Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Its funny. Anytime anyone posts anything that is even remotely anti-pre, everyone jumps to arms and is ready to pick a fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by allthewayhome View Post
    He wrote a lot more than that.
    Quote it.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    snoooooore - delete
    People if we didn't respond to posts like this, this crap would go away.

Everyone has their own needs. Being a CURRENT iPhone user and a current Pre user, there is no question but iPhone is a million person phone, just like a Razor is a million person phone.

Pre is progresive and cutting edge, with cutting edge sometimes you bleed. I love my Pre and would not trade it for a free iphone 3gs. No question.

I think people need to convince themselves, and that is why they come here to try and feel better.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    If the guy is really trolling, I can think of no better response then making several posts informing him that he's a troll and and as a result bumping his thread. Well played.
    As someone who has been waiting since January phoneless to get the pre once it comes out in canada, and as someone who dislikes apple, I have to say, the op isn't being treated fairly.

I don't think he's "trolling" at all, i think his post was fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thudstaff View Post
    I have a GPS in my van, and Google Maps does that also on the phone.
    GM does it with voice prompts so you can keep your eye on the road, constantly updating mileage between turns, locations of POI along the way, and rerouting for when you get lost? Reaaaally?

I'm glad you have a GPS. I never bought one or paid for it as a factory option, and now with these Sprint plans and the Pre, I never have to.

Pandora works well enough for me, plus I can haul out quite a bit of my music collection with the included 32gb storage.
    With what you pay in extra charges (because the discounts are equal or Sprint corporate ones are greater, it's an extra $240 a year), I can buy a 120GB iPod classic. Then the next year, I can buy a Wii. And then the next year, I can buy...

FULL upgrades every 12 months? This must be new. Sprint's upgrade used to be two-tiered. That's cool though. Sprint's early termination is $200; AT&T's is $175 minus $5 for each month you're into your contract.
    $69.99 a month is automatic enrollment into the Premier program. Free yearly full upgrades, no questions asked. I understand AT&T has had...some issues on that front.
    This man speaks truth, just by an ipod touch or something and get all the same apps without the crap AT&T service, just my 2 cents
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Quote it.
    Alright, you're right. i just re-read it, and other than "I will say though that all the stuff I've read here about apparent quality control issues played a big part on my getting the iPhone instead of the Pre." he really didn't say much. A lot of talk about his personal random experiences and not much more. But just to be fair, and maybe i'm wrong again, but that's just how some people write. lol.
    Haha dude the pre owns
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    GM does it with voice prompts so you can keep your eye on the road, constantly updating mileage between turns, locations of POI along the way, and rerouting for when you get lost? Reaaaally?..
    Just had to chime in on this one response. If you've ever used an in car navigation then you'd know that SprintNAV is an 8Track compared to DVD-Audio in-car navigations provide. Honda by far probably has some of the best in-car nav (Alpine units) that incorporate traffic, weather, phone lookups, direct in-car dialing, radio/phone muting, much larger screens and incorporation of car geometry (tire rotation when GPS not avail, etc..) to name a few.

Really is no argument between the two, but the SprintNAV is a good thing to have if you have no GPS in your car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Septro View Post
    Just had to chime in on this one response. If you've ever used an in car navigation then you'd know that SprintNAV is an 8Track compared to DVD-Audio in-car navigations provide. Honda by far probably has some of the best in-car nav (Alpine units) that incorporate traffic, weather, phone lookups, direct in-car dialing, radio/phone muting, much larger screens and incorporation of car geometry (tire rotation when GPS not avail, etc..) to name a few.

Really is no argument between the two, but the SprintNAV is a good thing to have if you have no GPS in your car.
    As I said, I have never bought one and will never have to. SprintNav does incorporate phone lookups, traffic, and direct in-car dialing already, tho. The screen size is irrelevant to me because I'm trying to keep my eyes on the road, hence the voice prompts.
    Seriously some of you need to stop equating your Pre and the decision to buy one to the size of your wee wee.
    As I said, I have never bought one and will never have to. SprintNav does incorporate phone lookups, traffic, and direct in-car dialing already, tho. The screen size is irrelevant to me because I'm trying to keep my eyes on the road, hence the voice prompts.
    I have not used the GPS extensively on the Pre yet but I've used it on other Sprint devices. While it works in a pinch it does not compare to a dedicated GPS unit for your car. On my old sprint phone it was constantly giving me horrible routes to take when I'd just be testing it out. (like I already knew the way but was testing the GPS) Also on SEVERAL occasions the sprint navigation would tell me my destination was on my right when it would actually be on my left. My Garmin always seems to find the best routes and never tells me my destination is on the wrong side of the road. My only problem with the Garmin is it doesn't MULTITASK!!!! lol
    This is my first post here but I've been actively browsing the site for some time. I will start with the fact that I'm an iPhone owner (started with the original and now chose to go with the 3Gs over the Pre). I was a Sprint customer for around 6 years prior to owning the iPhone.

I work for a company that operates all over the country and I believe I may get moved to a location that doesn't have AT&T coverage within a year. That is why I started coming to this site and the reason I was considering the Pre. It's also the reason I'll keep checking out the site. I'll give my reasons for choosing the iPhone over the Pre below. Also, I'm not and never will be, a troll.

1- build quality- I have had the original iPhone for 2 years and the phone can really take a beating. However, I will mention that my phone displayed a screen blotch exactly like the ones that Pre owners are seeing. Mine showed up when the phone got hot, directly over the headphone jack. Thankfully it was nowhere near as large as those seen on Pres, but troubling none the less. The glass screen is awesome though and in 2 years I never used a case and never had to worry. The original aluminum was great, and I'm not as pleased with the new plastic back, which is very similar to the Pre.

2- Applications- I know everyone says that most of the 50000 applications are useless but that's misleading. The more available apps, the greater the chance you'll find the ones you want, and of course the number of no use to you will grow as well. I have a few apps that I really hope will show up for WebOS if I end up making the switch.

3- Storage- My original iPhone was 8gb and I ended up only bringing along my highest rated music. This was nice because I always heard songs I liked, but was limiting in that I never got to hear the less played songs in my collection ( currently at around 19gb). The cloud offers no fix for this problem because of the battery drain and connectivity requirements. I hope that future WebOS devices either offer greater built in storage or an SD slot.

4- accessories- I currently use a logitech speaker system at work designed specifically for iPod/iPhones and have not seen anything similar yet for the Pre. I think that locating the USB port on the side will require a Touchstone type speaker dock making use of Bluetooth. This sounds cool and would be impressive to look at but would be expensive. Also since Touchstone isn't standard, I wonder how many device makers will risk making such a product if it's going to be expensive and available to only a limited number of Pre owners.

5- Pre reliability- I've read about the issues people have had with dead pixels, loose sliders, and cracked screens. I think that some of this is exaggerated by the fact that most people don't participate in phone forums. However the reports of multiple returns by so many different people and the fact that almost every Pre I've seen in a store has had the heat blotches had me worried. Perhaps the biggest reason I chose not to buy the Pre at this time was the plastic screen and the quality of the slider mechanism. If they go to a glass screen like the iPhone and a slider like a Nokia N series I'd be much more likely to buy.

Now the reasons I'm still checking out these forums:

1- WebOS- the card metaphor for multitasking is awesome. Opening apps is slow but the idea is what matters here because I believe the speed will continually improve. Also the notification system is great! The popups on the iPhone are infuriating. I was hoping that with 3.0 Apple would implement multiple notifications in an Exposť style screen but so far no such luck.

2- removable battery- I have had no terrible issues with the battery life of the iPhone but having a removable battery along with robust hardware would be great. I don't think Apple will ever go that route and I hope that Palm sticks around long enough to really nail the hardware.

3- sprint coverage- Sprint has never let me down while AT&T's 3G coverage isn't great in many areas. Sprint CS is the worst I've ever dealt with though, and continues to be bad with my account through work.

I'll end this mostly useless first post with a thank you to those active here who have helped inform those of us yet to take the plunge. To those who attack everyone and constantly call everyone trolls, just stop responding please. This type of posting has ruined sites like Engadget for me. Going forward I hope to see Palm add a virtual keyboard (I love the Iphone's keyboard), get the SDK out, and put out some more robust hardware.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Remedy1978 View Post
    Its funny. Anytime anyone posts anything that is even remotely anti-pre, everyone jumps to arms and is ready to pick a fight.
    He's just not saying anything that hasn't been said 20 times already.
    Quote Originally Posted by punchx View Post

That statement could be posted in almost every thread for the past 20 pages and be true.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    I'm surprised at all the complaints about Sprints customer service. My local store has been nothing but great! I'm going to guess that each store within each different mobile provider is good and bad. You only need a high school diploma to work at those stores and as I always say; when you pay peanuts, you attract monkeys. LOL no disrespect to the ones that actually care about their job as apposed to the lame ones trudging through it...
    EVERYONE needs to CHILL. alright? jesus the community here is starting to sound like fanboys now and it is extremely annoying. the guy was NOT dissing the pre he was just saying he was going to see what he liked the more and happened to get the iphone. BIG ****ing deal... jesus H. Christ...
    Quote Originally Posted by punchx View Post
    If the criteria to post is to have read every single post and to then make sure you don't share anyone's opinion, you'd be left with a fairly small community and very few posts. Why not ignore the ones you'd rather not see, and definitely don't get all the way through page 3.

That being said I forgot to mention that some of the smaller details are some of the most important ones about a platform. Examples in iPhone OS 3 would be "open link in new page" in the browser, the fact that multiple browser windows stay in RAM, the ability to copy & paste just about everywhere (EXCEPT individual words in an SMS which is infuriating), etc. Unfortunately there is no easy way to live with a platform long enough to discover the little bright spots and annoyances. Can anyone share any of the small details about WebOS that matter to them the most?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast