Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    So, I've just had an awful experience with Research in Motion, my Blackberry Storm, and now, VZW's billing department. I'm leaving. To where, though, I don't know. I'm not exactly an iPhone guy, and have no desire to pay equivalent-to-Verizon rates with AT&T, so it really comes down to T-Mobile and Sprint. Both have very similar coverage in my area, so the true fight is the G1 and the Pre. Does anyone have experience with both pieces of hardware, or even WebOS vs. Android?

My three biggest things are web browsing, games (specifically emulation), and music. While the web browsing experience is in the Pre's court, the G1 has more games as of yet. Both have comparable music players, but the G1's lack of a 3.5mm headphone jack kills. I'm just not sure if it kills as much as the pitiful 7 gigs of usable space on the Pre.

So, despite the bias of the community, anyone care to educate me? Thanks!
    This is all from personal experience, but I do not like the G1 at all.
    I spent probably about an hour with my friend's G1 (when he still had it) and here is my opinion.

The bad:
    • To me the hardware is bigger than it needs to be
    • the software just feels clunky and slow
    • the interface is not very intutive.

The good:
    • I'm also not a fan of landscape keyboards, but I have to say the keyboard is REALLY nice on it.
    • The screen looks great and is responsive to clicks.

I've read a lot about slowness and signal issues with the phone, but take that with a grain of salt as the same things are posted here about the Pre and I haven't had a problem.

The best thing would be to try it out for yourself to see what you think.
    If you decide on Andriod vs WebOS then you may want to wait for one of the future generation Android phones as they, at least from the videos, appear to be much more mature.

I'm by no means bashing Andriod, I think it's a great platform, but would stay away from the G1.

Again, just my opinion.
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
    I have the G1 with me right now and placed an order for my Pre just a few hours ago. Reason? Very weak T-Mobile signal at both my condo and my office. As far as the G1 and Android are concerned, I absolutely adore both of them and would never think of parting with them, if only I had a decent signal where I spend most of my time.

Expandable memory on the G1 sure is sweet. If you're concerned about the 3.5mm jack, latest cupcake update added stereo bluetooth support in the G1, which I use quite heavily. It's great to not have wires dangling down your chin while listening to music. Stereo bluetooth headphones are not very expensive these days either, ~$25 to $50. I miss Pandora though, which is one major advantage Pre has over the G1.

So, it's a close tie between both of them. Pre - 1 (browsing), G1 - 2 (music with stereo bluetooth and games).

So, if I had similar coverage for both service providers, I would choose the G1 and stick with T-Mobile. Probably I like the openness of Android and nice big 5 line keyboard of the G1.
    I've only had a little bit of experience with the G1 and android, but I like it a lot. The benefits of the G1 are those you've stated and the phone does feel a little more solid. The G1 is very google-centric, as you might imagine. Does it do EAS yet?

The Pre on the other hand, is preferable (to me, at least) because of the UI, the 3.5 jack, and the vertical, as opposed to horizontal slider.

The biggest thing for me between the two is the service. Depending on where you live, one or the other may have much better signal.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Tmo isn't 3G ... Are they? If web browsing is important, the Pre is 3G Rev A as compared to Tmo's non 3G network.
    The G1 is pretty old now and with the HTC hero coming in like 2 moonths I'd wait for that. If you go sprint your only real option is the Pre. Emulation should come via side loading fairly soon and wjile the phone needs work OS wise it is still onw of the best devices out there. I agree with you on storage but in reality you can make due with less. We shouldn't have to but the decision has been made. The benefits do outweigh the negatives even in the Pre's current state.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Thanks for the opinions thus far, guys, it's helping a lot. I'd do BT headphones on the G1, but it'd suck battery big time. Though from what I've heard, even with BT running, it may still beat the Pre's current longevity (or lack thereof). As for 3G, it'd be awesome if I had it around me, but I'm in an EDGE/1X area as of now on every major carrier.

And I would wait for the HTC Hero, or even the Magic/MyTouch, but I kinda need a physical keyboard, which, as someone else stated, is a huge plus for the G1. I dunno, it's very confusing right now.
    I just bought a pre and i have toyed around with 2 g1s at work and as of right now in terms of overall experience I need to side with the pre. Both have physical keyboards and even though the g1 is bigger and easier to type on the pre isn't that bad at all and took almost no time to adjust.

The WebOS platform is just so smooth I can't even compare it to android on the g1. If you can't wait to see the hero or mytouch i say go for the pre... Also remember that more apps are coming with the release of the sdk later in the summer, so if you are afraid of the app lacking right now it should pick up...
    I have the G1 and am currently evaluating the Pre.

Sprint's EvDO is definitely stronger and faster, but does not allow voice and data together, a minor inconvenience. It will also not work overseas if you travel.

T-Mobile is far cheaper if you don't use much voice and if you don't need navigation. $55 vs. $69 a month.

I actually prefer USB audio, because it leaves a single port to handle everything. The Pre has a USB port for charging and PC connection on the side, but a seperate 3.5mm audio on top. It's a mess to hook them both at the same time, I really bugs me. USB converters are far easier to deal with than multiple cables on different sides of the device.

Reliability: problems are mounting on my Pre, and I'm already on an exchange waiting list. I'm considering just returning it because I don't want to get stuck after the 30 day period with new problems on my 2nd phone. My G1 in comparison is built like a brick, and has had absolutely no problems since day one.

Usability: the Pre is much faster and more enjoyable to use. However, Android at 1.5 is more polished and mature, and has better Gmail integration. Some heavy web sites will work adequately on the Pre but be unusable on the G1.

Battery life is slightly better on the Pre.

Memory: the G1 accepts SD cards, but it has extremely limited RAM. You won't be able to install the games, given that most are a few MB. I have the apps I absolutely want and will not add more, as I have 25MB RAM left, which is the threshold for efficiently running the OS. All those apps are around 1MB, games are out of the question. You cannot install them on the SD card.

So, I'm on the fence and it's sort of hard to justify the Pre, having the G1. But for you, it really depends if you have the patience to deal with a 1.0 OS and device.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    G1 was old news even when it was released. Remember, it was the same prototype Google was showing off for months before its release.

Also, I just came from T-Mo. Theyre a good company, have some good plans, but their coverage & 3G just plain sucks. I live in a city with 1.5 million people & we STILL dont have T-Mo 3G. In 2009, thats just unacceptable.

And they really are the worst carrier for phones. AT&T has the iPhone & some hot Blackberrys, Sprint has the Pre, Verizon has the Storm (the new one is supposed to be much much better), and T-Mo has...the G1 & Sidekicks. Oh & that new MyTouch3G that is basically the same thing but without a real keyboard. Pass.

As far as Android goes, its just OK, but no where NEAR what the Pre & iPhone OSs offer. Its pretty generic & looks like something from about 2005.
    My guess is that in 18-24 months Android will start to get really really awesome. But it's not there yet, and in the meantime my Pre is really nice.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Hmm, never really considered the limited app space of the G1, but I'd also probably root the device, so apps2sd would solve that if need be. And readams, I'd tend to agree; either way, I'm banking on an evolving platform, and being an ex-iPhoner, I really hated living in the controlling, corporate environment that Apple provided. I have the same worries about Palm, and despite Android's lack of sex appeal as opposed to WebOS, it's open and it's got a bright future created by users. And while WebOS certainly has a lot ahead of it, the horizon certainly isn't as open as the one on Android.

But I also like to show off, and the Pre would be a way nicer device to pull out of my pocket. Though I also beat the crap out of my devices, and as some of you have said, the G1's built like a brick. Can the same be said for the Pre at this point?
    Quote Originally Posted by CTFan View Post
    Hmm, never really considered the limited app space of the G1, but I'd also probably root the device, so apps2sd would solve that if need be. And readams, I'd tend to agree; either way, I'm banking on an evolving platform, and being an ex-iPhoner, I really hated living in the controlling, corporate environment that Apple provided. I have the same worries about Palm, and despite Android's lack of sex appeal as opposed to WebOS, it's open and it's got a bright future created by users. And while WebOS certainly has a lot ahead of it, the horizon certainly isn't as open as the one on Android.
    I wouldn't worry so much about Palm, at least not for that reason. Palm has a pretty long history of being pretty open to developers.
    Quote Originally Posted by CTFan View Post
    Dont be so sure. Android may be based on openness, but in the end, the carriers still have final say so of what goes on the device. This is why you dont see any tethering apps in the Android Marketplace. If its so "open", then it wouldnt matter. So obviously theres other forces at play here.

But of course you CAN get the G1 to do those things by rooting, but hey. You can also with the Pre as well. So it really doesnt matter in the end because neither are wide open.
    I could root it but haven't started tinkering with it yet. That said, I like my devices to be great in stock form, and tinkering should be extra, not required. So that when you install an update you don't have to worry about breaking your customizations.

I totally hear you on openness. One of the things that bug me is that I can report bugs and issues and feature requests, but have no way of knowing what Palm will be doing about them. I absolutely hate being in the dark waiting for a feature or a fix for a major issue and not hearing anything about it and finally moving on to a different device.

At least with Android, you can go and talk to the devs and fix stuff yourself if you're so inclined. OTOH, if you want something sexy and elegant, you have to accept those golden handcuffs. Over the years my patience for handcuffs has somewhat diminished, but it's different with everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    Dont be so sure. Android may be based on openness, but in the end, the carriers still have final say so of what goes on the device. This is why you dont see any tethering apps in the Android Marketplace. If its so "open", then it wouldnt matter. So obviously theres other forces at play here.
    With the exception of tethering, T-Mobile has been totally hands off so far. Again, it's all about trade-offs. You go with a smaller carrier and a more generic device, you might suffer in terms of absolute performance and elegance, but get more freedom.

Sprint wouldn't even let me download a song from Amazon over 3G.
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    With the exception of tethering, T-Mobile has been totally hands off so far. Again, it's all about trade-offs. You go with a smaller carrier and a more generic device, you might suffer in terms of absolute performance and elegance, but get more freedom.

Sprint wouldn't even let me download a song from Amazon over 3G.
    Regarding tethering, I have asked multiple TMo representatives (customer care, in store reps) and they all said the same thing, T-Mobile does not actively block tethering. If I can find a way to tether using my phone, I am free to do so and I would not be violating any terms or face any outrage (unless of course if I start abusing it). And I have done that a few times as well, without any ill effects on my service.

OTOH, Sprint seem to be actively blocking tethering attempts on the Pre (even if Palm might want to be open about it).
    Maybe, but Google did remove a tethering app from the Android Market.
    Quote Originally Posted by premaddy View Post
    Regarding tethering, I have asked multiple TMo representatives (customer care, in store reps) and they all said the same thing, T-Mobile does not actively block tethering. If I can find a way to tether using my phone, I am free to do so and I would not be violating any terms or face any outrage (unless of course if I start abusing it). And I have done that a few times as well, without any ill effects on my service.
    Why would they? Their 3G coverage is still very poor and I'm sure most people have no intention of tethering on EDGE.
    Quote Originally Posted by nilemann View Post
    Tmo isn't 3G ... Are they? If web browsing is important, the Pre is 3G Rev A as compared to Tmo's non 3G network.
    I think Tmobile has 3g in about 16 cities(maybe more at this time). They are not a great choice for 3g coverage. They are expanding but it will take time. If games are big deal for you, I would go with the G1. The Pre has three games for it and none of them are great. I'm sure there will be more in time but I don't know what the quality of those games will be.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast