Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I chose the new 32gb iPhone 3GS.

I went back and forth over the last few weeks. Went to two Sprint stores and spent some time with a non-tethered Pre. Spent some time with a friend's 3G. Liked both of them.

So, I went to class last Friday and was talking with a fellow student about phones again. She asked if I was getting a new iPhone today (new phones were released last Friday). I told her no because I figured by 10am they were all gone since people were camping out for these phones from what I'd read online. She suggested I call the store that's a few blocks away.

I called, got voicemail, left a message. Surprisingly, I got a call back about 20 minutes later and was told they had a handful left. I walked out of class and to the AT&T store. It was a pretty painless process, and now I have 30 days to try it out. I'm keeping this phone and my Sprint phone for 30 more days. At that point I will cancel one of my contracts.

So far so good with the iPhone. I'm still testing reception around the Chicago area. The data connections have been good so far.

Not here to bash the Pre. Just wanted to share my experience. I will say though that all the stuff I've read here about apparent quality control issues played a big part on my getting the iPhone instead of the Pre. It also looks like Apple won this round based on first weekend sales: ~1,000,000 iPhones vs. ~100,000 Pres.
    Good luck to you. I will agree with you on the hardware part. If you do happen to get a get a good Pre though I still think its the better choice.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Soooo...you picked the iPhone? AND you came to a Pre forum to tell everyone about it?

I am not sooo sure you actually own a Pre but...in the spirit of fun...I will try and pretend you aren't here trolling...

And certainly no offense but the iPhone was released in 8 countries with a MUCH larger base to begin with...what 16 million iphones sold worldwide even before the 3gs launch?

not only that, but it is still hard to get a good feel of actual numbers. How would the Pre have actually sold IF they had the supply to keep up with demand?

Either way, does it really matter? The Pre sold enough to make both Sprint and Palm happy while the iPhone sold enough to keep Apple happy. Aren't they both winners?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTitans View Post
    Good luck to you. I will agree with you on the hardware part. If you do happen to get a get a good Pre though I still think its the better choice.
    What I bolded/italicized is the key to this whole debate for me. Icamethisclose to getting a Pre (and still may if the iPhone/AT&T let's me down during my first 30 days). I really liked the two that I played with.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Yet another useless thread. Can mods just trash these things?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by alundre View Post
    Soooo...you picked the iPhone? AND you came to a Pre forum to tell everyone about it?

I am not sooo sure you actually own a Pre but...in the spirit of fun...I will try and pretend you aren't here trolling...
    Reread my post. I never said I owned a Pre.

I registered on this forum before the Pre debuted, not that it matters.

As far as trolling, I've never been accused of that in my 10+ years of actively participating in online forums. I'm a moderator on one of the largest musician forums on the planet. I deal with trolls daily. This thread is hardly trolling by any stretch of the imagination.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by punchx View Post
    Yet another useless thread. Can mods just trash these things?
    Yes, they can and may do so with this one.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thudstaff View Post
    Reread my post. I never said I owned a Pre.

I registered on this forum before the Pre debuted, not that it matters.

As far as trolling, I've never been accused of that in my 10+ years of actively participating in online forums. I'm a moderator on one of the largest musician forums on the planet. I deal with trolls daily. This thread is hardly trolling by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm keeping this phone and my Sprint phone for 30 more days. At that point I will cancel one of my contracts.
    You didn't say WHICH sprint phone you were thinking of getting rid of so I apologize if I incorrectly assumed you meant the Pre.

With that said though.....there is absolutely no way I would possibly believe that you aren't here trolling. I certainly don't go to iPhone forums and let everyone know why I traded in my iPhone for a Pre.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    I own a Pre, and I'm starting to consider returning it and getting a 3GS. It's a nice phone, but the fact that the battery burns down so fast, the fact that there are things like no notification on the outside of the phone that I have a message waiting (on a phone built around messaging), the fact that having more than one call at once is crippled (I can't hang up on a call if I pick up more than one call), the fact that the signal fluctuates tremendously, the fact that a lot of websites don't load or stop loading, the fact that the phone heats up so much, and much more.

I'm going to give it a few more weeks, see what happens, but it's not looking good. And the people who stand up for the Pre no matter what, and chastise others for having complaints need to grow up.
    lol good for you but you should have posted that in an apple forum instead of here.
  11.    #11  
    You didn't say WHICH sprint phone you were thinking of getting rid of so I apologize if I incorrectly assumed you meant the Pre.

With that said though.....there is absolutely no way I would possibly believe that you aren't here trolling. I certainly don't go to iPhone forums and let everyone know why I traded in my iPhone for a Pre.
    I have an HTC Mogul on the SERO plan and was considering a Pre (as I mentioned in my first post in this thread).

Believe what you will about me.
    bye... you should never come back to this site anymore.. otherwise you would realize that you are stuck with a piece of sh**.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    So you bought the iPhone because some chick told you to. That's weak man, weak..
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    So far so good with the iPhone. I'm still testing reception around the Chicago area. The data connections have been good so far.
    Pre vs iPhone = Win either way you choose
    Sprint vs ATT in Chicago = Lose if you go ATT. Sorry, but they suck in Chicago.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Siraris View Post
    I own a Pre, and I'm starting to consider returning it and getting a 3GS. It's a nice phone, but the fact that the battery burns down so fast, the fact that there are things like no notification on the outside of the phone that I have a message waiting (on a phone built around messaging), the fact that having more than one call at once is crippled (I can't hang up on a call if I pick up more than one call), the fact that the signal fluctuates tremendously, the fact that a lot of websites don't load or stop loading, the fact that the phone heats up so much, and much more.

I'm going to give it a few more weeks, see what happens, but it's not looking good. And the people who stand up for the Pre no matter what, and chastise others for having complaints need to grow up.
    I totally agree with you! The Pre is far from perfect. Having owned both an iPhone and a Pre, I have to say, I have issues with both devices.

With that said, however, coming to a Pre forum spouting off about how you "chose the iphone" and it "won" some magical contest that I wasn't aware that was being held is certainly trolling.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    lol good for you but you should have posted that in an apple forum instead of here.
    I have posted on an Apple forum. I started posting there around the same time I started posting here. I was doing research on both phones. Just as iStuff folks seem to get blinded by their loyalty to Apple, there seems to be a fair amount of that here relative to the Pre and Palm. Like many have said on this forum, WebOS seems to be a really good OS with lots of potential. It just seems that Palm rushed the Pre just a bit. Both Pres that I checked out at Sprint stores had the sharp edge on the slider. Minor? Sure. Being a guy that spent 9 years in the military, we call that not paying attention to detail.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    good luck with your phone bill....
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Pre vs iPhone = Win either way you choose
    Sprint vs ATT in Chicago = Lose if you go ATT. Sorry, but they suck in Chicago.
    With my limited testing, I'd say they are about even. I've used it in the Loop, Woodridge, Oak Lawn and Joliet and along the highways in between grabbing both data and phone. Both my Mogul and iPhone are similar in both regards.

Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    So you bought the iPhone because some chick told you to. That's weak man, weak..
    That "chick", like me is a full-time professional that is also working full-time on a doctorate.

Quote Originally Posted by rubenfan View Post
    bye... you should never come back to this site anymore.. otherwise you would realize that you are stuck with a piece of sh**.
    Gotcha.

it "won" some magical contest that I wasn't aware that was being held is certainly trolling.
    You're very creative...inventing scenarios out of my first post in this thread. Congrats!
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mpre View Post
    good luck with your phone bill....
    This was a huge consideration for me.

Fortunately I found out that I get an 18% discount on service via my employer. Sprint's plan for the Pre will cost me $69.99; the iPhone plan is $73.79. It's more, but not by much.

And certainly no offense but the iPhone was released in 8 countries with a MUCH larger base to begin with...what 16 million iphones sold worldwide even before the 3gs launch?

not only that, but it is still hard to get a good feel of actual numbers. How would the Pre have actually sold IF they had the supply to keep up with demand?

Either way, does it really matter? The Pre sold enough to make both Sprint and Palm happy while the iPhone sold enough to keep Apple happy. Aren't they both winners?

Ok calling people trolls is getting out of hand. If you had taken the time you would have seen the guy had over 20 posts on this board before the post about picking the iphone over the pre. He was just doing his homework before making a large investment in a phone/carrier. He finally made up his mind and decided to post his experience on this board. His concerns about the Pre hardware are well documented on this board by many other people that actually own a Pre.

This was not a hit and run 1 post Pre Bash.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast