Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Wait...you're saying that if you have multiple Safari cards open on iPhone3GS 3.0 and Safari dumps you to the desktop, that the other cards besides the active one that crashed will still be there?

And what would increased RAM have to do with random reloading?
    I'm saying that I have not yet had Safari crash on the 3GS at all... And I do heavy browsing. The reason the pages would go blank after opening a few and going back into Safari has everything to do with RAM. You could not open more than 3 pages before the others would go blank. That is not the case anymore. I've had 10 open and went back to each and every one of them a while later and they all were still there. No blank pages. Unless of course you are referring to sites that constantly update, that may cause Safari to reload the page.
    Last edited by Bad Ash; 07/01/2009 at 11:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ash View Post
    I'm saying that I have not yet had Safari crash on the 3GS at all... And I do heavy browsing. The reason the pages would go blank after opening a few and going back into Safari has everything to do with RAM. You could not open more than 3 pages before the others would go blank. That is not the case anymore. I've had 10 open and went back to each and every one of them a while later and they all were still there. No blank pages. Unless of course you are referring to sites that constantly update, that may cause Safari to reload the page.
    That wasn't what I was saying at all. I said that Safari would start loading a site, and if I went to Safari card view in the midst of that and hit another page and came back...then it would start reloading the original page from scratch. (Gizmodo isn't an auto-reloading site, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK)

And you didn't answer the original question because you can't...having never experienced a crash in Safari on the 3GS. We actually paid for the 3.0 update, but had some problems running it on the iPod Touch 2nd Gen, and had to revert back to one of the 2.x builds.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    That wasn't what I was saying at all. I said that Safari would start loading a site, and if I went to Safari card view in the midst of that and hit another page and came back...then it would start reloading the original page from scratch. (Gizmodo isn't an auto-reloading site, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK)

And you didn't answer the original question because you can't...having never experienced a crash in Safari on the 3GS. We actually paid for the 3.0 update, but had some problems running it on the iPod Touch 2nd Gen, and had to revert back to one of the 2.x builds.
    Sorry to disappoint, to answer what you were saying... yes, on the 3GS you can open a page and then start a new page while the first one is loading. Just tested it for you. Worked fine. I can't vouch for older devices.

Sorry for your issues with 3.0 on older devices. Hopefully they fix them. If I had my 3G with me now I'd test 3.1 out for you to see if I could crash Safari. I know 3.1 has some bug fixes in it. Apple just keeps quiet on what exactly was fixed. Especially so early in the beta.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ash View Post
    Sorry to disappoint, to answer what you were saying... yes, on the 3GS you can open a page and then start a new page while the first one is loading. Just tested it for you. Worked fine. I can't vouch for older devices.

Sorry for your issues with 3.0 on older devices. Hopefully they fix them. If I had my 3G with me now I'd test 3.1 out for you to see if I could crash Safari. I know 3.1 has some bug fixes in it. Apple just keeps quiet on what exactly was fixed. Especially so early in the beta.
    Wow! You're right. I just tried it myself with Engadget.com and it worked. Opened up engadget (on edge) went back to my precentral tab, and went back a couple seconds later to a fully loaded engadget.com. Cool!

BTW I am in the developer program and using 3.1. There are no major changes to the OS other than reallowing the MMS option in the messages app.
    SCH-A890 --> VX 9800 "V" --> VX 9900 "enV" --> Blackberry 8330 --> iPhone 3G --> Palm Pre --> iPhone 3GS
    I have a 2nd gen iPod Touch and an iPhone 3GS. I haven't upgraded the Touch to 3.0 (honestly, I'm not seeing a lot of Touch-capable features that are new to 3.0 that make me rush to upgrade, plus I'm using the iPhone now with my daughter using the Touch, but I'll probably upgrade it anyway just to make sure all new apps work OK on it). Anyways, I'll try to test out the iPod Touch w/3.0 later on and comment here again, but with my 3GS I'm very pleased with the way that multitasking/caching is working.

As others have said, I can start to download a web page, jump back to the home screen, launch a different app, do something, then return to Safari and find that the page download has completed, and it doesn't force a refresh. I have seen situations where I launch Safari and pull up a page I had loaded the previous day and it refreshes it. I'm thinking that perhaps it does this if the page is a dynamic page (e.g., .php extension) and the last time it downloaded it was more than 24 hours. I'm just making wild guesses here. But if that's the case, that's not a problem, since I'd probably want to manually refresh it anyway.

On my Treo 755p, if I left Blazer, did something, went back to Blazer, it would redraw the page (from cache). Also, if I accessed my work email via the Outlook web-based interface, Blazer would force me to re-enter my username/password every time, which really sucked. With the iPhone/Safari, I never have to do that so long as I keep that page open.

Another nice bit of multitasking that the iPhone offers compared to my old Treo is that it fetches email in the background. I used Snappermail on my Treo which I really liked, but it would take over when it needed to fetch emails. So, again, if I was using Blazer, this meant that when it returned control back to Blazer, it had to redraw the page and if I was using my work email website, I had to re-enter my username/password.

There's a common misconception that the iPhone can't multitask at all, but it can multitask the same things that my Treo could (i.e., playing MP3s in the background and talking on the phone while doing something else), but it can also do some true background multitasking that the Treo couldn't do (email fetch, web page downloading), and returning to Safari allows me to immediately view my last/cached web pages without waiting for it to redraw them like Blazer on the Treo required.

Is this *as good* as the full-blown multitasking that the Palm pre offers? No, but as a former Treo user, it's a huge upgrade for me which, when combined with some of the other advantages that the iPhone offers over the Palm pre (e.g., large 3rd party app library, larger screen), makes for a better device for my wants/needs.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123