Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Twenty thousand comedians out of work. Keep your day job, cause you're not funny!
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    I'd return the pre if i were him too. It's obviously to complicated for him to work properly. Maybe a jitterbug?

too funny! i was thinking the same thing!
    he needs big buttons so it won't be confusing.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Who cares.
  4.    #24  
    Dang - I seriously don't like the phone features of the PrPrPr&#$275$; $and$ $ask$ $a$ $simple$ $question$ $to$ $others$ $who$ $might$ $know$ $of$ $features$/$functions$ $of$ $the$ $Lotus$.

Thanks Ny88RiCaN and hrdcamjc for confirming that the Instinct is a bad choice. And for pointing out the phone can be answered while closed, it's just tough to do while not looking at the phone. I will practice.

Sorry the rest of the respondents feel the need to denigrate and belittle. I absolutely love everything about the PrPrPr&#$275$; except the phone, and I need the phone more than everything else put together.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    The lotus is excellent for a dumbphone, large screen, nice keyboard, good camera, great features, many people do not like its square shape, but still a great phone. As for the Instinct, it has excellent features for a dumb phone, visual voicemail, large screen, though the touchscreen isn't as easy to use as the Pre and will require you to retrain yourself how to swipe/tap things. You should also look at the new Exclaim (Samsung M550) since it has a double slider, nice features and a large screen.

TBH: Re-teach yourself how to use your Pre and enjoy an amazing smartphone with a wonderful touch UI.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
    You love everything about the phone except the pre? Did you read what you wrote?
    Quote Originally Posted by PREferred View Post
    You love everything about the phone except the pre? Did you read what you wrote?
    He wrote he loves everything about the pre except the phone. by the phone, it's pretty obvious he means the phone app or the usability of the pre as a phone, rather than the phone itself. Did you read what he wrote before commenting on it?
    I don't think this is worth trading the Pre over. Change the way you answer your calls.
    Far Left what exactly do you mean by it's tough answering the phone while not looking at it without opening it?

Do you slide it open as a way to answer without looking at the screen and sliding up the answer circle?
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    He wrote he loves everything about the pre except the phone. by the phone, it's pretty obvious he means the phone app or the usability of the pre as a phone, rather than the phone itself. Did you read what he wrote before commenting on it?
    +1
    Man, what is up with this board lately. It is starting to take on the appearance of a video game website where kids try to one-up each other with how much they know or how little they think others know about [insert content]. I can handle a little needling after a dumb question. As I am still a month out from being a Pre owner, I can't comment on how the device actually works. I just think it was heading towards that "over-the-top" area that I think this board is above.

Maybe it's a good sign for Palm. There are a lot of folks on here who rip on Apple fanboys yet there must be a lot of iPhone users making the switch as there seems to be more and more folks on here behaving like those Apple kids.....
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post
    Do you slide it open as a way to answer without looking at the screen and sliding up the answer circle?
    Exactly. If the PrPrPr&#$275$; $is$ $in$ $standby$, $that$'$s$ $not$ $too$ $difficult$.

But if the screen is visible when the call comes in, touching the middle of the screen (where the "slide-me-up" green button lives when the screen is shutdown) opens my contacts list and hides the phone app.

The photo below on the left shows the PrPrPr&#$275$; $screen$ $when$ $a$ $call$ $comes$ $in$ $and$ $the$ $screen$ $is$ $off$. $The$ $photo$ $on$ $the$ $right$ $shows$ $the$ $screen$ $when$ $a$ $call$ $comes$ $in$ $and$ $the$ $screen$ $is$ $on$:

So - if the phone rings and I touch the middle spot, I get two completely different results depending on whether the PrPrPr&#$275$; $screen$ $had$ $shut$ $off$ $or$ $not$.
    Last edited by Far Left Texas; 06/29/2009 at 03:28 PM.
    On that screen when it's not in standby you just press the green button on the left side. You don't need to slide it. I myself kind of find it a little odd that they have two different answer screens. I would assume in the case of the non standby screen you are already looking at the screen since that only comes up when the phone is on and most likely being used.
  13. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Okay, so be mindful of where you place your finger?
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Okay, so be mindful of where you place your finger?
    That's what she said! lol sorry had to do it.

But yea I agree with the posters, Swiping up to unlock and answer the phone versus hitting the green answer button when not in standby is intuitive to me and I've yet to arbitrarily hang up on folks doing so.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Far Left Texas View Post
    Exactly. If the PrPrPr&#$275$; $is$ $in$ $standby$, $that$'$s$ $not$ $too$ $difficult$.

But if the screen is visible when the call comes in, touching the middle of the screen (where the "slide-me-up" green button lives when the screen is shutdown) opens my contacts list and hides the phone app.

The photo below on the left shows the PrPrPr&#$275$; $screen$ $when$ $a$ $call$ $comes$ $in$ $and$ $the$ $screen$ $is$ $off$. $The$ $photo$ $on$ $the$ $right$ $shows$ $the$ $screen$ $when$ $a$ $call$ $comes$ $in$ $and$ $the$ $screen$ $is$ $on$:

So - if the phone rings and I touch the middle spot, I get two completely different results depending on whether the PrPrPr&#$275$; $screen$ $had$ $shut$ $off$ $or$ $not$.
    I was kind of confused by this too... the first time the phone rang I had no idea how to answer.

When I get confused and am only half paying attention when a call comes in, I tap and hold on the green circle. It will either answer or say "slide up to answer". That way I know what exactly to do, given the different screens.
    The Instinct has two different answer screens too, I think you're left with going with a flip phone if it's too much trouble.

There is no need for a Slide to Answer function if the phone screen is already active, because, presumably, you're already looking at it so there isn't a chance to accidentally answer.

Another downside to the Instinct is that it doesn't have a proximity sensor so your face can trigger functions while you're on a call. I think you'd have more trouble with that phone than the Pre.
    Best Buy Mobile Rep (I'm off the clock, I speak for myself and not Best Buy)
    Quote Originally Posted by sam1am View Post
    "Trading in my BMW. Should I get a Yugo or an '85 Oldsmobile instead?"
    Buy american!
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Being serious.....In NO WAY should you downgrade to an Instinct. Here are legitimate reasons (and I owned the S30):

1. No Microsoft Exchange support without the need for a desktop connector (at least for me)
    2. No custom background (minor)
    3. No Apps. Even the barebones App Catalog is MUCH better than what's available for the Instinct
    4. VERY laggy software. Typing a text on it required me to re-type as I made way too many mistakes because the software was behind.

and most importantly.....
    5. NO LOCK SCREEN DURING A PHONE CALL. Which means your screen stays on the entire time you are on a call KILLING your battery. This has been a known issue since the 1st gen Instinct has come out and Sprint/Samsung has yet to fix it.
    "Music is well said to be the speech of angels." - Thomas Carlyle
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post
    Sounds like an apple fan-boy posting BS.
    I second this!

But I've basically become sceptical of ALL negative posts, and even some of the supposedly "positive" ones.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    The OP's not ready for a smartphone yet. Get a Nokia.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast