treo, but to know I have mail, messages, and who sent them w/o opening up the app is awesome. The fact that I can see that I have 7 e-mails in yahoo is great. I can tap on the alert, it takes me straight to the message and then if I do a backwards swipe, I'm still in my yahoo e-mail.

Right now I have an icons that tell me I have email and messages waiting. When I tap on the icon area, I can see two messages and 4 e-mails are waiting for my attention. I can see who they are from and ignore them or look at them. I can also delete said e-mails by swiping left or right w/o opening up the e-mail app. This is cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Just because the Pre isn't currently endowed with a lot of apps streaming data in the background doesn't mean it is not multitasking. On an iPhone, if I want to browse a web page, write an email, look up something on Google Maps, then go back to the web page, and then the email....I am loading those apps each and every time, one at a time.
    Exactly, and that's the beauty of it. Folks talk about how the 3GS is faster then the Pre, for example opens the Calendar in 2 seconds vs 4 on the Pre. However, if I access my Calendar 10 times during the day (which I do, at various odd times), then on the iPhone that takes 20 seconds of loading time whereas on the Pre it's 4 seconds (plus the barest fractions of a second to switch to the right card). Given that this is true for pretty much every application, and the Pre shows itself to be much, much faster in actual use.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Too late, already has.
    He spread false information, I had to correct it. People here are misrepresenting the features of the iPhone and completely lying about what it can and can't do. That's not my problem and you'll never find me on another forum blatantly lying about the Pre's features.

Exactly, and that's the beauty of it. Folks talk about how the 3GS is faster then the Pre, for example opens the Calendar in 2 seconds vs 4 on the Pre.
    It opens instantly.

However, if I access my Calendar 10 times during the day (which I do, at various odd times), then on the iPhone that takes 20 seconds of loading time whereas on the Pre it's 4 seconds (plus the barest fractions of a second to switch to the right card). Given that this is true for pretty much every application, and the Pre shows itself to be much faster in actual use.
    I've used both extensively and switching to the right card is about equal to opening the calendar on the iPhone everytime. It's nice that the state is saved to where you last were, but the time difference is negligible.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast