Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Yeah back to OT.

I spat my coffee the first time I saw the copy and paste commercial. They really are good at their ads.

Only apple is right- there's an app for that makes me laugh too. Ive been a long time WinMo user before the Pre- had every app i could want there. But suddenly its new!
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    And I can Citrix into my desktop and with my Citrix App or conference in with my WebEx app and anything I need to do for work too And I can play dice poker too The phone is productive enough for me but if I really needed to be productive, I'll use my laptop or my desktop
    If I really needed to be productive, I'll use my laptop as well. But we all know how fun it is to carry that thing all over God's creation...
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    God, I'm so sick of this first generation excuse. As a buyer, I don't care what generation a phone or OS is. I'm going to compare the features, functionality, quality and reliability of the phones as they exist at the time I'm ready to buy. I'm not buying potential, I'm buying functionality that helps me manage my day. I'm not buying a toy (although I realize some of you are doing just that) to play with, root and hack. I'm buying a tool, to do a job.

I'm not iPhone fanboy. I don't own one, and don't want one. But right now the iPhone offers a lot more than the Pre does. Full copy and paste may be new to the iPhone, but the Pre doesn't do it yet. Video recording may be old hat, but the iPhone does it and the Pre doesn't. That's what customers will notice. While there may be hundreds of fart apps, there are also thousands of useful productivity apps, almost none of which exist for the Pre.

It matters not to the typical buyer that the Pre might, some day, if we all have faith and cheer real loud, add to the Pre the features that half a dozen other devices have today, and fix all the bugs that they let out the door, and offer a wide selection of useful apps. What matter to the typical buyer is what the Pre has today.

And the "go somewhere else" attitude is a bit juvenile, don't you think? The purpose of this forum is to discuss the Pre, warts and all, and that includes how it compares to competing devices. If hearing dissenting views bothers you so much, then stop reading them.
    See, this is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. You may not actually own an iPhone (or maybe you do), but you sure sound like someone who has drunk the Koolaid.

The ability to do just about anything and tons of apps in a mobile device is out there, and has been for years, Apple didn't invent that. It's called WinMo. But WinMo has a clunky interface that makes it difficult to use (although I've recently seen the lastest version and it's MUCH improved).

And as someone who is NOT interested in buying a new phone every year, I'd rather own a device that, while it's not perfect and has a few warts, has enormous potential for growth through updating just software. I'm not a member of the NOW generation so I'm fine with waiting on it while I enjoy the rest of the features of the device. As opposed to buying from a company that, for instance, doesn't even bother with something as silly as a replaceable battery because they EXPECT you to buy a new phone from them every year. Maybe YOU, as the self-proclaimed typical buyer, don't care about that, but I do. I've got an iPod video that I'm perfectly happy with, other than the fact that it's now a brick unless I take it back to Apple and pay them to replace the battery, or oh, hey - why don't you just buy a new one while we have you here?

And it's funny you think that saying it's a first gen device is an "excuse" yet the fact that it took Apple 3 years to develop copy and paste, you can't properly multitask and still can't send an MMS is perfectly fine because, well -it's Apple. Don't criticize, Lord Jobs knows what he's doing. Don't question the Lord. Yet for some reason, right out the door the Pre is supposed to do EVERYTHING that EVERY other phone does or it's "epic fail"?? Give me a break. And if it's such an obvious failure, it doesn't need you in here chasing negative comments trying to insure that, right? It'll happen on it's own.

The iPhone is a nice product, but it's not for me. And I was simply making the point that their marketing campaign and ads, more than just showing a feature, are written in a way which is intended to make people think they are the originators of something that's already been done.
    It's called effective marketing. I couldn't tell you how many iphone users who used to glaze their eyes up when copy n paste was mentioned. Now they wonder how they lived without it. Apple took forever with it, but they did it very well. I'd certainly market it.

Video took forever too considering the competition. But again, Apple did it very well. It's not something so terrible that you disregard it like you did on the Centro.

You know something? How great would it be if Palm ever marketed any of its features? How many Centro users even knew there were 3rd party apps? How many people knew you could use ptunes on a Centro that could stream internet radio?

The Pre and webOS has great potential. I'd show off multitasking by showing off the browser, email, and messaging along with Pandora. The browser alone is why half the people bought an iphone (as Apps developed, that's the other main reason). It's the one feature that users continue to mention in polls that they value.
    I've had my first gen iPhone since the first day they went on sale 2 years ago in 2007. My battery is fine.

Now back to the topic. For all of the folks making wise racks about Apple advertising features that other phones have had for years, the jokes on you. It doesn matter who adds a feature first. It matters most who implements the feature BEST. Apple doesn't slam features into their devices immediately because they want to make sure that they are absolutely necessary and them they take the time to do them right because first impressions only come once in the tech world.

The mere fact that the world may PERCIEVE that Apple has invented a particular feature that's been available for years on other platforms is a testiment to the utter and complete FAILURE of Apple's competitors to implement said features in an easy to use and attractive manner. So why get angry at Apple when it's Microsoft, Nokia, RIM and SonyEricsson you should be pissed at?

Well I actually have an answer to my own question. A lot of technically inclined people, geeks like myself, simply place no value in easy to use interfaces. This is why Apple's success and adoration by the public is so perplexing and infuriating to most techies. If you don't value something yourself then you won't recognize it when Apple provides it nor miss it when Apple's competition DOESN'T provide it. This is why with a straight face a techie can look someone dead in the eye and tell them that Wimdows Mobile, Symbian or Blackberry are great operating systems. It's almost as if there's two types of people evaluating and purchasing the same products.
  6. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    cut and paste didnt exist until apple put it into the iphone.
    LOL my ***** boss is convinced this is true.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    You mean, the same company that has a multimillion dollar ad campaign with two guys pretending to be computers? Actual demos my arse....
    those aren't iphone commercials but mac commercials, so it's totally off-topic.
    but since we're offtopic, I love the I'm a Mac commercials, even though I don't own any apple products. The commercials aren't even on tv in the Netherlands so I watch them on the apple website for fun. That's how good those ads are.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    It's called effective marketing. I couldn't tell you how many iphone users who used to glaze their eyes up when copy n paste was mentioned. Now they wonder how they lived without it. Apple took forever with it, but they did it very well. I'd certainly market it.

Video took forever too considering the competition. But again, Apple did it very well.
    I really don't understand all the sour grapes against the iPhone by people who don't own one. Sure, they took too long for basic features like video and cut/paste to appear. But if their implementation is done so well then does it really deserve to be mocked? Especially since the current Pre way of doing it is pretty limited and complex.

Their copy/paste is fantastic (IMO, 2nd best to the basic stylus driven one on WinMo). And trimming ends off video is an incredibly useful feature, especially for when you're sending from a phone. (No, they don't have mms YET. But that's a limitation on the carrier, not the phone).

Existing iPhone customers may have been frustrated by these missing things, but now that it's here then why shouldn't they be excited for it? We'll be acting the same way when video, voice, visual voicemail etc hit the Pre.
    funny the 3G still can not do video even with 3.0. my old razor could do that...
    on thing the iPhone will NEVER have is Flash
    cut and paste, is that the best selling point they could come up with?
    Quote Originally Posted by NDPTAL85 View Post
    I've had my first gen iPhone since the first day they went on sale 2 years ago in 2007. My battery is fine.

Now back to the topic. For all of the folks making wise racks about Apple advertising features that other phones have had for years, the jokes on you. It doesn matter who adds a feature first. It matters most who implements the feature BEST. Apple doesn't slam features into their devices immediately because they want to make sure that they are absolutely necessary and them they take the time to do them right because first impressions only come once in the tech world.

The mere fact that the world may PERCIEVE that Apple has invented a particular feature that's been available for years on other platforms is a testiment to the utter and complete FAILURE of Apple's competitors to implement said features in an easy to use and attractive manner. So why get angry at Apple when it's Microsoft, Nokia, RIM and SonyEricsson you should be pissed at?

Well I actually have an answer to my own question. A lot of technically inclined people, geeks like myself, simply place no value in easy to use interfaces. This is why Apple's success and adoration by the public is so perplexing and infuriating to most techies. If you don't value something yourself then you won't recognize it when Apple provides it nor miss it when Apple's competition DOESN'T provide it. This is why with a straight face a techie can look someone dead in the eye and tell them that Wimdows Mobile, Symbian or Blackberry are great operating systems. It's almost as if there's two types of people evaluating and purchasing the same products.
    I beg to differ. I had a buddy come over with his Instinct a few nights ago and he showed me some really nice voice-activation features on that phone that I wasn't even aware was out there. Why? Because I've never seen it on a TV commercial.

Most people don't even know what's available on other platforms because they get their info from marketing. Have you EVER seen a WinMo or PalmOS commercial on TV?? No. You've got one company flooding the airwaves giving you their perspective on the world. And now that somebody else has the audacity to produce a product that might be a good alternative, despite the fact that the iPhone has major market share, the Fanboys are freaking out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    I really don't understand all the sour grapes against the iPhone by people who don't own one. Sure, they took too long for basic features like video and cut/paste to appear. But if their implementation is done so well then does it really deserve to be mocked? Especially since the current Pre way of doing it is pretty limited and complex.

Their copy/paste is fantastic (IMO, 2nd best to the basic stylus driven one on WinMo). And trimming ends off video is an incredibly useful feature, especially for when you're sending from a phone. (No, they don't have mms YET. But that's a limitation on the carrier, not the phone).

Existing iPhone customers may have been frustrated by these missing things, but now that it's here then why shouldn't they be excited for it? We'll be acting the same way when video, voice, visual voicemail etc hit the Pre.
    I don't hate the iPhone or the Mac. I hate the cult.
    Quote Originally Posted by rotorrocket View Post
    cut and paste, is that the best selling point they could come up with?
    Their other selling points are basically common knowledge now. Ipod? check Browser? check An app for that? check
    Most people don't even know what's available on other platforms because they get their info from marketing. Have you EVER seen a WinMo or PalmOS commercial on TV?? No.
    Who's fault is that? They have money to advertise.

You've got one company flooding the airwaves giving you their perspective on the world. And now that somebody else has the audacity to produce a product that might be a good alternative, despite the fact that the iPhone has major market share, the Fanboys are freaking out.
    Honestly, I don't see iPhone owners 'freaking' out that the Pre is out.
    Sounds like your freaking out a bit though. As you said, you have 'hate' in you.
    Don't take it so personal... here, sit down, have some koolaid
    God I love this thread. People making fun of Apple for making a commercial that demo'd copy/paste operations that the Pre can't do. We all know Apple didn't invent copy/paste, but have you ever seen an implementation so easy, fully functional, and seamless? I haven't. It took them FAR too long, but at least they got it right, but all you people can do is make fun of them for advertising it. You're saying, "hahaha, look how late to the game Apple is, copy/paste is so basic!" when your product of choice doesn't even do it well. There are real complaints against the iPhone and bashing this commercial is one of the lamest attempts to discredit Apple I've read in a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Who's fault is that? They have money to advertise.

Exactly. Instead of making Santa Claus commercials or "multitasking" commercials with an OS that doesn't multitask, Palm should've been telling (showing) the mainstream what the phone (centro) can DO. Same with the Pre but instead i've seen that one Facebook ad with all the dancers running around in a field. (have to admit i don't see many commercials since i dvr most shows i watch).
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    Laugh all you want but this is what makes apple successful... they show actual demos of how the phone works on TV, people LOVE this - way better than palm's metaphoric flowing together artsiness...
    I completely agree with this statement. If Palm wants to stay afloat they need to invest more on advertisement. I guess when you have practically NO APPS or BASIC function's YET what is there to advertise.
    I thought the commercial was great. I even rewound it and watched it again. The fact that they made an entire commercial for a function the the competitor is missing shows they take the Palm threat seriously and want to showcase the features they have that Palm doesn't.

Smart business if you ask me. And I don't care how long it took for the iPhone to get the feature. The fact is they have it and the Pre doesn't. And that is really all that matters if you want that particular ability.
    If I remember correctly didn't Palm spend quite a bit of money on the few commercials they have now? I bet you the Apple style commercials don't cost that much.

I think Palm needs to employ some of the people on these forums to think of some quality advertising commercials that appeal to the public. Don't get me wrong, every time I see the commercials for the Pre I freak out, but maybe only because I have already seen it online and know what it is. I am pretty sure many of us could create more useful commercials showing off the features with a basic camcorder.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast