Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ahnoff View Post
    Wow... pretty impressed with the widgets and look and feel of everything. Definitely miss the "one look" home screen on my WinMo Touch Pro (turned off the TouchFlo 3D) that told me my schedule and whatever messages or emails i had.

Palm really needs to improve the awkwardness of WebOS... def still in its development phase although I still love my Pre (minus the hardware).
    How long has WebOs been out? I understand people on this board clamoring for Palm to do this and that with WebOs, but sheesh, the dang phone hasn't been out a month yet. Give them some time.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    I think it looks interesting, but widgets = clutter = reduced functionality. Also, having used an all touchscreen device of the exact same screen size for several weeks, I can say that I wouldn't use any keyboard but the landscape one (3.2 inches just isn't great for a portrait virtual keyboard. Hell, I'm not even a fan of the iPhone's at 3.5 inches...), and the constant reorientation would be annoying.

Still, any attempt to polish up the drab UI of Android is a welcome one. Hope we see something similar on Sprint's Android phone this year (although I'm guessing they'll be getting a Samsung one).
    I think it's a much better improvement than the interface on the G1! That said, I still can't get over not having a physical keyboard. Maybe my fingers are just to fat!
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    Haven't we seen this UI before? I thought was TouchFLO 3D...no?
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Haven't we seen this UI before? I thought was TouchFLO 3D...no?
    Well, it's from HTC, so it's probably essentially a TouchFLO 3D skin for Android.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    great background music!

too much going on...not simple enough
    I think this phone does not have multi-touch which totally kills it for me...
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I do hope widgets are in Palms future.. I think it could be intergrated really well.

For instance, A widget could be used from the space that is used to manage your open apps. It contains updated information that you may want to see without the hassle of opening and closing an app. Since all apps are html/javascript/css too, a widget could borrow those pieces from other apps and intergrate them together.

Imagine merging accuweather with the analog clock and it always living on the phone. I currently dont leave apps open in the background. I dont see a need for it, and it doesn't buy me anything. HTCs favorite contacts widget is awesome too. These widgets would remove the need to slide open the Pre's keyboard to and access information even faster. I feel it should be easier to call my favorites on the Pre right now. Opening the dialer and hitting a fast key, or typing their name.

Turn on the screen, hit the button, and use your thumb to click someone. that is the movement i want.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Am I the only one who was drooling over the yahoo finance & weather widget?
    Quote Originally Posted by trixx View Post
    Nor true multitasking. I'd like to see where they pause in the middle of a typing a text message (before sending), switch to another app and do some stuff, and then come back to the text app without having to start the message over. Then I'll be impressed.
    It's just meh. The chin is horrible. The Pre's hardware keyboard gives it a big edge; virtual keyboards suck.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trixx View Post
    It does come with multi-touch built in. There is no android app catalog though. You have to side load apps. There is also no Google Brandings whatsoever on this phone. It will be interesting to see what steps HTC took to keep people from grabbing their propriety UI and using it on other android phones those.

Its already possible to bake your own kernal for the Pre too, so where is the Android port anyways? Anyone know of a group working on this? I know people were working on a build for the OMAP processor in the Pre back in January.
    I think that phone looks great but it is a video so everything probably looks much smoother than it really is just like the iphone commercials which show the apps opening instantly. It is hard to get a true feel without seeing it work in real time but it does seem much better than than the G1 minus the physical keyboard.
    I'm not a pre fanboy so I was impressed even more impressed at the "Basic" features and it actually worked on its first release? Imagine that ....oh I forgot android has been out longer than webos....silly me
    Quote Originally Posted by S4Rs View Post
    It does come with multi-touch built in. There is no android app catalog though. You have to side load apps.
    Always interesting to correct a correction, buuuuuuuuuuuutt....

It does load apps from the Android Market OTA. It just doesn't load FIRMWARE updates OTA (which is kinda odd, but ok).

And yes, you can see Multitouch when the official HTC video shows the browser. There's clearly a zoom with two phantom fingers touching the screen simultaneously. Why other Android devices must go without this is a mystery to me.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    It's nice, but nothing impressed me and I watched the whole video. I know it's a different OS, but my last two phones were the Mogul and Touch Pro and after using the Pre for the last 2-3 weeks, seeing the things HTC kept makes me mildly nauseous.

Until another OS offers something better than the multi-cards and gesturing, I'll be a webOS user. Even when that happens, I'm already attached to the simplicity of webOS and I'm pretty loyal when I find something I like.
    Why see this as "versus" in any sense? When I first saw the Hero, the first thing that came to mind was, "Imagine WebOS running on that!" Or, consider devices like the Xperia X2 or something like the HTC Touch HD or Pro, with their incredible screens and apparently excellent build quality. I love the Pre, but I very much hope it's just the first in a long line of devices that push the limits of technology.
  18. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Let us not get ahead of ourselves here:

Processor Qualcomm® MSM7200A™, 528 MHz
    Operating System Android™
    Memory ROM: 512 MB
    RAM: 288 MB
    Dimensions (LxWxT) 112 x 56.2 x 14.35 mm ( 4.41 x 2.21 x 0.57 inches)
    Weight 135 grams ( 4.76 ounces) with battery
    Display 3.2-inch TFT-LCD touch-sensitive screen with 320x480 HVGA resolution
    Network HSPA/WCDMA:

900/2100 MHz
    Up to 2 Mbps up-link and 7.2 Mbps down-link speeds

Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE:

850/900/1800/1900 MHz

(Band frequency and data speed are operator dependent.)
    Device Control Trackball with Enter button
    GPS Internal GPS antenna
    Connectivity Bluetooth® 2.0 with Enhanced Data Rate and A2DP for wireless stereo headsets
    Wi-Fi®: IEEE 802.11 b/g
    HTC ExtUSB™ (11-pin mini-USB 2.0 and audio jack in one)
    3.5 mm audio jack
    Camera 5.0 megapixel color camera with auto focus
    Audio supported formats MP3, AAC(AAC, AAC+, AAC-LC), AMR-NB, WAV, MIDI and Windows Media® Audio 9
    Video supported formats MPEG-4, H.263, H.264 and Windows Media® Video 9
    Battery Rechargeable Lithium-ion battery
    Capacity: 1350 mAh
    Talk time:

Up to 420 minutes for WCDMA
    Up to 470 minutes for GSM

Standby time:

Up to 750 hours for WCDMA
    Up to 440 hours for GSM

(The above are subject to network and phone usage.)
    Expansion Slot microSD™ memory card (SD 2.0 compatible)
    AC Adapter Voltage range/frequency: 100 ~ 240V AC, 50/60 Hz
    DC output: 5V and 1A
    Special Features G-sensor
    Digital Compass

Note: Specifications are subject to change without prior notice
    Quote Originally Posted by stronglikedan View Post
    Nor true multitasking. I'd like to see where they pause in the middle of a typing a text message (before sending), switch to another app and do some stuff, and then come back to the text app without having to start the message over. Then I'll be impressed.
    This can already be done on android devices. Heck, this can also be done on the non-multitasking iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by korionmorris View Post
    Am I the only one who was drooling over the yahoo finance & weather widget?

Yeah those looked great. In time I'm sure some great things like that will come to the Pre. It is only a couple weeks old. Once the SDK gets out, there will lots of stuff coming up. This fall will be pretty interesting with new apps and possibly Flash. Being able to use some widgets would be cool but if that doesn't happen, it won't bother me.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast