Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 52
  1.    #1  
    Dear Pre owners/fans,

    I have been a follower of the Pre since day one, almost to unhealthy levels. But today a new gadget has come forth to try and seduce me. I am talking about the HTC Hero.

    This video shows that the UI is really slick.

    I am not trying to troll, I am asking some real questions about why this device has nothing on the Pre. Note: I am talking entirely software.

    Does the widget approach of the Hero compare with the cards of WebOS? Are the Synergy features of WebOS like kryptonite to the Hero?

    Help!
  2. #2  
    Android does not sync with Exchange Activesync. Deal killer for me.
  3. webdave's Avatar
    Posts
    369 Posts
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Android does not sync with Exchange Activesync. Deal killer for me.
    Hero does. HTC built it in.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted-D View Post
    Does the widget approach of the Hero compare with the cards of WebOS? Are the Synergy features of WebOS like kryptonite to the Hero?
    you have to use it extensively to answer those questions, if you are attempted, thats fine, wait until its out and take a look at it.

    Its underline still an android phone, so my suspicion is that the first answer would be "NO", but answer to the second question may be more or less a "Yes".

    Still, even small differences in detail of implementation sometimes make big difference in user experiences. So, nothing is guaranteed.

    One thing for sure, it might or might not be able to catch up with the Pre, it will not exceed it. and it won't be out until next year.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted-D View Post
    Dear Pre owners/fans,

    I have been a follower of the Pre since day one, almost to unhealthy levels. But today a new gadget has come forth to try and seduce me. I am talking about the HTC Hero.

    This video shows that the UI is really slick.

    I am not trying to troll, I am asking some real questions about why this device has nothing on the Pre. Note: I am talking entirely software.

    Does the widget approach of the Hero compare with the cards of WebOS? Are the Synergy features of WebOS like kryptonite to the Hero?

    Help!
    The devices are very similar, with the Pre's physical keyboard being the primary differentiator. This is like being "seduced" by Olivia Wilde while you're dating Megan Fox.
  6. ken0311's Avatar
    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    #6  
    IF palm gets their act together and gets us some OpenGL support, the Pre UI will destroy that one or at least equal it. I suspect, this will happen eventually along with themes and extremely UI's.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    and it won't be out until next year.
    I live in Australia, so who knows when I will have a chance to buy a Pre. (If you know, please let me know)

    Seeing as there is no CDMA network in Australia there is no way I can get a Pre yet. The Hero is supposed to be released in July in the UK and I could import and use one of those.
  8. #8  
    Well, I'll tell you what I told some one else before about the iPhone; you have to get whatever phone works best for you, like; which service provider works better where you live and go, what are the plan/prices for that device, how are you planing to use it, and test them and see which one you like and feel more comfortable with.

    Now, to be fair I had/use several phones before: Instinct, Treo 800w, iPhone 1st and 2nd, Motorola i870 and ic902, HTC Touch Pro, BB Curve, BB Curve 8350i, Etc...

    And now I own the Palm PrPrPr&#$275$;, $and$ $do$ $not$ $regret$ $it$ $for$ $a$ $single$ $moment$!!!
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
  9. #9  
    I need to see more, but "Sense UI" seems more like a skin, sort of like TouchFLO 3D is a skin for Windows Mobile devices. It looks nice, but it's only... well... skin deep. On the other hand, the WebOS card paradigm is fundamental to the system. In other words, WebOS doesn't need a skin to present a dynamic and efficient means to organizing applications.

    To be fair, though, I have zero experience with Android.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    One thing for sure, it might or might not be able to catch up with the Pre, it will not exceed it. and it won't be out until next year.
    Android is in many ways superior to WebOS so saying it won't be able to catch up is idiotic.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Android is in many ways superior to WebOS so saying it won't be able to catch up is idiotic.
    I don't consider any OS that can not allow end users easily manage multiple tasks as "superior" in any way, shape or form.

    Its idiotic to kneel before google for everything without thinking through it.
  12. #12  
    color me unimpressed...
  13. #13  
    its great in theory, really it is.. amazing, revolutionary.. unfortunately, as with all HTC innovations, they seem to be very buggy and sluggish. There are some great, great features, then again, after watching a hand on video, it seems very sluggish and almost unpractical.

    The real test is when it comes out to the public. Then we can all make judgments
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Android is in many ways superior to WebOS so saying it won't be able to catch up is idiotic.
    In what ways is it superior? (a genuine question)
  15. jayzun's Avatar
    Posts
    192 Posts
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    #15  
    What you saw in the Sense video is not equivalent to what the actual device will run like. Put tons of pauses in there and chunkiness. The videos for the HTC TouchFlo on Windows Mobile were very impressive as well...until you used them.
  16. #16  
    No keyboard, deal killer for me thats why I passed on iPhone and waited for Pre.
  17. gallio's Avatar
    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    #17  
    There is no way the phone runs that smooth. One of my biggest gripes with Android on the G1 is that while even running tweaked custom builds, the phone doesn't seem very smooth when opening stuff or when there are transitions.

    That was a promotional video made by HTC. The real device will probably chug along as you scroll through those multiple home pages.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    How is that off-topic? That could never be off-topic. In fact, in whatever thread that might appear, it should become the topic.
    +1
  19. #19  
    The Palm is going thur some transistions now! Positives ones! Remember this! This is the first generation of the Pre! Expect go things coming from them! As for HTC ! They are a good company and they offer good products ! I can never say any thing bad about them! Cause I used to own a HTC Touch Pro! But HTC software can't let YOU! open multi apps as far I have seen! Like the Palm pre! As for the HTC Hero it won't be available until in the U.S.A maybe in the end of the year as it posted in ther website!

    Availability
    The HTC Hero will be available to people across Europe in July and in Asia later in the summer. A distinct North American version will be available later in 2009.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by wealthyrich View Post
    The Palm is going thur some transistions now! Positives ones! Remember this! This is the first generation of the Pre! Expect go things coming from them! As for HTC ! They are a good company and they offer good products ! I can never say any thing bad about them! Cause I used to own a HTC Touch Pro! But HTC software can't let YOU! open multi apps as far I have seen! Like the Palm pre! As for the HTC Hero it won't be available until in the U.S.A maybe in the end of the year as it posted in ther website!
    Um. No offense, but... um... Gee. Is! everything! you! write! there! really! that! exciting! and! important?!? Even! the! sentence! fragments?!?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions