Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45
  1. TheCIArr's Avatar
    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    #21  
    I have gotten similar comments for almost every iphone user I cross. Things iphone users usually comment on are:

    - form factor (sleek and sexy - hidden QWERTY)
    - display (bright and crisp)
    - UI (similar)

    Truthfully, I think a lot of people with iphones just like to have the latest, greatest, most hyped device available if only to make a fashion statement. Seems like people with a Pre are more likely to use their phone as a tool and accessory rather than just an accessory.
  2. ION-q's Avatar
    Posts
    114 Posts
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken M View Post
    Last night I was at happy hour with some friends from my car club (MINIs). During the conversation, something came up that I could check out online so I whipped out the Pre & started hunting down the info. The two guys next to me said something like 'Dude! is that the new Palm?'. So the conversation turned into a Pre demo.

    First comment was about size and the two of them whipped out iPhones to compare. When I opened the slider, "Ooohh Coool... A real keyboard!". Switching apps brought another Wow moment out, 'it swaps so fast.' Then one asked, "You can search with that thing, can't you?" So I said, "Oh YEAH, watch this. If you want to find a # on your iPhone you have to scroll through the list, don't you?" He said, "This is a 3Gs. It has sort of a search, but it doesn't.... Well I don't like it." Meanwhile I'm thinking fast - what would be a pain on an iPhone? "If I want to find my friend Dave Zap's #, I just start typing, with nothing open," z....a....p.... "and here we have it.". Then on to a demo of looking for a website (MiniUSA) and how the Pre automatically uses google & others to search the world. The demo's just kept on killing them....

    I finally left the table with a couple of iPhone owners drooling in their warm beers....
    Bottom line: did the Pre get you any hotties at the club/bar? Post pix if so.
  3. ssrjazz's Avatar
    Posts
    786 Posts
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    The rest of the pre's cards are inactive and not updating. Just like the iphone's saved state.
    This is completely inaccurate.

    What may not update is the PICTURE of the card in card view. I assure you, that the program that card represents IS running and updating itself in the background.

    Give you an example: Before weather.com banished Pre users, if you brought up The Weather Channel in a web browser window, left it running in the card stack, went on to other apps, etc. Let's say an hour later the temp outside has gone down, in card view - it still says it's the same temp it was an hour ago. But, if you bring that web page back up off the card stack you immediately (no reloading of data) see the current state of that page.

    Same thing with Spaz. You have it running in the background and bring it back to the foreground, the new data is already there, there is no "oh..wait, I have to go load the data from twitter"

    Anyone who thinks that the programs on the pre do not truly run in the background in card view have a fundamental misunderstanding of WebOS and it's Linux underpinnings.
  4. #24  


    I thought this iPhone parody was pretty funny. If you are at work, you may want to turn down the volume as the F word is used once, but it really says it all-
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by poopsie View Post


    I thought this iPhone parody was pretty funny. If you are at work, you may want to turn down the volume as the F word is used once, but it really says it all-
    No need to turn down the volume, because I'm playing it on my Pre with headphones.
  6. #26  
    My god I didn't even think of doing that! I keep forgetting some of the other features outside email on this phone!
  7. notabun's Avatar
    Posts
    225 Posts
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

    Just because the Pre isn't currently endowed with a lot of apps streaming data in the background doesn't mean it is not multitasking. On an iPhone, if I want to browse a web page, write an email, look up something on Google Maps, then go back to the web page, and then the email....I am loading those apps each and every time, one at a time.

    On the Pre, they're already there. After the initial load, there's no load. There's no re-entering web page URLs or re-tapping on bookmarks. It's still at the exact same SPOT on the page I left it at. There is zero interruption of work flow


    You don't expect Palm to fix these issues, yet you will complain incessantly until they do? Sounds like a great usage of one's time.
    I'm sorry but I disagree here. I'm currently trialing a 3gs and a pre. The iPhone 3.0 os apps do exactly as the other poster stated. Safari stays exactly how you leave it. I'm very new to this phone but I think all the core apps perform this way. The thing that stinks are apps that stream audio. Apple should allow pandora, slacker and the like to stream in the background. That would be huge because the core apps an their saved state work really well.
  8. #28  
    they're both awesome devices, I've yet to encounter a Palm Pre in the wild yet, I'd be excited too, and I own an iPhone 3GS.
    ( pre-wallpapers.com ) - Over 7000+ Wallpapers for your Palm Pre... Enjoy!
  9. #29  
    I've owned both a Pre and a 3GS. Both OSs have their strong suits. Card view is indeed amazing but I believe the boost in speed to the iPhone has nullified some of the thunder Palm had with this, as apps on the iPhone 3GS really do open instantly thanks to the added horsepower. But the iPhone will never be able to touch WebOS when it comes to things like streaming audio on the Pre, this is where cards shine (rightly so.) However, a lot of the things mentioned here like a physical keyboard are based on personal preference and really hard to distinguish which is truly better. For me, I can type faster on the 3GS than I could my Pre. Form factor is another thing, I prefer a slate style to a slider, and don't tell me Pre users don't want a virtual keyboard app for entering a tad bit of information on a website without sliding the keyboard down. I've done it myself. However it's awesome that the keyboard on the Pre frees up the whole screen for use while typing. Pros and cons of each.

    The point I'm trying to make is do we have to argue about which phone is better or more innovative. The answer is going to be different for everyone. I loved my Pre's card view but I ultimately went with the iPhone because of the more consumer centric approach Apple has taken. Had I been a business user it's likely I would have chosen the Pre.

    Both phones are great and you can argue that without each other, neither phone would be half as amazing as they truly are. Had the Pre not come about, Apple may have not developed Spotlight. Had the iPhone never been created, Rubinstein may have went with a resistive screen as originally planned.

    Why can't both devices coexist without people on either side flaming each other, what is the point? If one camp wins, there is no reason for the other camp to innovate and push the envelope. So as a Pre owner I want Apple to continue to do well and push Palm to go above and beyond. As a 3GS owner I want Palm to do well to keep Apple on their toes. It did take this comapny 3 years to get copy and paste, after all.

    Cheers,
    An iPhone and Pre owner.
  10. #30  
    The Apple Crusaders have given my old Treo 650 a new lease on life. It's been saving program states when swapping programs for years. Maybe I don't need to get a Pre when it comes out over here after all. Apparently, I already have the latest and greatest in phone OS's. NOT!!
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCIArr View Post
    Truthfully, I think a lot of people with iphones just like to have the latest, greatest, most hyped device available if only to make a fashion statement. Seems like people with a Pre are more likely to use their phone as a tool and accessory rather than just an accessory.
    You could swap the positions of "iPnone" and "Pre" in that quote and not be just as on-target with your statement. In fact, the latest Palm Pre ad I've seen on TV makes me think the Pre is going after image while iPhone ads focus on how it gets things done.

    Quote Originally Posted by poopsie
    I thought this iPhone parody was pretty funny. If you are at work, you may want to turn down the volume as the F word is used once, but it really says it all-
    That was hilarious! "Many of you asked for a physical keyboard so we gave you a compass just to f*** with you." Pure comic genius!
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by notabun View Post
    I'm sorry but I disagree here. I'm currently trialing a 3gs and a pre. The iPhone 3.0 os apps do exactly as the other poster stated. Safari stays exactly how you leave it. I'm very new to this phone but I think all the core apps perform this way. The thing that stinks are apps that stream audio. Apple should allow pandora, slacker and the like to stream in the background. That would be huge because the core apps an their saved state work really well.
    It's selective, especially if you're using Safari cards (and I never browse just ONE site on the Pre). I have an iPod Touch 2nd gen and the Pre. Engadget, for example, held its place most times as you mentioned above. But sometimes, it reloaded when I switched to it. Gizmodo, on the other hand, reloaded every time I switched to its Safari card, even if it was just seconds earlier. And if I switched from any card in Safari before the page loaded and came back, it started loading again from scratch. Not so on the Pre, which loads them in the background even when you switch away.

    Again, I couldn't COUNT on Safari leaving me off exactly where I left off. And worse yet, it took me awhile to perform this test because I had TWO random Safari crashes that closed ALL of the Web windows. Whatever other bugs the Pre may have displayed thus far, its browser has never crashed and dumped me back out to card view. Even if it did, it would only affect the single browser card, which could be easily swiped away while not affecting the other browser cards.

    I love Safari, aesthetically, but since iPhone 2.0 software, it has never been stable enough for me to be able to rely on it 100 percent. My wife and I took it on vacation last Christmas, and we often used Safari on the resort's WiFi. It crashed at least twice a day. It crashed when we tried to order a book we saw in the Virgin Megastore at Pleasure Island on Borders.com. It crashed randomly when I read Gizmodo individual stories.

    Sorry....but Apple's 3.0 multitasking is nothing compared to even the current polished beta state of the Pre. Sad, but true.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken M View Post
    Last night I was at happy hour with some friends from my car club (MINIs). During the conversation, something came up that I could check out online so I whipped out the Pre & started hunting down the info. The two guys next to me said something like 'Dude! is that the new Palm?'. So the conversation turned into a Pre demo.

    First comment was about size and the two of them whipped out iPhones to compare. When I opened the slider, "Ooohh Coool... A real keyboard!". Switching apps brought another Wow moment out, 'it swaps so fast.' Then one asked, "You can search with that thing, can't you?" So I said, "Oh YEAH, watch this. If you want to find a # on your iPhone you have to scroll through the list, don't you?" He said, "This is a 3Gs. It has sort of a search, but it doesn't.... Well I don't like it." Meanwhile I'm thinking fast - what would be a pain on an iPhone? "If I want to find my friend Dave Zap's #, I just start typing, with nothing open," z....a....p.... "and here we have it.". Then on to a demo of looking for a website (MiniUSA) and how the Pre automatically uses google & others to search the world. The demo's just kept on killing them....

    I finally left the table with a couple of iPhone owners drooling in their warm beers....
    I LOVE IT!!! The Pre rocks, I have had mine since launch day without a complaint yet. Guess I am one of the lucky ones
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynd View Post
    I've owned both a Pre and a 3GS. Both OSs have their strong suits. Card view is indeed amazing but I believe the boost in speed to the iPhone has nullified some of the thunder Palm had with this, as apps on the iPhone 3GS really do open instantly thanks to the added horsepower. But the iPhone will never be able to touch WebOS when it comes to things like streaming audio on the Pre, this is where cards shine (rightly so.) However, a lot of the things mentioned here like a physical keyboard are based on personal preference and really hard to distinguish which is truly better. For me, I can type faster on the 3GS than I could my Pre. Form factor is another thing, I prefer a slate style to a slider, and don't tell me Pre users don't want a virtual keyboard app for entering a tad bit of information on a website without sliding the keyboard down. I've done it myself. However it's awesome that the keyboard on the Pre frees up the whole screen for use while typing. Pros and cons of each.

    The point I'm trying to make is do we have to argue about which phone is better or more innovative. The answer is going to be different for everyone. I loved my Pre's card view but I ultimately went with the iPhone because of the more consumer centric approach Apple has taken. Had I been a business user it's likely I would have chosen the Pre.

    Both phones are great and you can argue that without each other, neither phone would be half as amazing as they truly are. Had the Pre not come about, Apple may have not developed Spotlight. Had the iPhone never been created, Rubinstein may have went with a resistive screen as originally planned.

    Why can't both devices coexist without people on either side flaming each other, what is the point? If one camp wins, there is no reason for the other camp to innovate and push the envelope. So as a Pre owner I want Apple to continue to do well and push Palm to go above and beyond. As a 3GS owner I want Palm to do well to keep Apple on their toes. It did take this comapny 3 years to get copy and paste, after all.

    Cheers,
    An iPhone and Pre owner.
    Both devices can coexist! I also agree with most of what you say about personal preferences. However, it is fun to watch people argue about it, aint it?
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    It's selective, especially if you're using Safari cards (and I never browse just ONE site on the Pre). I have an iPod Touch 2nd gen and the Pre. Engadget, for example, held its place most times as you mentioned above. But sometimes, it reloaded when I switched to it. Gizmodo, on the other hand, reloaded every time I switched to its Safari card, even if it was just seconds earlier. And if I switched from any card in Safari before the page loaded and came back, it started loading again from scratch. Not so on the Pre, which loads them in the background even when you switch away.

    Again, I couldn't COUNT on Safari leaving me off exactly where I left off. And worse yet, it took me awhile to perform this test because I had TWO random Safari crashes that closed ALL of the Web windows. Whatever other bugs the Pre may have displayed thus far, its browser has never crashed and dumped me back out to card view. Even if it did, it would only affect the single browser card, which could be easily swiped away while not affecting the other browser cards.

    I love Safari, aesthetically, but since iPhone 2.0 software, it has never been stable enough for me to be able to rely on it 100 percent. My wife and I took it on vacation last Christmas, and we often used Safari on the resort's WiFi. It crashed at least twice a day. It crashed when we tried to order a book we saw in the Virgin Megastore at Pleasure Island on Borders.com. It crashed randomly when I read Gizmodo individual stories.

    Sorry....but Apple's 3.0 multitasking is nothing compared to even the current polished beta state of the Pre. Sad, but true.
    Actually that problem you speak of has been corrected with the iPhone 3GS and the 3.0 software. The main reason the iPhone 3G had that issue was simply the lack of RAM. With the 3GS having double the RAM of the 3G... problem solved.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Did you agree to take over defecating on the Pre while Mobileman is on vacation or something?
    ...
    OK, that was funny...
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz View Post
    ...
    Anyone who thinks that the programs on the pre do not truly run in the background in card view have a fundamental misunderstanding of WebOS and it's Linux underpinnings.
    That's the killer statement. All one has to do is open several apps, and SSH into the Pre and type "top" to see all the apps running at the same time.

    Unfortunately, because there's no "pretty picture", people that don't understand what's going on will continue to spout blatant inaccuracies like he is doing.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ash View Post
    Actually that problem you speak of has been corrected with the iPhone 3GS and the 3.0 software. The main reason the iPhone 3G had that issue was simply the lack of RAM. With the 3GS having double the RAM of the 3G... problem solved.
    Which problem? I identified at least three (e.g. Safari crashing kills all browser windows, Safari cards reload randomly, Safari crashes randomly).
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Which problem? I identified at least three (e.g. Safari crashing kills all browser windows, Safari cards reload randomly, Safari crashes randomly).
    Sorry, I should have said "problems". All of those have been corrected. And I'm not here to bash the Pre. I actually thought about picking one up but the hardware issues Dieter and many others are having were enough to keep me away. At least until another WebOS device is released.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ash View Post
    Sorry, I should have said "problems". All of those have been corrected. And I'm not here to bash the Pre. I actually thought about picking one up but the hardware issues Dieter and many others are having were enough to keep me away. At least until another WebOS device is released.
    Wait...you're saying that if you have multiple Safari cards open on iPhone3GS 3.0 and Safari dumps you to the desktop, that the other cards besides the active one that crashed will still be there?

    And what would increased RAM have to do with random reloading?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions