Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by nilemann View Post
    Tmo isn't 3G ... Are they? If web browsing is important, the Pre is 3G Rev A as compared to Tmo's non 3G network.
    I think Tmobile has 3g in about 16 cities(maybe more at this time). They are not a great choice for 3g coverage. They are expanding but it will take time. If games are big deal for you, I would go with the G1. The Pre has three games for it and none of them are great. I'm sure there will be more in time but I don't know what the quality of those games will be.
    Browsing is great on the Pre. You will love cards/having multiple apps active.

As for music, I no longer use my Ipod. Love the sound quality on the Pre. Yes, no external storage but I put a lot of songs on my Pre. Very easy to add and subtract, and quick. When I want a change it will be a snap to do-----so no big deal.

Games, you will need to be patient but I can tell you webos is made for developers and I think within a year there will be big developments on gaming.

WebOs is amazing.

But---just put a Pre in your palm. The form factor is so much better than G1. And the Pre is a gorgeous phone.
    The Pre form factor is way better than the G1. There are decent Android phones out there if you're really interested in the OS but I personally prefer WebOS' interface and functionality over it. Android got over-hyped with the Google name but enthusiasm for it seems to have died down significantly since its launch.

I think one of the big concerns at this point is the quality issues Palm has been having with the new manufacturer building the Pre. Quality been pretty inconsistent with most people getting great devices but others having to repeatedly get replacements. I wish Palm would start providing direct support because I hate talking to those CSRs at Sprint everytime I have a question.

The only other problem I have is you're stuck with a CDMA handset which you can't unlock and use with any other service provider once the Sprint contract is up, or have good international roaming support if you travel a lot. Starting out with GSM would have been a better choice in my opinion.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    i am also going through the same decision making process.

my g1 is rooted and has apps2sd. but since all my apps and cache go to the microsd card, they lag....alot. it could possibly be fixed by formatting it to ext3 instead of ext2, but its not a guarantee. ive had the g1 since 2 days before the official release and have been kinda meh with it since. i keep on saying to myself that it will get better over time. time has passed and it has gotten better, but not considerably better. this is mostly software related so im sure things will eventually get better. my main gripe with the g1 is the fact that i did have to root it and do apps2sd just to install a few apps. i dont really store much music or video so even 1gb memory would have made a world of difference, and not having that without the need to deal with wiping and apps2sd'ing is really swinging me towards the pre. the one thing i will really miss for a while, until someone finds out how to, is being able to tether over wifi.

for me the form factor, aesthetics, and the os of the pre have pretty much finalized my decision to jump ship from tmo (with a $200 contract breaking fee). although it is not advisable and should not be done, the pre is definitely easier to text with while driving haha. (i have to do this on occasion during work hours when the boss or a client needs something). another deciding factor for me is that tmo is really slow in terms of advancing their technology. they have 3g in limited regions, and have just recently acquired it....imagine how long it would take for them to implement something like LTE. as of now it seems like sprint is willing to advance their technology as it becomes available.

the decision is a difficult one as the pre is fairly similar to the g1 when it was launched: limited apps, not quite finished OS, etc, and i hope, if i keep it, that the os advancement of the pre will be better and faster than android has been. also its hard to leave a company that you have been with for about 10 years (since voicestream days)! haha
    Don't go to Tmobile...and don't get the G1.

The myTouch is out now...or soon.

Better yet though....get the Pre.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Eh, the MyTouch's lack of a physical keyboard is a true deal-breaker. I dunno, coming from a Blackberry Storm, ANYTHING'S an improvement. :P But I'm still torn. The Pre is quite a bit more pricey as well. Seeing as my VZW ETF is already going to be insanely high, it's hard to justify $300 for a Pre, as not a single customer service rep will work with me on getting around the mail-in rebate. For a dying carrier, they're sure not working very hard to lock in new customers.

In the end, I may just end up having to get the G1 for the sheer sake of convenience; despite the fact that I'm really leaning Pre after reading a lot of this thread and playing with both phones a bit, it's an impossibly hard device to find for $200 and I'd need to do this all within a week or two.
    If you get it at bestbuy, you get an immediate rebate rather than a mail in. You should be able to get it there for 200.
    Radioshack also does the instant mail in rebate. Problem is, you would be hard pressed to find a pre in stock at either locations.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    lol i sold my g1 for a pre so I guess Ill share my experience, had my g1 for about 4 months.

The Good:
    1. The OSK keyboard was pretty cool

The Bad:
    1. Battery life on g1 better than the pre? only if you decide to pay for power saving apps and shut off every feature the g1 does lol.
    2. The camera is near useless unless you use it to just scan barcodes
    3. Facebook app and tons of other apps would freeze and close or just fail to boot up overall, even the messaging app would freeze going from landscape to regular and back again.
    4. The phone itself doesnt feel good in your hand or when your using it, imagine a slightly bigger touch screen version of a sidekick and its the g1.
    5. Googletalk would either log out randomly or not send messages or both (funny how the phone endorsed by google couldnt make google talk work nicely but works great on the pre)

I have alot more negative things to say but it got to a point where I stopped using my phone for a month because I just honestly hated it. My suggestion dont make the mistake i did and go to Tmobile cause their ETF of 200 is harsh.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Ouch... really that bad? I don't mind putting up with first-release bugginess, but the reason I'm ditching my Storm is for its crashes and general slugginess that I just can't put up with anymore. Maybe the Pre is the only real viable option after all?

And those saying I can get it for $200 at BestBuy and RadioShack, it's like you said: The odds of that happening are very slim right now and I can't go weeks on end without a phone.

EDIT: Smonme, did you ever run Cupcake on your G1? I've heard it makes things much better.
    Well I don't know what smonme is talking about, it's nonsense.

Android at 1.5 never crashes and GTalk works always. I have it on all the time and chat with people from around the world at any time, anywhere with the G1. It replaced the desktop one for me.

Really Android is now polished and feature full.

I do agree that the camera on the G1 is useless.

That said, last night I used the Pre and was taken with it again, even after dealing with a annoying audio problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Visor To Pre View Post
    Games, you will need to be patient but I can tell you webos is made for developers and I think within a year there will be big developments on gaming.

WebOs is amazing.
    Happy you like your phone but how is it any more developer friendly than Android?
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Well, I went into BestBuy today and post-preordered a Pre for their next shipment on July 8th, throwing down $50 in-store. I hope I'm not disappointed! :P Thanks for all the help, guys.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    How are the PIM apps on Android? Does it come with a ToDo list or Notebook?
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    Well I don't know what smonme is talking about, it's nonsense.

Android at 1.5 never crashes and GTalk works always. I have it on all the time and chat with people from around the world at any time, anywhere with the G1. It replaced the desktop one for me.

Really Android is now polished and feature full.

I do agree that the camera on the G1 is useless.

That said, last night I used the Pre and was taken with it again, even after dealing with a annoying audio problem.
    I was stating my experience my Gtalk never worked like it should, and I did have the 1.5 cupcake update (a bunch of apps started failing even harder after that)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12