Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    iPhone 3Gs sales officially topped 1-million units this weekend. Does this drive the last nail in Palm's coffin?

We all know that most folk don't use two smart phones simultaneously. So what happened this weekend just took a million potential Pre buyers off the market. Considering the Pre only got 50,000 takers it's first weekend out, what does this signal?

Personally, I think Palm's marketing lacked greatly. They should'da, could'da and would'da grabbed a much bigger market share had they hyped this device up the right way.

I don't know who here even remembers the Infiniti television ads of the mid 90's done as pre-release teasers. The commercials featured leaves blowing accross the ground in some Fall setting, stony brooks, and other miscellaneous nature scenery. But not so much as the tail light of a single car was ever shown. The buzz generated by these spots (or the complete lack thereof) was widely criticized for the lackluster introduction of Nissan's luxury brand in the U.S. and the poorer than expected sales that has followed ever since - helped out only recently by the G series coupes and sedans.

But don't feel bad if you had never seen them or known of this lesson on the pitfalls of circumlocutory, meandering advertising...The folks at Palm obviously didn't either.

That said, I do hope the Pre lives to see a Pre II. I'd like to get my hands on one.
    Come on, dude. This is ridiculous. There aren't exactly a whole lot of spare Pres sitting on shelves not being bought. Palm has sold as many as they could make. Their marketing was exactly right for their supply. I would expect more ads as production ramps up. Web ads from Sprint have been in high gear ever since launch.

iPhone sales are irrelevant. Everyone knew they would sell a ton of them. There are no nails, and there is no coffin.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Part of the reason we didn't see more Palm/Sprint advertising for the Pre is that they knew the supply would be very limited for quite some time.

Plus it's really hard to compare any product launch to Apple product launches. As much as I dislike Apple they've done a wonderful job of brainwashing a certain percentage of the population into buying everything they make. It's really quite impressive.
    Last edited by tkam; 06/22/2009 at 09:24 AM.
    Bigger company, more cash for production, better distribution, better known product and brand. What did you expect. There is room for at least 4 players in this market. Software-wise, Palm will be one of those players.
    also let not forget that the iphone was released world wide, not just in north america like the palm pre. So in that sense i would expect them to do better, especailly when you add the supply constraints.

I still cannot even find a pre to buy. one local sprint store has a waiting list of 44 people. So in comparison, i think palm is doing ....lets just say the best they can at the moment.
    Right- for Palm this is about sales- not beating the iPhone.

The Pre is clearly selling.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    It is a lot easier to sell garbage and label it as trendy. I mean really look at their computers, they are over priced POS's that can't be upgraded. Their "green" laptop was recently given a big thumbs down by many enviromental groups who blasted them for saying they pretty much lied about it being the greenest laptop on the planet, the Iphone while it is nice is very idiotproof which is cool for most people I guess. Hell I had one Apple fan boy tell me he didn't like the Pre because it didn't "look cool". Those people are all about status symbols man. That's all it is. Style>Quality for them.

Quote Originally Posted by tkam View Post
    Part of the reason we didn't see more Palm/Sprint advertising for the Pre is that they new the supply would be very limited for quite some time.

Plus it's really hard to compare any product launch to Apple product launches. As much as I dislike Apple they've done a wonderful job of brainwashing a certain percentage of the population into buying everything they make. It's really quite impressive.
    What good is a man if he can not change the world?
    Kingdom of Heaven
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Those 1 million plus sales are ONLY the new iPhone 3GS models and does not include the totals yet for the 3G model whose price was reduced to $99. Furthermore, Apple is getting lots of new people who did not previously use AT&T. The data on the Pre, though, suggests that the vast majority were existing Sprint users upgrading. This is not good for Sprint. Furthermore, $99 iPhone 3G, even if it is last year's model, will pull the rugs out from under a significant part of the market that might have gone to the Pre. Things do not look good for Palm.
    The marketing was lackluster, but the point of marketing the phone to SELL more phones would be lost if you marketed the phone but lacked the phones to sell anyways. From what i hear a lot of stores are still either sold out or have long waiting list. In this case, it appears that the constraint on Pres sold has not been based on the fact that there were not enough people wanting to buy the phone, so much as there not being enough phones to go around. When the bottleneck is on the supply side, marketing is pointless.

Personally, I have always thought that the Iphone would eventually go the way of the razr. I'm not trying to say that the phone will become useless - far from it as the Iphone is very versatile and actually backs up it's "cool factor" with real world practicality. However, the fact that the basic 3g has been reduced down to $99 means that you're going to be spotting the phone much more than before. And, as always happens, that shiny new toy isn't so shiny anymore once billy joe and jane has one too. Palm will be fine, there is no "nail" in the coffin that has doomed the company because of this news. Pre sales compared to the iphone may not seem very spectacular, but then again what phone can ? Put in perspective, the pre sold a record amount for the company. This is good news. They may be competitors, but they are not mutually exclusive. The success of one does not necessitate the doom of the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by hbg View Post
    Those 1 million plus sales are ONLY the new iPhone 3GS models and does not include the totals yet for the 3G model whose price was reduced to $99. Furthermore, Apple is getting lots of new people who did not previously use AT&T. The data on the Pre, though, suggests that the vast majority were existing Sprint users upgrading. This is not good for Sprint. Furthermore, $99 iPhone 3G, even if it is last year's model, will pull the rugs out from under a significant part of the market that might have gone to the Pre. Things do not look good for Palm.
    proof?
    Quote Originally Posted by Renderhaus View Post
    iPhone 3Gs sales officially topped 1-million units this weekend. Does this drive the last nail in Palm's coffin?

900,000 upgrades
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by leftyman View Post
    proof?
    I had I-phone 3gs to sell as of yesterday at the ATT Call Center....
    The smartphone market is huge. There is plenty of room for both Palm and Apple and others.

Apples numbers are indeed incredible. They sold more iPhones in 1 weekend then Palm will probably sell all year. I checked the sprint store in the mall near my house this weekend. They still have a list of about 30 waiting for the Pre. I wonder though, if Palm lost any potential sales of people on waiting lists this weekend?
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    900,000 upgrades
    THIS.

I could not believe the number of folks I knew who already had an iPhone 3G that went--and waited--for a 3GS when it came out. I wouldn't be surprised if...say..more than HALF of those purchased were by people who already owned an iPhone of some variety.

You do have to hand it to Apple...they've got crack marketing folks, and it makes their fans rabid for their products, sometimes to the point where they'll irrationally spend hundreds of dollars for relatively minor upgrades to their products
    Loving the Pre...
    Follow me on Twitter
    I thiught the +mill was spanning 8 countries? If that's true... That's about 125 thousand just in the us... That's little over half of what was sold for pre. And with the development growing for pre, I highly dought palm is going anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    I had I-phone 3gs to sell as of yesterday at the ATT Call Center....
    I wanted proof as to new costumers and not upgrades.

"Furthermore, Apple is getting lots of new people who did not previously use AT&T"
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    I'll start off by saying I'm no fanboy. I couldn't care less about Apple. As a consumer I will go with wherever I can get the best deal and that's currently with Sprint. That being said, I'm no Sprint fanboy either. Anyway...

According to reports Apple moved 1 million units of the 3Gs over their first weekend of release. I understand that Apple has a proven product under it's belt with the iPhone and most likely a better, more well-defined manufacturing process. However, Sprint and Palm were engaged in what is considered to be their biggest launch in both company's history and all they could muster was the manufacture of 100K units? Now they are waiting for the next shipment.

Does this sound odd to anyone else but me? All that time they had before the initial launch and 100K units was all they could build? Considering Apple just released the 3G last year sometime they had far less time to get 1 million units of the 3Gs ready than Sprint/Palm had to get their initial launch ready.

I want to see Sprint/Palm succeed as much as anybody else because it would be good for the industry. However, it seems they have a ways to go before they can truly hope to compete.
    no I think I read a article that 300 thousand where sold in US
    Who not to say that the majority of 3GS's sold were to 2G's just wanting to upgrade. I seriously doubt if that many 3G's upgraded...and Let be hoesnt most of the people that wanted an Iphone have one already...new subs people wont be knocking down Apples door again until either Apple releases new redefined hardware or until the iphone is on another carrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by leftyman View Post
    I wanted proof as to new costumers and not upgrades.

"Furthermore, Apple is getting lots of new people who did not previously use AT&T"
    shlt I"m a Pre owner and every day there are no apps I'm seriously considering a iphone 3GS especially since I have to have it replaced again, this is going to be my 3rd and last one, if it has to come to a 4th one it will be an iphone
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast