Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 61
  1. Adjei's Avatar
    Posts
    277 Posts
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    900,000 upgrades
    Source?
  2. Adjei's Avatar
    Posts
    277 Posts
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovdafied View Post
    I thiught the +mill was spanning 8 countries? If that's true... That's about 125 thousand just in the us... That's little over half of what was sold for pre. And with the development growing for pre, I highly dought palm is going anywhere.
    You know the AT&T pre-orders alone outsold the Pre. That's not accounting pre orders for Apple or the phones bought when they started selling in stores.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    900,000 upgrades
    My point exactly. $99 Iphone 3g helps ATT not lose customers to the Pre, but it is not expanding their subscriber base. The 3G S sales are greatly enhanced by existing customer upgrades as well.

    That being said, Apple bashing is not a really competant way of talking up the Pre.
  4. Adjei's Avatar
    Posts
    277 Posts
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
    Who not to say that the majority of 3GS's sold were to 2G's just wanting to upgrade. I seriously doubt if that many 3G's upgraded...and Let be hoesnt most of the people that wanted an Iphone have one already...new subs people wont be knocking down Apples door again until either Apple releases new redefined hardware or until the iphone is on another carrier.
    Yeah I'm sure all those 3g owners decided to pay 600 dollars to get the 3gs.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    Yeah I'm sure all those 3g owners decided to pay 600 dollars to get the 3gs.
    I paid $542.00 with tax.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    Yeah I'm sure all those 3g owners decided to pay 600 dollars to get the 3gs.
    I know plenty who have done so.
    What good is a man if he can not change the world?
    Kingdom of Heaven
  7. Adjei's Avatar
    Posts
    277 Posts
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by homerlanza View Post
    I know plenty who have done so.
    So because you gave an anecdote, it means it holds true?
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    ...Their marketing was exactly right for their supply. I would expect more ads as production ramps up. Web ads from Sprint have been in high gear ever since launch.... There are no nails, and there is no coffin.
    I'd be inclined to agree. Only time will tell.

    But again I must draw a parallel to the auto industry. For the past 5 years or so the overall quality of GM and Ford products has come very close to, and in some cases even matched that of the Japanese imports. But no one outside of Detroit knows this because of two things: public perception and lack of effective advertising that demonstrates the closing of the quality gap. Just about everyone outside of the Motor City still thinks that Domestic = Garbage. Tell me that's not true.

    I just don't want Palm to make the same mistake in it's bid to gain more sales by waltzing along with these nonchalant, blaze fare ads and think that everyone is going to come beating down their door. Web ad's are nice. But they need some huge TV commercial spots to pull the masses.

    Let's just hope that they've got some serious advertising muscle in store for when they finally do get their inventory ready for the gold rush.
    Last edited by Renderhaus; 06/22/2009 at 10:01 AM.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    So because you gave an anecdote, it means it holds true?
    Nope you were being sarcastic, so I figured I would give you some real life info based on what I saw. You made it sound like no one was upgrading so I told you I know plenty who did.
    What good is a man if he can not change the world?
    Kingdom of Heaven
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by blaidan View Post
    I'll start off by saying I'm no fanboy. I couldn't care less about Apple. As a consumer I will go with wherever I can get the best deal and that's currently with Sprint. That being said, I'm no Sprint fanboy either. Anyway...

    According to reports Apple moved 1 million units of the 3Gs over their first weekend of release. I understand that Apple has a proven product under it's belt with the iPhone and most likely a better, more well-defined manufacturing process. However, Sprint and Palm were engaged in what is considered to be their biggest launch in both company's history and all they could muster was the manufacture of 100K units? Now they are waiting for the next shipment.

    Does this sound odd to anyone else but me? All that time they had before the initial launch and 100K units was all they could build? Considering Apple just released the 3G last year sometime they had far less time to get 1 million units of the 3Gs ready than Sprint/Palm had to get their initial launch ready.

    I want to see Sprint/Palm succeed as much as anybody else because it would be good for the industry. However, it seems they have a ways to go before they can truly hope to compete.
    Don't worry one bit. Palm is absolutely going to thrive over the long term. At the moment they were caught inbetween a rock and a hard place. Their financial situation meant they couldn't produce as many phones as they would have liked for the launch. Thats why there's shortages. Now that every single Pre that they HAVE produced has sold they can go ahead and order more. Over time the situation will improve and for the launch of next year's Pre things will DEFINITELY be better. There's only one product on the market that compares to Palm's webOS and not everyone wants it (The iPhone). That leaves plenty of room for Palm to snatch up customers.

    The market is Apple's and Palm's for the taking. Like two fat old mafia bosses carving up a city between themselves.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    shlt I"m a Pre owner and every day there are no apps I'm seriously considering a iphone 3GS especially since I have to have it replaced again, this is going to be my 3rd and last one, if it has to come to a 4th one it will be an iphone
    enjoy your new rate plan.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucidlore View Post
    The marketing was lackluster, but the point of marketing the phone to SELL more phones would be lost if you marketed the phone but lacked the phones to sell anyways. From what i hear a lot of stores are still either sold out or have long waiting list. In this case, it appears that the constraint on Pres sold has not been based on the fact that there were not enough people wanting to buy the phone, so much as there not being enough phones to go around. When the bottleneck is on the supply side, marketing is pointless.

    Personally, I have always thought that the Iphone would eventually go the way of the razr. I'm not trying to say that the phone will become useless - far from it as the Iphone is very versatile and actually backs up it's "cool factor" with real world practicality. However, the fact that the basic 3g has been reduced down to $99 means that you're going to be spotting the phone much more than before. And, as always happens, that shiny new toy isn't so shiny anymore once billy joe and jane has one too. Palm will be fine, there is no "nail" in the coffin that has doomed the company because of this news. Pre sales compared to the iphone may not seem very spectacular, but then again what phone can ? Put in perspective, the pre sold a record amount for the company. This is good news. They may be competitors, but they are not mutually exclusive. The success of one does not necessitate the doom of the other.
    Apple has long planned to bring the price point of the iPhone down to the sub $100 market. They're just doing the same thing with the iPhone product line that they've done with the iPod line. I fully expect someday to see $50-79 iPhones someday. The only difference is you can't really make a smartphone much smaller than the iPhone really is so instead of smaller sizes, they just use older hardware at that price point.

    As for your analogy to the RAZR, it doesn't really work when you consider the RAZR was just a dumbphone that only made phone calls. The iPhone does a whole lot more. There's really no comparison. The competition is so focused on the high end iPhone 3G S (which sold 1 million in 3 days) but I'm certain that Apple will sell far more $99 iPhone 8GBs when all is said and done. Thats going to put extreme pressure on the profitability or even survival of competing smartphone platforms.
  13. Adjei's Avatar
    Posts
    277 Posts
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    #33  
    Anyways according to this analyst, 56 percent of the sales came from upgrades from 3g owners and 1st generation owners, not bad.
  14. #34  
    wow is it that easy to write stuff on an iphone? i HAVE to have a physical keyboard on my phone
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by leftyman View Post
    enjoy your new rate plan.
    First I didn't say I'm buying one yet, but if I do its better then having to replace my phone every week. I said I will exchange the Pre I have one more time if I still have problems its the end of the road for the Pre.
  16. mosdl's Avatar
    Posts
    781 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #36  
    Just tell the apple fanboys that according to their logic, apple should quite making macs since windows has over 90% of the market
  17. #37  
    Apple Sells Over One Million iPhone 3GS Models

    You can trick some of the people everytime.
  18. #38  
    1 million iphones sold is not anything big since it was released on multiple carriers. If the pre was released world wide it would prolly have sold 1 million already too.
  19. Adjei's Avatar
    Posts
    277 Posts
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Young HoV 718 View Post
    1 million iphones sold is not anything big since it was released on multiple carriers. If the pre was released world wide it would prolly have sold 1 million already too.
    I doubt that, since the iphone outsold the Pre in the US based on pre orders alone from AT&T and that's not even accounting those who went to the stores and bought or pre orders from Apple.
  20. #40  
    Really...iSheep.

    I thoroughly enjoy my Pre but I can fully admit that the iPhone is a wonderful product as well.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions