Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    People, relax. Thudstaff came here in good faith, and the only ones I have seen doing any baiting are those that are bashing him. When you bash somebody else for having their own opinion, all you do is demean yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Thudstaff View Post
    I have a GPS in my van, and Google Maps does that also on the phone.

Pandora works well enough for me, plus I can haul out quite a bit of my music collection with the included 32gb storage.

FULL upgrades every 12 months? This must be new. Sprint's upgrade used to be two-tiered. That's cool though. Sprint's early termination is $200; AT&T's is $175 minus $5 for each month you're into your contract.

I checked with Sprint about work discount. I can get 15% (which would negate the 18% that I'm getting with AT&T). I chose to apply it to my family's family plan. Win/Win. How's this 25% work? Is it for everyone?

Thudstaff, Sprint's ETF is $200, yet is also prorated, and ends up at less in the end than AT&T (and sooner). After five months, it starts decreasing by $10 a month, and at 5 months, it ends up at $50. See this link for details.

The 25% Institutional discount is potentially open to everybody, as you can get it by being a member of the Alliant Credit Union (which is quite easy to join - see this thread). I joined the credit union primarily for the discount, though the high interest rate savings account didn't hurt either . If you want, you can also just claim to be a member and get the discount that way, though admitting to doing that here on these forums seems to spark self-righteousness in some . After the discount, I am getting 450 minutes a month with unlimited data and text messages for about $52 a month.

In any case, choose whichever phone you like best, regardless of what anybody else says (of course, I'm sure you will anyway . Both the iPhone and the Pre are wonderful phones, and I'm sure you will be happy either way you go. Good luck, and feel free to ask any questions you want.
    Last edited by roninj; 06/23/2009 at 02:06 AM.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LD__50 View Post
    This is my first post here but I've been actively browsing the site for some time. I will start with the fact that I'm an iPhone owner (started with the original and now chose to go with the 3Gs over the Pre). I was a Sprint customer for around 6 years prior to owning the iPhone.

I work for a company that operates all over the country and I believe I may get moved to a location that doesn't have AT&T coverage within a year. That is why I started coming to this site and the reason I was considering the Pre. It's also the reason I'll keep checking out the site. I'll give my reasons for choosing the iPhone over the Pre below. Also, I'm not and never will be, a troll.

1- build quality- I have had the original iPhone for 2 years and the phone can really take a beating. However, I will mention that my phone displayed a screen blotch exactly like the ones that Pre owners are seeing. Mine showed up when the phone got hot, directly over the headphone jack. Thankfully it was nowhere near as large as those seen on Pres, but troubling none the less. The glass screen is awesome though and in 2 years I never used a case and never had to worry. The original aluminum was great, and I'm not as pleased with the new plastic back, which is very similar to the Pre.

2- Applications- I know everyone says that most of the 50000 applications are useless but that's misleading. The more available apps, the greater the chance you'll find the ones you want, and of course the number of no use to you will grow as well. I have a few apps that I really hope will show up for WebOS if I end up making the switch.

3- Storage- My original iPhone was 8gb and I ended up only bringing along my highest rated music. This was nice because I always heard songs I liked, but was limiting in that I never got to hear the less played songs in my collection ( currently at around 19gb). The cloud offers no fix for this problem because of the battery drain and connectivity requirements. I hope that future WebOS devices either offer greater built in storage or an SD slot.

4- accessories- I currently use a logitech speaker system at work designed specifically for iPod/iPhones and have not seen anything similar yet for the Pre. I think that locating the USB port on the side will require a Touchstone type speaker dock making use of Bluetooth. This sounds cool and would be impressive to look at but would be expensive. Also since Touchstone isn't standard, I wonder how many device makers will risk making such a product if it's going to be expensive and available to only a limited number of Pre owners.

5- Pre reliability- I've read about the issues people have had with dead pixels, loose sliders, and cracked screens. I think that some of this is exaggerated by the fact that most people don't participate in phone forums. However the reports of multiple returns by so many different people and the fact that almost every Pre I've seen in a store has had the heat blotches had me worried. Perhaps the biggest reason I chose not to buy the Pre at this time was the plastic screen and the quality of the slider mechanism. If they go to a glass screen like the iPhone and a slider like a Nokia N series I'd be much more likely to buy.

Now the reasons I'm still checking out these forums:

1- WebOS- the card metaphor for multitasking is awesome. Opening apps is slow but the idea is what matters here because I believe the speed will continually improve. Also the notification system is great! The popups on the iPhone are infuriating. I was hoping that with 3.0 Apple would implement multiple notifications in an Exposť style screen but so far no such luck.

2- removable battery- I have had no terrible issues with the battery life of the iPhone but having a removable battery along with robust hardware would be great. I don't think Apple will ever go that route and I hope that Palm sticks around long enough to really nail the hardware.

3- sprint coverage- Sprint has never let me down while AT&T's 3G coverage isn't great in many areas. Sprint CS is the worst I've ever dealt with though, and continues to be bad with my account through work.

I'll end this mostly useless first post with a thank you to those active here who have helped inform those of us yet to take the plunge. To those who attack everyone and constantly call everyone trolls, just stop responding please. This type of posting has ruined sites like Engadget for me. Going forward I hope to see Palm add a virtual keyboard (I love the Iphone's keyboard), get the SDK out, and put out some more robust hardware.
    Great post LD. I had an iPhone 2G since almost day one, so I can understand the contrast . It is a little late right now, yet I'll let you know about my thoughts on some of the subtleties the Pre and WebOS tomorrow.
    hmm...
    -.-
    stupid rule...
    to not allow ppl to post links before having made 10 posts
    guess it protects us against ad-spammers
    but...
    it actually encourages spammers like me
    to write 10 posts
    so that he can post a link
    but I guess that's not the actual idea
    pls guys...
    the pre is not only intended for the same purposes as the iphone
    you should not compare them, or call the palm pre an "iphone-killer"
    it is not just another fancy i-net/multimedia phone
    remember cloud computing (through multitasking, synergy and natural interface and apps)
    maybe this article helps:
    Palm Unveils webOS Mobile Platform and Pre Phone | Cloud Computing Journal
    or this review, especially the second part:
    Electronista | Review: Palm Part I: Palm Pre
    it's a redefinition of "smartphones," making it actually less of a traditional smartphone (i-net/multimedia) and more of an ubiquitous computing device
    a device which guides you throughout your day and to which you stick to as a companion for taking decisions and performing tasks, but in a much more symbiotic and efficient way a traditional smartphone does
    remember how palm invented a new devicewhich changed the concept and future of mobile
    computing, thus allowing the later birth of smartphones and even net-books, when it introduced the palm pilot?
    they do it again now with the palm pre
    Quote Originally Posted by maepbm View Post
    pls guys...
    the pre is not only intended for the same purposes as the iphone
    you should not compare them, or call the palm pre an "iphone-killer"
    it is not just another fancy i-net/multimedia phone
    remember cloud computing (through multitasking, synergy and natural interface and apps)
    maybe this article helps:
    Palm Unveils webOS Mobile Platform and Pre Phone | Cloud Computing Journal
    or this review, especially the second part:
    Electronista | Review: Palm Part I: Palm Pre
    it's a redefinition of "smartphones," making it actually less of a traditional smartphone (i-net/multimedia) and more of an ubiquitous computing device
    a device which guides you throughout your day and to which you stick to as a companion for taking decisions and performing tasks, but in a much more symbiotic and efficient way a traditional smartphone does
    remember how palm invented a new devicewhich changed the concept and future of mobile
    computing, thus allowing the later birth of smartphones and even net-books, when it introduced the palm pilot?
    they do it again now with the palm pre
    Ha-ha! Did your masters at Palm Inc. send you over here to regurgitate some Pre literature? Nice of you to spam up the thread just so you could wedge in a link that's been re-re-re-posted here ad nauseum and a yet-another-Pre-review link to go with it.

Run back to your masters at Palm and tell them you failed to add anything to the forum.
    God, you Pre fanboys are becoming worse than the iPhone ones. Those of you criticizing him for posting here, READ the title of this forum. "Cross Platform Chat" This sort of post is exactly what this forum is for. Grow up and get a life outside your phone. If someone choosing a different phone threatens your manhood this badly, you need psychological help.

Like it or not, at this point in the product life cycles the iPhone is a far more mature, and in many respects higher quality and more capable device. And before you call me an apple fanboy, I don't own an iPhone or a Pre. Right now, both are inferior, for what I need, to my "antique" Treo 755p. There's still nothing on either platform that compares with Datebk6 (or even Datebk4, for that matter). And nothing on the Pre that compares to TakePhone. I haven't looked at TakePhone on the iPhone, so can't compare it.

I hope the more open nature of the Pre begets the kind of software support that the Palm OS platform had, but right now it's a toy, and I need a tool. Compared to the capabilities of the P-OS line, it's a Fisher-Price plastic hammer to the Treo's Snap-On mechanic's tool set.

And no matter how many insults you hurl, you can't change the fact the Pre's applications are limited, at best.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Originally posted by meyerweb:
    God, you Pre fanboys are becoming worse than the iPhone ones. Those of you criticizing him for posting here, READ the title of this forum. "Cross Platform Chat" This sort of post is exactly what this forum is for. Grow up and get a life outside your phone. If someone choosing a different phone threatens your manhood this badly, you need psychological help. . .
    Being a girl, my manhood isn't threatened. I agree with you that there is no reason to bash the guy, but there also isn't a reason for the guy to post his choice on this forum and tell us why he thinks his product is superior.

I didn't buy my Pre and then go on the Apple forum to try to convince people of why I made the right choice. Nor do I buy a Maytag and then tell Whirlpool enthusiast why Maytag is better. All though if you're interested it's because I believe the commercial that say's he's the loneliest repair person in the world.

Why tell us? Tell Palm so that they can fix whatever you think is wrong, but leave us out of it. To view posts on this forum as proof of one product over another is ridiculous. To view sales as proof of superiority is also ridiculous.

It's okay to make a choice that is right for you, but to come to a forum that has made a different choice reeks of baiting, needing validation, or pleading of did I make the right choice. For validation- go to your buddy; for baiting- evidently he chose the right crowd; for did I make the right choice- we wouldn't know we aren't him and most of us don't have an iPhone.
    If it's in Cross Platform or Other Handhelds, why DOESN'T he have a right to "post his choice on this forum and tell us why he thinks his product is superior"?

Even before the Pre came out and it was only Treos, people were posting about how other devices met their needs better. Sometimes they got bashed too, because Palm fanpeople can't bear to hear that Palm isn't perfect for everyone.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    So you bought the iPhone because some chick told you to. That's weak man, weak..
    Sexist much? So females cannot make recommendations?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    This is ridiculous. As it has been said already, this is a "cross-platform chat". The whole purpose of this forum area is to talk about, discuss, even argue why one phone has been chosen over another. I have had an Iphone 2G since almost day one and was very excited when the Pre came out because it was an opportunity for not only myself, but for everybody to get a little taste of what the competition could offer us as consumers. I quickly took Sprint up on their 30-day money back offer and jumped on the Pre without haste.

But now that I have had the Pre for about three weeks... Im pretty sure that I will be taking it back to Sprint in the next few days. I know that there are certain dangers when jumping on board with new technology but some of the crap Ive experianced with the Pre has been worse than I ever had to deal with on the Iphone. And a lot of it has more to do with Sprint's service than Palm's phone hardware but as of this moment if I want the Pre i have to deal with Sprint and all of the dropped calls and dead zones that come with them.

It was fun, my love affair with the Pre, over these last few weeks... But sadly, I realized that my Pre cannot (at least at the moment) offer me the stability and maturity that my Iphone can. Maybe one day when the Pre matures a little bit I'll finally be able to safely leave my Iphone behind. Until then, I'll be running back to ATT and Im going to apologize for the damage Ive done to our relationship.
    In order to be a smartphone, it has to have 3rd party apps. Right now, Palm isn't there with them. No games whatsoever unless you choose classic. Pandora & a tweeter app is all i got. Not that i'm a gamer by any means, but i need the casuals. I also need productivity apps.

Wait til end of summer? End of year? Not at this data plan. Can't do that. Not when others such as the iphone offer much more right now with much more polished native features.

But yet, i very much like the Pre's multitasking, notifications, webOS, small form factor, touchstone charging, etc. It's just that the features that you do multitask are so unpolished. I want to buy into it, but it'll probably be next summer.

In order to do that, Palm needs to seriously rethink its hardware. Leave no debate in my mind palm. Next summer, get 4G, OLED higher res screen, HD recording, better grade materials and leave it matte, change the usb, 32gb minimum, open to a bigger screen size but doesn't matter. Keep the slider..just continue to tweak it.

No excuses since Palm should be in a better cash position and available on all carriers. Economy should be on upswing then, charge accordingly and i'll buy. Apps should be adequate by then and perhaps some inroads with amazon for media will be made. Flash should be a standard by then as well.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast