Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    This can already be done on android devices. Heck, this can also be done on the non-multitasking iPhone.
    OK, then I'd like to see it open multiple web pages out of the email app in separate windows, load them in the background while I read the rest of my email, and then have them fully loaded when I switch to them. Can that be done as well?
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Not at all impressed with the device, bottom line it's still android. Just a bunch of resource hogging widgets. At first I was exited about OS and the endless possibilities with 3rd party apps, but in the end it amounted to nothing...
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Yeah those looked great. In time I'm sure some great things like that will come to the Pre. It is only a couple weeks old. Once the SDK gets out, there will lots of stuff coming up. This fall will be pretty interesting with new apps and possibly Flash. Being able to use some widgets would be cool but if that doesn't happen, it won't bother me.
    Yea all-in-all the fall is shaping up to be a great time...applications should be rolling into the app store, xbox will be releasing some dashboard upgrades...I can't wait
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    BGR posted that they also demo'd the Flash player on the google hero phone.
    now that is pretty sweet

Adobe shows off Flash support on the HTC Hero : Boy Genius Report
    I actually really like the UI. The customizability of it is absolutely fantastic! It only worries me though that there might be a lag and choppiness in changing screens. If they used this UI on a Touch Pro2 hardware I would love it!

I currently am planning to buy a Pre in November (my update time). I just wonder what it will be like by then.

Does anyone have any idea what notifications would be like on this new UI?
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    For those of you wowed by the video, you do know that you could make a Pre video look just as good, right? It's a video. Let's see a real user go through the snappy routine.
    the positives are it's looks nicer and slicker the the original android. i like the texturing and the shine of some of the menus.

negatives. unfortunatley that's most of what i like.

looks like TouchFlo 3D which after using was unimpressive but may be better on Android.
    No keyboard.
    no 3.5 mm jack
    no flash on the camera
    i think it's ugly but that's a matter of taste.
    i found TouchFlo 3D counter intuitive in many cases. Navigating pictures and mail sucked because it was one at time and not sheets of thumbnails. This looks similar.
    Though i like that it's slicked up i'm not a fan of some of the sort of angular buttons and menus. But hey good luck. i don't have my pre yet. i'm on Tmobile. This won't keep me, assuming it's coming to T-mobile. i need the normal headphone jack and a physical keyboard.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trixx View Post
    I think this phone does not have multi-touch which totally kills it for me...
    It does have multi-touch

Quote Originally Posted by stronglikedan View Post
    Nor true multitasking. I'd like to see where they pause in the middle of a typing a text message (before sending), switch to another app and do some stuff, and then come back to the text app without having to start the message over. Then I'll be impressed.
    Come now Pre-Fanboi, you're sounding like an Apple fanatic.

True Multitasking existed before WebOS. Windows Mobile has been doing it for ages. Android does do it. The thing you describe about the web page...yes, it can be done and could be done before WebOS came to be.

Your attitude is the type that will turn people OFF of the Pre. Its the superior, holier than thou, my device is god, mentality that Apple fanboys are hated for.

What the Pre did was not just "true multitasking" but gave the first, out of the box, finger focused interface that actually allowed for EASY NAVIGATION of the multitasking. The other OS's able to multitask do not allow you to switch from app to app nearly as easily, which is one of the big things WebOS has done with its "cards" metaphore. It also did it in an interface focused on touch from the ground up, unlike WinMo or BB. But "true multitasking" is something it has over the unjailbroken iPhone, and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    And yes, you can see Multitouch when the official HTC video shows the browser. There's clearly a zoom with two phantom fingers touching the screen simultaneously. Why other Android devices must go without this is a mystery to me.
    Can't confirm this but I want to say I heard a while back when the first few android phones were coming out that those that choose the GOOGLE branding would not be able to have multitouch, in part due to an agreement between Google and Apple I think.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    If this thing LOOKS like TouchFlo, but actually goes deeper and runs smoother, it should be a pretty decent UI. I thought TouchFlo was a good UI, it just had the unfortunante side effect of being plastered over top Windows Mobile and you can only dress that pig up so much.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Isn't that the same Qualcomm Processor that is rumored for the pixie AKA Eos?
    Honestly why do people on here hate virtual keyboards so much? Except for somewhat easier one-handedness, I find you need to watch what you're typing on BOTH types of boards. because you can either hit the wrong key on the physical one if the keys are small or the virtual one registers wrong sometimes. But auto-correction or auto-words help both of those situations when enabled. Is there really that much of a difference? I use both BTW.

Then when a phone DOES have a full physical keyboard, people still hate it because pull-out keyboards are now a norm(N97, Tilt, Touch Pro), but that's the only way to get a large screen AND a keyboard in the same device and still have it be somewhat compact, which people are also demanding.

Trade-offs, remember that. You either take a smaller screen with a non pull-out physical keyboard, or deal with the pull-out or a virtual to get a big screen. A device would be a bit cumbersome if it had a big screen and a full keyboard that can't be concealed IMO.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post

Trade-offs, remember that. You either take a smaller screen with a non pull-out physical keyboard, or deal with the pull-out or a virtual to get a big screen. A device would be a bit cumbersome if it had a big screen and a full keyboard that can't be concealed IMO.

lol that would be a ugly a** phone!....but thats what happens when u try to please everybody...
    the virtual keyboard on this apparantly has really good predictive text and error correction so I am not fussed by no physical keyboard.

The thing I like about the widgets is that they are live. I can update my twitter from the 'desktop' without having to launch an application. For my usage I think widgets may end up being better than the cards.

I need to wait for reviews and see which one gets to Australia first.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Looks typical. WinMowy type.
    Honestly why do people on here hate virtual keyboards so much?
    when you press the button you can tell by feel whether you actually depressed the key. with a virtual keyboard you can often put your finger on the letter and it won't register or a seperate key that you didn't press registers. If you depress the f but just touch the G but don't depress the G won't register with a physical keyboard. In the same situation with a virtual keyboard the G will register because you merely touched it.
    Looks like a decent phone. Only a few things about the UI seemed interesting (e.g. the scrolling category graphics). Most of it is easy to add with any platform with 3rd party support.
    I find you need to watch what you're typing on BOTH types of boards. because you can either hit the wrong key on the physical one if the keys are small or the virtual one registers wrong sometimes.
    In my personal use, you're entirely wrong. I can type without looking at all on the Pre's keyboard, 90% of the symbols included. I also was able to do the same on all the Treos I've owned. I had to look more closely at my q9c, it had a habit of repeating letters if I typed too fast, but still in general was the same way there.

I don't even zoom in to enter text in web forms on the Pre anymore, and the keyboard backlight is completely off for me as well after slightly modifying the brightness slider for it to go just a little dimmer, with no ill effects at night.

Anyway, as for the Hero, the UI is a huge leap forward from Android, but that's not saying much. I agree completely with mikah that the widgets give a completely cluttered appearance and make it less usable. And other than the fact it's Android (which doesn't give any compelling reason to use a device unless you're an open-source enthusiast), what's so good about this? As noted many times, it's pretty much the same exact interface you get on HTC Windows Mobile phones, and it's not really like there are better applications for Android than there are for WM at this point. Oooh, you get really good Gmail? Somehow I don't see that as a selling point.
    Wow. Folks complain about the Pre being a slider but what about that American Dad chin that this phone sports? I'm pretty sure if it has landscape, your hands will be uncomfortable.

I haven't been a fan of all touch screen phones. The UI seems good but when it's applied to something with a keyboard, I'll pay closer attention
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    Honestly why do people on here hate virtual keyboards so much? Except for somewhat easier one-handedness, I find you need to watch what you're typing on BOTH types of boards. because you can either hit the wrong key on the physical one if the keys are small or the virtual one registers wrong sometimes. But auto-correction or auto-words help both of those situations when enabled. Is there really that much of a difference? I use both BTW.

Then when a phone DOES have a full physical keyboard, people still hate it because pull-out keyboards are now a norm(N97, Tilt, Touch Pro), but that's the only way to get a large screen AND a keyboard in the same device and still have it be somewhat compact, which people are also demanding.

Out of all the virtual keyboards I've used, I always mess up and hit the wrong button and that gets frustrating. On top of that, there are some phones where you have to keep tapping the screen to get the button you want.

And don't mess up your screen. If so your phone is basically useless
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123