Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39
  1. #21  
    Yes it is a dumb move but is this a concession to VZW? Or is that the way it will be delivered to all providers? If former then return her pre get a cheap pre paid for the time being and when it's released for Sprint buy it then with wifi.

    Now if VZW has a 6 month exclusive then you'll have to rethink what to get her in the meantime.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    "If you owned it you would understand" doesn't really help.. how about some features or reasons that make the blackberry better than other smartphones like the pre or the htc winmo phones?
    I actually had this same conversation with a friend of mines earlier and couldnt really come up with any good benifit other then "If you owned it you would understand". ive owned a windows mobile phone, and the blackberry was i breath of fresh air. I also told myself that i would never own another windows mobile phone.

    Oh I got one high point of a blackberry. The fact that you do not have to worry about poll interval for email, which kills battery life. The blackberry doesnt poll for email. the blackberry server sends emails to your phone as they come in, almost like text messages.

    the reason I switched to the pre is because of the UI, which is beautiful compared to the blackberry's ugly/outdated UI.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by farrock02 View Post
    I also am considering going back to my Blackberry then getting the tour when it comes out. I tried all the battery enhancing tricks with no improvement. from your quote, i take it take you never owned a blackberry. just playing around with a friends blackberry no a few mins, you will definitely not be impressed. If actually owned and used a blackberry you will understand. The pre's user interface is far more enhanced then the blackberry UI and I will love to keep my Pre, but its just not doing to job for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by farrock02 View Post
    I actually had this same conversation with a friend of mines earlier and couldnt really come up with any good benifit other then "If you owned it you would understand". ive owned a windows mobile phone, and the blackberry was i breath of fresh air. I also told myself that i would never own another windows mobile phone.

    Oh I got one high point of a blackberry. The fact that you do not have to worry about poll interval for email, which kills battery life. The blackberry doesnt poll for email. the blackberry server sends emails to your phone as they come in, almost like text messages.

    the reason I switched to the pre is because of the UI, which is beautiful compared to the blackberry's ugly/outdated UI.
    I assume you're not running exchange? Exchange pushes email too.. and you don't have to buy a $2500 piece of software on top of it to make it work.
  4.    #24  
    Well, I was using BB for about 3 years before the Pre & even though I prob wont be going back, I can def see where the appeal of them lies.

    I mean, for apps & "internet stuff", they kinda suck. Although its getting better, they're still behind in this regard. The new OS is better, but its still not up to par as far as this goes. And for touch? Well, you see what happened to the Storm. Just not ready to be a player in the touch world. That OS wasnt made for it & they tried to shoehorn it in there like Nokia is doing.

    But as a "utility" as far as texting, email, & the customization that the OS gives you, you really cant beat em. So I can see why a person like my wife who just uses those things, wants them to work & work well, & wants stellar battery life in a no fuss no muss layout takes to them so well.

    I personally just got bored with that & not having any apps or a decent browser.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post

    But as a "utility" as far as texting, email, & the customization that the OS gives you, you really cant beat em. So I can see why a person like my wife who just uses those things, wants them to work & work well, & wants stellar battery life in a no fuss no muss layout takes to them so well.
    Agreed 100% on battery life,it's pretty damn amazing on the BB, but texting on a blackberry, IMO, doesn't hold a candle to the Pre or even Winmo. No threaded texting = no thank you. As for e-mail, I think BB is living on reputation more than anything else at this point. With EAS or even Gmail on the Pre, you get push just as effective as with BB- and you don't have to go through BB's servers and the possibility of those going down. Having used a BB Curve, the keyboard wasn't all that it was cracked up to be, at least for me.

    On the other hand, there is no accounting for taste! everyone is different and likes what they like. Good luck to the wifey with the Tour.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    I assume you're not running exchange? Exchange pushes email too.. and you don't have to buy a $2500 piece of software on top of it to make it work.
    Okay no problem. somewhere down the road when or if you ever own a blackberry you will understand the hype. If rim had a better looking UI, I dont think iphone or palm will stand a chance. im definitely not some blackberry fanboy, im someone who owned many different phones and the most reliable ones are BB's
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by farrock02 View Post
    Okay no problem. somewhere down the road when or if you ever own a blackberry you will understand the hype. If rim had a better looking UI, I dont think iphone or palm will stand a chance. im definitely not some blackberry fanboy, im someone who owned many different phones and the most reliable ones are BB's
    I'm not looking to pick a fight just trying to understand, I think your last few words are what I'm looking for here.. you think a BB is more reliable.. that would be a reason why it is better.. let's keep those thoughts going.
  8. #28  
    I must admit, the Pre is a tad laggy when texting and emailing...as opposed to 755P or BB.

    My brother whom I personally bought and upgraded a Pre for decided today to go back to the 755P.

    in his words "too slow to call a person while driving"
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    I must admit, the Pre is a tad laggy when texting and emailing...as opposed to 755P or BB.

    My brother whom I personally bought and upgraded a Pre for decided today to go back to the 755P.

    in his words "too slow to call a person while driving"
    I agree with that (at least the text/email, the phone app seems pretty fast.)

    Hopefully we will some some performance improvements on core apps like this in an update soon.

    I know my winmo phone was totally unusably slow until I installed custom cooked ROMs on it (made by the community).
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    I must admit, the Pre is a tad laggy when texting and emailing...as opposed to 755P or BB.

    My brother whom I personally bought and upgraded a Pre for decided today to go back to the 755P.

    in his words "too slow to call a person while driving"
    I think thats where flashy UIs like webOS, iPhone, etc fail a lot. Its really slow & much more cumbersome to do simple things like this. And they all lag because thats just the nature of a flashy UI. Whereas something more low key like BB OS thats mostly text-based really whips the others at.

    But like I said earlier, if you want more from your phone & want it to be more like a little computer, laginess is just something you have to suffer with. I do get annoyed with the Pre when I just need to call, email or text someone quickly. But for me, the other things make up for it. But for someone like my wife who mostly just does those simple things & doesnt take advantage of the really cool features, then it just seems like a slow phone that gets crappy battery life.

    All about Pros & Cons & what ones needs are.
  11. Lito305's Avatar
    Posts
    210 Posts
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    I know a good divorce attorney.
    lmfao !!! thats what I say to that as well!
  12. #32  
    sadly, hearing that the blackberry tour is coming July 20th, i think I'm returning my pre tomorrow.. this battery dying in 10 hours is killin me..
    plus all i've owned in the last 3 years is blackberry...
  13. #33  
    I have had several Blackberries and I disagree with all the "great battery live" stuff. Especially with the newer models. Cnet got 5 hours of talk time on the curve and on the Pre.

    So why is the pre's effective battery life lower than a BB?
    1. Because it has a bigger screeen which draws more power
    2. The internet and multimedia is pretty poor on the BB so people don't use it as much.

    When I used my BB for internet browsing I couldn't get through a whole day either and I had two batteries.

    So the Curve is marginally better on battery life but I wouldn't bet on the Tour being as good.

    Where I miss the BB is in a notification light and a "new since you opened your mail box" count not just an unread count. Also, BB works with Notes and Groupwise which is very important to 35% of corporate email readers.
    Last edited by Homie; 06/29/2009 at 08:24 AM.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    I'm thinking about doing the same except waiting for the HTC Hero.
    I'm waiting for the Hero too. I'm hoping that Sprint does not destroy the HTC Sense experience with a mandatory Sprint home page and icons. I'm also hoping that tethering is not disabled; the 3.5mm jack is not removed, the PIM applications are in better sharp then the Pre's and that syncing with Exchange works better.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Homie View Post
    I have had several Blackberries and I disagree with all the "great battery live" stuff. Especially with the newer models. Cnet got 5 hours of talk time on the curve and on the Pre.

    So why is the pre's effective battery life lower than a BB?
    1. Because it has a bigger screeen which draws more power
    2. The internet and multimedia is pretty poor on the BB so people don't use it as much.

    When I used my BB for internet browsing I couldn't get through a whole day either and I had two batteries.

    So the Curve is marginally better on battery life but I wouldn't bet on the Tour being as good.

    Where I miss the BB is in a notification light and a "new since you opened your mail box" count not just an unread count. Also, BB works with Notes and Groupwise which is bery important to 35% of corporate email readers.
    My curve would get through the day with a single charge but usually the low battery notification would come on in the middle of the night if I didn't plug it up to the charger at bed time. I'm finding my power tweaked Pre to be just about on par with my Curve as far as battery life goes.
  16. Eltaco's Avatar
    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    #36  
    When our contract was up about 2 years ago. My Wife and I both had original Katana's. We were shopping the Sprint page, I was looking at Instinct and she wanted the BB curve. At the time they were both 149 out the door with a new 2 year. Instead of going with the Instinct we both got BB curve. I took my BB curve back the next day as I didn't like the UI and features were missing that were on the Instinct (MMS) and being able to play video's sent to it via MMS. Now that OS 4.5 is on her BB curve, I wish I had kept my curve. BB now has an app store that has some really handy and fun apps. Looking at the "Tour" but I have a feeling since it will have GSM my shared family plan will not cover it, ergo we will need 2 separate plans. Palm hopefully will be "pulling a rabbit out of it's hat" and by August have a refined Pre. If not I am sticking with the Instinct and watch closely as new hardware is released. Unfortunately a month later Pre seems like Palm's Titanic and there isn't enough life boats.
    ˙soə ɹoɟ ƃuıʇıɐʍ ɹəllıʞ "ʇɔuıʇsuı" uɐ ʇuɐʍ ʇsnɾ ı ˙ɹəllıʞ "əuoɥdı" uɐ əq oʇ "ēɹd" ɹoɟ ƃuıʞool ʇou
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by farrock02 View Post
    I also am considering going back to my Blackberry then getting the tour when it comes out. I tried all the battery enhancing tricks with no improvement. from your quote, i take it take you never owned a blackberry. just playing around with a friends blackberry no a few mins, you will definitely not be impressed. If actually owned and used a blackberry you will understand. The pre's user interface is far more enhanced then the blackberry UI and I will love to keep my Pre, but its just not doing to job for me.
    I returned my palm pre last week, and I will get the tour on the 20th. I am trying the HTC Snap just to play with it. I have the Samsung I-325, I wish the BB tour had the wifi too. the Snap has it
  18. #38  
    Oh well, time will tell, meanwhile, I'll keep playing with my Pre and enjoying it, I also don't get this Crackberry thing going on with some people, I had two curves; the 8330 and the Nextel 8350i, yea they were good, but nothing special, or at least not for me, since I did not become an "addict", so anyway, Pre it is, for me, for now.
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
  19. Quold's Avatar
    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    #39  
    I currently am using a Verizon BB storm (ugh) and the Pre. I got my Pre a week after it was released due to some confusion at the store. I use my phone for a number of different purposes, mostly business related. However, there are a few key things that are very important to me, and I have found over the course of the last few weeks that the Storm does these things much much much better than the Pre does. These include: being able to do research on the internet that involve looking at PDFs (such as 10Ks), being able to send out group text messages, being able to email several different clients with ease, the ability to copy-paste information from text messages or emails (or webpages) into other sms/emails/etc.
    The blackberry makes this process very easy - to the point that you don't need to think about it. However, the Pre either doesn't support many critical features, or it takes a pause in action to bring to mind how to do a think. I realize that this last part is something that will be eased through more usage. Also, reliability is pretty incredible with BBs.

    Example from this weekend: An organization that I am involved with was throwing a camping trip. As I was about to leave from the store to go to the camp ground, I realized I didn't actually know where it was. I jumped onto the organization's webpage from my Pre. The webmaster had forgotten to update the page with the address (but the name of the camp ground was provided). However, a flier in PDF format was available for viewing. I found that I couldn't access the flier from the Pre. Also, the name of the campground was a little hard to spell. As such, it was too much for me to attempt to remember. I put away my Pre and pulled out my BB. I went to the site, opened up the PDF and found that it directed me back to the webpage (big oops there). However, I was able to simply copy-paste the name of the place into google, and an address was then given to me.

    In situations like this (which seem to happen to me a lot) the Pre is absolutely useless. Unless this is fixed soon, I will be returning it. Don't get me wrong, the Pre seems to be an awesome device, but I don't quite see it as a tool - more of a toy - at least at this time. This is a personal opinion.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions