Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    That UI is not much different than the current builds of HTC Touchflo3d on Winmo devices. It's nice looking, but nowhere near as functional as the Pre's. I had TF3D on my HTC TP and it was nice to look at- but I ended up taking it off and using the Winmo 6.5 base UI.

I've only used Android a little bit, but I actually prefer the basic Android UI to what I've experienced with Touchflo.
  2.    #22  
    Thanks for all the advice so far...
    Here is an actual hands on rather than a promotional video for anybody interested.

HTC Hero video demo: Sense UI, Twitter, Flickr and more | Android Community

Also, wealthyrich - I am in Australia and under contract until December. It wouldn't suprise me if I have access to the Hero before the Pre.

If Palm had done an Apple style global launch I would be posting on PreCentral using my Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by galliorevo View Post
    There is no way the phone runs that smooth. One of my biggest gripes with Android on the G1 is that while even running tweaked custom builds, the phone doesn't seem very smooth when opening stuff or when there are transitions.

That was a promotional video made by HTC. The real device will probably chug along as you scroll through those multiple home pages.
    Maybe maybe not. Just because the Pre chugs doesn't mean all the other devices will. The Iphone GS certainly doesn't chug nor does it show the checker board screen when scrolling hardly at all.
    Okay, so, this Sense UI thing provides seven customizable pages where widgets and the like can be loaded. Pretty much what I expected, and much more of a skinning concept. Imagine using your PC and having a total of seven pages where you could pin widgets, and that's pretty much the idea. That, as opposed to being able to load and work with individual applications on a desktop, as we're used to with PCs and, now, with the Pre.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Okay, so, this Sense UI thing provides seven customizable pages where widgets and the like can be loaded. Pretty much what I expected, and much more of a skinning concept. Imagine using your PC and having a total of seven pages where you could pin widgets, and that's pretty much the idea. That, as opposed to being able to load and work with individual applications on a desktop, as we're used to with PCs and, now, with the Pre.
    I think its seven pages and multiple versions of those seven pages. Which I why I am wondering if I can have seven pages of live widgets if they will be more useful than cards.

Can you interact with cards in card view? For example on the Pre can I update my twitter in card view?
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted-D View Post
    I think its seven pages and multiple versions of those seven pages. Which I why I am wondering if I can have seven pages of live widgets if they will be more useful than cards.

Can you interact with cards in card view? For example on the Pre can I update my twitter in card view?
    No. It needs to be selected and many of the programs in card view do not show updates until the card is selected. Loading a webpage for instance will load in the backround but not updated on the card until you select that card and make it full size.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    How is that off-topic? That could never be off-topic. In fact, in whatever thread that might appear, it should become the topic.
    Very true. BTW we should have the Hero and the Pre there. We can then compare camera's on each phone. That and anything else we see while there.
    no.

Just like you can't really do anything to the opened programs on a computer when they are in flip 3d or expose view.

The advantages is only that the programs don't need to be reloaded. Which is quite important.
    Also, the HTC Hero houses a weaker CPU than the Palm Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by wealthyrich View Post
    The Palm is going thur some transistions now! Positives ones! Remember this! This is the first generation of the Pre! Expect go things coming from them! As for HTC ! They are a good company and they offer good products ! I can never say any thing bad about them! Cause I used to own a HTC Touch Pro! But HTC software can't let YOU! open multi apps as far I have seen! Like the Palm pre! As for the HTC Hero it won't be available until in the U.S.A maybe in the end of the year as it posted in ther website!

I feel like you're yelling this through a megaphone standing in front of a microphone during a pre-show soundtest at the VMA's... NOT COOL
    eep! I just had an htc diamond touch flashback watching that video. lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I don't consider any OS that can not allow end users easily manage multiple tasks as "superior" in any way, shape or form.

Its idiotic to kneel before google for everything without thinking through it.
    <--- Not a fan of huge juggernaughts of companies here so I have to agree. Palm's a fascinating company. Tiny yet able to develop a world-class phone which can compete directly with the market leaders. Talk about Davey and Goliath.
    I am so spoiled with multitasking now. The fact that no other current generation phones can pull that off is unfortunate.

The fact that the android lacks multitasking is a complete dealbreaker for me. I'm assuming this phone is also on tmobile? Another huge fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by s0urce View Post
    I am so spoiled with multitasking now. The fact that no other current generation phones can pull that off is unfortunate.

The fact that the android lacks multitasking is a complete dealbreaker for me. I'm assuming this phone is also on tmobile? Another huge fail.

FYI windows mobile has offered multi tasking for years.
    Wow, have to admit that does look pretty slick.

Love how phone makers are actually starting to innovate again.
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by s0urce View Post

Who told you that android doesn't multitask? The G1 multitasks just swell, swell I tell you. I can play music surf the web, jump on a call while music fades out after the call the music kicks in. Also you can be on the call while on the web getting info or maybe google maps to check out a local.

The notification blind allows you to pause music jump to the app or answer an email that was waiting.

Anyways I think the Pre does this more eligently and the ui is more polished but Android definitely multitasks.
    Last edited by lstrike; 06/24/2009 at 11:50 PM.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Yea, the Hero definately turned a lot of heads. I may pick on up because it looks very very interesting and its a GSM/HSPDA device. The processor is two years old though lol.

I have a feeling that Sense is more than skin deep as well. Remember Android is completely open source to anyone, so I'm sure they made some low-level customizations and not just a matter of it being a skin.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I have been running a hero build on my rooted G1 for around a month now and it is more than just skin deep. HTC did a good job modifying quite a bit. The way the contacts are set up for example with multiple pages where you can see txt you sent them, call logs and the social netwroks etc is very slick. Also the browser has flash support which is a little buggy for me but still cool.

Don't get me wrong, since I have gone Pre there is no going back. At least not now but Android is moving along nicely and HTC has made some pretty solid and useful mods more than just ski.
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    Dear Pre owners/fans,

I have been a follower of the Pre since day one, almost to unhealthy levels. But today a new gadget has come forth to try and seduce me. I am talking about the HTC Hero.

This video shows that the UI is really slick.

I am not trying to troll, I am asking some real questions about why this device has nothing on the Pre. Note: I am talking entirely software.

Does the widget approach of the Hero compare with the cards of WebOS? Are the Synergy features of WebOS like kryptonite to the Hero?

Help!
    dude android is a failed OS! if you leave web OS for Android that would be a major downgrade!! good luck
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the advice so far...
    Here is an actual hands on rather than a promotional video for anybody interested.

HTC Hero video demo: Sense UI, Twitter, Flickr and more | Android Community

Also, wealthyrich - I am in Australia and under contract until December. It wouldn't suprise me if I have access to the Hero before the Pre.

If Palm had done an Apple style global launch I would be posting on PreCentral using my Pre.
    why am I NOT impressed????
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast