Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm really stuck between these two, Sprint and At&t are great in my area with 3G and EVDO Rev A. So reception is a problem, I've seen some things about the pre being extremely fragile... And I have an Ipod touch and apps don't mean jack crap, and most of them are dumb. And I would go absolutely for the pre if I haven't seen people talking about it breaking. if it does how do i replace it do i have to buy another? if so at 200? or like 500? or ... sorry for the long question but thanks. =) and also with all the charging problems...
    Lol. Being that ur on a pre board, ur likely to get many people answering Pre.

If you get the insurance, the deductible will be 100. IMO, the Pre isn't as fragile as some people are complaining about. At least mine isn't. mine is pretty damn sturdy.
    Honestly, my suggestion would be to try the Pre out for 30 days and keep it if you like it or return it if you don't. You'll only be on the hook for an activation fee ($18) plus the pro-rated cost of your plan (use it for 2 weeks, pay for half a month).
    The Pre doesn't break a lot, it doesn't break at all if given normal use. The main problem with the Pre has been quality control and devices with screens with light bleeding / disconoloration, dead pixels, or both. And also some units are coming out with a gap in the slider which makes it a little jiggly in the closer position. Otherwise it's as solid as most any other slider phone out there.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by enarez View Post
    Honestly, my suggestion would be to try the Pre out for 30 days and keep it if you like it or return it if you don't. You'll only be on the hook for an activation fee ($18) plus the pro-rated cost of your plan (use it for 2 weeks, pay for half a month).
    Umm How would I do that? how do I try it out for a month? and what do you mean pro-rated cost?

And to the other guy sorry, but what do you mean a 100 dollar deductible, like 100 bucks off? then will the phone be 100 or like 400 cause your paying for a phone off contract or just? sorry...
    Quote Originally Posted by live_free View Post
    Umm How would I do that? how do I try it out for a month? and what do you mean pro-rated cost?

And to the other guy sorry, but what do you mean a 100 dollar deductible, like 100 bucks off? then will the phone be 100 or like 400 cause your paying for a phone off contract or just? sorry...
    If your phone breaks, you pay the insurance company 100 dollars and they send you a new or (more likely) refurbished phone. That is if you pay the $7 a month insurance premium.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    If your phone breaks, you pay the insurance company 100 dollars and they send you a new or (more likely) refurbished phone. That is if you pay the $7 a month insurance premium.
    Oh ok I understand lol thanks =)
    Mine is a little loose when close,but i carry my in my pocket when i m at work and I bang it a few times still holding strong.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I'm really stuck between these two, Sprint and At&t are great in my area with 3G and EVDO Rev A. So reception is a problem, I've seen some things about the pre being extremely fragile... And I have an Ipod touch and apps don't mean jack crap, and most of them are dumb. And I would go absolutely for the pre if I haven't seen people talking about it breaking. if it does how do i replace it do i have to buy another? if so at 200? or like 500? or ... sorry for the long question but thanks. =) and also with all the charging problems...
    alright well since you state apps dont mean jack ill do a comparison on my experience with an Iphone 3G Vs Palm Pre (didnt get a 3gs cuz i felt it was the same thing) I also didnt include the keyboards in the lists because thats just based on personal preference.

The Things IPHONE has over the pre are as follows
    1. Ability to search music files On Phone without launching the music app
    2. Huge App Catalog (doesnt matter for you though)
    3. Controlling what music plays by voice and compass
    4. Video Recording

Things Pre Has Over Iphone (not going to include gestures because it can be annoying depending on who you are)
    1. Multitasking (open multiple applications as you need them and switch between them without having to start over from scratch)
    2. Camera With Flash

Thats about it, love my pre to death but the only thing that makes it appeal different from an IPHONE is multitasking everything else is pretty much the same, if the price of your bill is an issue then youd probably sway toward the pre as sprint is better at pricing than AT&T. Everything else on both phones is pretty much the same kind of experience just applied differently but still both are great products. So if video recording and saying "Play Green Day - Boulevard Of Broken Dreams" isnt important then id go with the pre. Solely because AT&T iphone pricing seems like your paying for having an iphone than you are for actual service.
    Pre exchanges are pretty simple (take it back to point of purchase and either get wait listed for another one or get another one on the spot) I've bought 6 pres now (all from different locations in new york) and I havent experienced a single issue mentioned on the forums (battery issues really dont count).
    Last edited by smonme; 06/26/2009 at 04:01 AM.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smonme View Post

Things Pre Has Over Iphone (not going to include gestures because it can be annoying depending on who you are)
    1. Multitasking (open multiple applications as you need them and switch between them without having to start over from scratch)
    2. Camera With Flash
    You forgot a physical keyboard
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vaylen View Post
    You forgot a physical keyboard
    didnt include keyboard, since its based on personal preference (read above) if you like typing on screen your gonna want an iphone, if you wanna type on a physical keyboard your going to get the pre. Since both keyboards work great I think it boils down to preference.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by smonme View Post
    alright well since you state apps dont mean jack ill do a comparison on my experience with an Iphone 3G Vs Palm Pre (didnt get a 3gs cuz i felt it was the same thing) I also didnt include the keyboards in the lists because thats just based on personal preference.

The Things IPHONE has over the pre are as follows
    1. Ability to search music files On Phone without launching the music app
    2. Huge App Catalog (doesnt matter for you though)
    3. Controlling what music plays by voice and compass
    4. Video Recording

2. Camera With Flash

Thats about it, love my pre to death but the only thing that makes it appeal different from an IPHONE is multitasking everything else is pretty much the same, if the price of your bill is an issue then youd probably sway toward the pre as sprint is better at pricing than AT&T. Everything else on both phones is pretty much the same kind of experience just applied differently but still both are great products. So if video recording and saying "Play Green Day - Boulevard Of Broken Dreams" isnt important then id go with the pre. Solely because AT&T iphone pricing seems like your paying for having an iphone than you are for actual service.
    Pre exchanges are pretty simple (take it back to point of purchase and either get wait listed for another one or get another one on the spot) I've bought 6 pres now (all from different locations in new york) and I havent experienced a single issue mentioned on the forums (battery issues really dont count).
    Thanks but why have you had 6? that concerns me... like 6 different contracts or replacing them..... Also do you know how much it will be for just like 600 minutes 100 texts or w/e around that and unlimited data? Thanks guys =) I feel like a pest lmao... =P Cause I can't seem to figure out sprints site and the nearest store is like 30 mins away and I don't want to waste gas just to see how much it is. ( when i call them they just tell me to go there website...cause there "busy" =?)
    I was geniunely excited about the pre when it first came out, but after owning it, I felt like it just wasn't complete. I am a huge palm fanboy and a die hard physical keyboard fan, but I've given up on palm and gone with the iPhone 3gs. I do not regret returning my pre one bit. I like the fact that web pages load faster and applications launch faster. I don't feel like it's necessary to have multi tasking when the iPhone can play your music library in the backround. Overall, I am more satisfied with the iPhone than I ever was with the pre.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Thanks but why have you had 6? that concerns me... like 6 different contracts or replacing them..... Also do you know how much it will be for just like 600 minutes 100 texts or w/e around that and unlimited data? Thanks guys =) I feel like a pest lmao... =P Cause I can't seem to figure out sprints site and the nearest store is like 30 mins away and I don't want to waste gas just to see how much it is. ( when i call them they just tell me to go there website...cause there "busy" =?)
    Oh no didnt have 6 replacements but i bought 6 phones, all @ radio shack (1 for my girlfriend, 2 for family members, 2 for work employees) I took the 900 minute plan with unlimited data and text for 89.99 a month (also added a employee discount). You can also choose the 450 minutes with unlimited data and texting for 69.99, those are the only 2 plans available without going unlimited everything for 99.99. Na your not a pest your just inquiring before making your purchase, in response to the guy who returned his pre for an iphone 3gs, glad your happy with your purchase keep on rocking dude.

Try calling this number to get a pre by phone 1-866-866-7509. That's the number sprint gave employees at my job to call to get a phone, try it out let us know.
    I decided to try both for 30 days before committing to a two year contract. Although I really like the pre I decided to go with the iphone 3gs. I would alternate days between phones and found myself really missing the iphone on days that I had the pre. The pre just feels fragile to me compared to the iphone and my main concern is how well the pre would hold up using it everyday. I know the pre just came out but the iphone feels like a finished product.

I really hope the pre does well and when the times comes to replace the iphone I will give the pre another try and hopefully some of the hardware concerns that I have will be addressed. I just don't want to go through the growing pains the pre will experience right now but think it has a ton of potential.

Like a previous poster mentioned they are both great phones but the iphone is a better fit for me at this time. Good luck with your decision.
    The Pre's been out for ~3 weeks so it's longevity has yet to be determined. Could be the loose slider is just a manufacturing defect that wasn't caught by their QA process or it's a design flaw.

I'll say that I've had several palm devices (pilot IIIx, Visor, Treo 650, Centro) and all of them lasted multiple years (excluding the Centro I've only had for 10 months). Most of the issues with Palm devices tend to be found pretty quickly and historically have been software related more than hardware.

As for the try-before-you-buy, it's like the "lemon law" for cars. You can sign up for cell service and you have 30 days to determine if the phone/service is suitable for you. If you say no you return the phone, pay for the service you used, and the contract is torn up.

Assuming you don't have a cell phone number to port, you could actually get both an iPhone3GS and a Pre and give back the one you don't like. Keep in mind that Sprint's service plans are almost universally cheaper than ATT.

As for the merits of each you may want to consider your (expected) usage profile. The Pre is a great 2-way communication device so if you plan on sending a lot of email/SMS/twitter/etc, the Pre's your best choice. The Iphone is much more of a media delivery machine, great at providing you information & media. (I'll note that the sprint service plans are especially cost effective for the Pre's SMS/MMS-heavy target audience. ATT doesn't support MMS on iPhone yet)

That's not to say that the iPhone can't twitter or that Pre can't play videos, but there are numerous subtle places where the diverge based on their core ideals. When in doubt, Palm chose the option that let you communicate more/faster/better while Apple made the decision that made sure media playback was optimized.

Part of the reason the iPhone doesn't multitask is to ensure that media playback is always stutter-free and perfect. On the Pre you could run so many apps that media gets choppy. That's not possible on the iPhone. Ironically, the Pre's subtle notification system is less likely to interfere with your media experience than the iPhone.

As for browser speed, there's some indication that the iphone 3GS gets a performance boost when sites recognize it and give an optimized page. The Pre's too new and doesn't use the same browser id tag. The GS almost certainly has more optimizations than WebOS, being on version 3 of the OS, but with webOS already performing in the same ballpark as the GS I would expect a WebOS performance update in 3-6 months or so that either brings them to parity or lets the WebOS pull ahead.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Smonme, he's torn between pre and iphone 3GS.
    Your 3G don't mean squat, no comparison to the pre, pre all the way.
    But the 3GS is a whole different game.

Top of my head:
    32 GB vs 8
    Video recording at 30 fps vs will be coming, we hope
    Auto focus camera vs terible flash
    TRUE universal search vs not so universal
    Voice command vs none
    Bigger screen vs .....

Thers more, so the pre vs 3gS gives something to think about. Plain 3G phone is no comparison accept if one has a 16gb version vs 8gb pre.
    Build quality was the big thing in the end that did it for me (dead pixels out of box just one of the issues)...After having it a day I had to keep talking myself into wanting to keep it becasue I knew it wasn't going to make it...Sucks because I wanted it to like it...Can't compare the build quality of the iPhone to the Pre..It's just not even in the same ballpark..The OS on both is soild, I really like the web OS better. Right now I can live with the shortcomings of the iPhone OS and have a solid phone that will last. If I wasn't still interested where Palm is going I still wouldn't be here on the forums..
    The iPhone costs WAY too much. Period.

And I don't mean just the device, but the plan you're forced into. They make a big deal about the iPhone 3G being dropped to $100, but who cares when it still ends up more expensive than the Pre after 2 years?
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainchump View Post
    I was geniunely excited about the pre when it first came out, but after owning it, I felt like it just wasn't complete. I am a huge palm fanboy and a die hard physical keyboard fan, but I've given up on palm and gone with the iPhone 3gs. I do not regret returning my pre one bit. I like the fact that web pages load faster and applications launch faster. I don't feel like it's necessary to have multi tasking when the iPhone can play your music library in the backround. Overall, I am more satisfied with the iPhone than I ever was with the pre.
    I did the same thing, returned the Pre yesterday and flipped over to a 3GS. I was quite torn - there are features in the Pre (and more generally, in WebOS) that I think they just got right, things that the iPhone doesn't do as well or as intuitively (why can't I swipe from day to day on the iPhone? Feels natural, but it doesn't work for some reason, as an example) but at the end of the day, the Pre strikes me as a phone that won't survive a full year for me. The iPhone feels much more solidly constructed and ready to withstand daily, even rigorous, use.

To be fair, though, I view my phone as a true PIM and PDA that goes with me everywhere, a bit of a swiss-army like tool. I believe that both phones are well up to the task; I was more concerned with build quality than anything else when I made my decision to switch from the Pre to the 3gs.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast