Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  

What I like about this is that both phones had 5 bars over 3G. This is basically what he shows off or mentions. It's not the most thorough comparison but it's decent.

iPhone 3G S advantages:
    Loading apps (That's a given due to Pre's Web Apps)
    Just barely faster in 1 out of 3 browser tests over 3G
    Scrolling webpages (No checker affect seen)
    Auto correction
    Landscape software keyboard
    Video recording
    Number of apps

Pre advantages:
    Accelerometer adjustments
    Multitasking (Of course )
    Physical slide out keyboard
    Includes turn-by-turn navigation

Both appear even:
    Web Browsers (Refreshing, Loading a new page over Wi-Fi)
    Speaker volume
    YouTube video quality over 3G
    Last edited by EeZeEpEe; 06/20/2009 at 05:25 PM.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Compass... hahahah love that... i would rather have turn by turn navigation...
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    The iPhone 3GS does support turn by turn directions. I do notice the checkered pattern sometimes on my iPhone 3GS. And are all of the Pre apps web apps?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by twigg View Post
    The iPhone 3GS does support turn by turn directions.
    Not built in though. It will be by TomTom and there's no price yet.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Hopefully Palm can make some tweaks to the browser to limit the checker effect and improve speed. I don't think it is very well optimized right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bebo77 View Post
    Compass... hahahah love that... i would rather have turn by turn navigation...
    An internal compass is very useful for turn-by-turn navigation software when it is supporting "walking" or "pedestrian" mode. In a car, the turn-by-turn navigation software can assume what direction you are facing - it's usually the direction that you were just traveling - but when you are walking around a city and standing still, perhaps spinning around looking which way to go, the compass helps the software point you in the right direction.

It's also why they put a compass in the G-1. Frankly, I was surprised that they left it out of the Pre.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I live in Los Angeles... We don't walk here.
    LOL, no... there is a Pre App store too... just kinda scarce in apps right now.

Quote Originally Posted by twigg View Post
    The iPhone 3GS does support turn by turn directions. I do notice the checkered pattern sometimes on my iPhone 3GS. And are all of the Pre apps web apps?
    Some apps are web-based, while others are more traditional
    Is it me or did the video quality look way better on the Pre compared to the iPhone?
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I like how he had to shake the 3Gs to get it to return to "portrait" view.
    ˙soə ɹoɟ ƃuıʇıɐʍ ɹəllıʞ "ʇɔuıʇsuı" uɐ ʇuɐʍ ʇsnɾ ı ˙ɹəllıʞ "əuoɥdı" uɐ əq oʇ "ēɹd" ɹoɟ ƃuıʞool ʇou
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Is it me or did the video quality look way better on the Pre compared to the iPhone?
    Might seem that way because the screen has a higher pixel density than on the iPhone.

I'm curious to see how much the Tom Tom NAV application and custom iPhone 3G S windshield mount/charger will cost? Is it a one time app fee or will they want a monthly service charge for the system? It should be interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    Might seem that way because the screen has a higher pixel density than on the iPhone.
    If you noticed in the video, on the iPhone the video had a black screen around it and looked rather pixelated. On the Pre, it was fullscreen and actually looked bigger than on the iPhone, so the pixel density really shouldn't matter much since not every pixel the iPhone has was being used.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eltaco View Post
    I like how he had to shake the 3Gs to get it to return to "portrait" view.
    Even though I do feel at times to tap it like he did to switch back from one mode to another, Honestly I think they purposely put the delay in there and I happen to prefer it.

Dunno about you but I really dont like to view stuff in landscape... yes text is bigger but I rather have more info showing on screen than seeing maybe only 20% of the page at a time. And it's funny but at times for example when laying in bed and checking an IM through IM+ or checking a site, if I read on my side and the phone tilts enough it goes landscape and I need to tilt back and it's irritating.

I rather have the lag so that it's not that sensitive... otherwise I imagine you'll be turning that page back and forth because it's too sensitive. I wish iphone gave the option to lock the browser or other apps in one mode.

Pre advantages:

But Multitasking is so huge. It is like comparing a PC with Dos versus a PC with Windows IMHO.
    I think Apple will come up with multitasking... could be another year like it too push or video but eventually... I bet they'll limit it though to 2-3 at a time in the beginning.

I think in the past they've played with it but issues that werent acceptable. Maybe with new chips and talk of multicore processors coming up for phones, then they'll be able to do it.

It works for you guys right now and I like it... but I am wondering once your appstore starting really getting some quality apps and some really big apps like games like Tiger Woods Golf or MLB At Bat streaming live games... really wonder how they will multitask and really how many of these programs you can multitask with only 8GB of memory.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    depends on the media I suppose. I know the Pre has higher quality youtube streaming (using the full screen) the iPhone uses a smaller video with a higher compression ratio for worse quality but faster streaming (oddly still slower than the pre's youtube player)

What I like about this is that both phones had 5 bars over 3G.
    Actually, while the reviews does indeed say that both phones had 5 bars if you look closely it's not true. While the iPhone was steady at 5 bars the entire time, most of the time the Pre was only at 3 bars. Occasionally the Pre made it up to 4 bars but then it would go right back down to 3. I'm sure that if the Pre had had 5 bars like the iPhone, it would have been even faster.

What I like about this is that both phones had 5 bars over 3G. This is basically what he shows off or mentions. It's not the most thorough comparison but it's decent.

iPhone 3G S advantages:
    Loading apps (That's a given due to Pre's Web Apps)
    Just barely faster in 1 out of 3 browser tests over 3G
    Scrolling webpages (No checker affect seen)
    Auto correction
    Landscape software keyboard
    Video recording
    Number of apps

Pre advantages:
    Accelerometer adjustments
    Physical slide out keyboard
    Includes turn-by-turn navigation

Both appear even:
    Web Browsers (Refreshing, Loading a new page over Wi-Fi)
    Speaker volume
    Just barely faster in 1 out of 3 browser tests over 3G???

Doesn't that mean that pre loaded 2 out of 3 times faster? I would think that would make it a plus for the pre not the iphone?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast