Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I recently aquired the N760c rom in a zip file that has been floating around a lot of clie users. These brave souls figured out how to update their 710c to palm os4.1 (take that Sony for moving so slow)I waited first to see the results of attemps by others. After reading many succesful efforts, I decided to try.

The zip file contained application that would perform the rom transfer called FlashWrite, the rom backup files and the usb drivers to give your clie true usb support. I then followed most of the advice I read plus added an extra step of mine and crossed my fingers.

Holy cow!!! It worked. Just to prove it to myself, I ran McColors and was able to see a 16bit color palette just like I was able to on the 610 or the Prism. My 710 is now a 760. I also installed Palm Desktop 4.01 so now I can sync files directly to my memorystick (i.e. very large video clips)

I now call my Clie a 710+
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Where did you get it?
  3.    #3  
    I found a link in a post on the CLIE_Users_Group.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CLIE_Users_Group

but if you want I'll e-mail it to ya.
    -Mikedemo
    That would be great thanks.
  5.    #5  
    I got this set of instructions from someone who found this at Palm Boulevard. Its pretty much instructions on how to get the 760 Rom on your 710. Not I, Visorcentral or the author Ken is responsible if you screw up your device. so do it at your own risk.

This is another way to get it done.

Title: How to Do The Upgrade
    Posted By: Ken
    E-mail: none
    Date: 10/04/2001 at 16:14:57

Kudos to Rune and others for working out these details - I'm just summarizing to help others.
    Follow these steps:

0) FIRST - DO A FULL BACKUP! Also - I am just passing on this info - I accept NO responsibility for problems or issues with this procedure.

1) Get the rom760 .zip [in the files section of ClieUpdate Yahoo group] - it contains the FlashWrite program, the 760 rom backup files, and the USB drivers you will need to hotsync after your upgrade is completed. Send a message to "temptemp77@hotmail.com" and I'll send you the file.

2) Unzip the file. You now need to get the files onto your memory stick. I did this by using the file transfer function built into the audio player. Create a folder on the memory stick called something like "Flash" and copy all of the ROM files and the FlashWrite file to this folder on the memory stick.

3) Take a minute and MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALL OF THE FILES YOU NEED ON THE MEMORY STICK. Count the ROM files in sequence and make sure you haven't missed any.

4) Do a hard reset on your Clie - you DID do a backup, right? Hold down the Power button while hitting the reset pin. Let go of the power button and the Clie will ask you to hit the up button to erase all data. Do this.

5) Once your Clie is done resetting, go through the first time startup screens and get to the Launcher. Run MsGate and copy the contents of the "Flash" folder on your memory stick to the Clie.

6) Go back to the Launcher and run FlashWrite. It will present a series of dialogs - just progress through them. It will then say "Writing - 2 mins". DON'T TURN THE UNIT OFF OR DO ANYTHING UNTIL THIS IS DONE! The unit will reset once the write is complete.

7. You are now running OS 4.1! The first time you hotsync, just point the "new hardware" wizard to the PalmUSB files in the unzipped rom760 file. You can now do a much faster USB hotsync, and it work fine under Windows XP.
    -Mikedemo
  6.    #6  
    -Mikedemo
    I've had the ROM files and such since Thursday and I've been sitting on them because I haven't seen an adequate answer to the following question(s):

Would this procedure void my warranty? If so, can I go back to OS 3.5.2 in case I need to redeem my warranty? Ok, another question, isn't this copyright infringement or something?
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by Jupe
    I've had the ROM files and such since Thursday and I've been sitting on them because I haven't seen an adequate answer to the following question(s):

Would this procedure void my warranty? If so, can I go back to OS 3.5.2 in case I need to redeem my warranty? Ok, another question, isn't this copyright infringement or something?

1) I am certain this voids your warranty.

2) There is a way to go back. Look in the http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CLIE_Users_Group threads.

3) Oh yeah big time.
    -Mikedemo
    Ok I thought of some other questions:[list=1][*]I don't care about 16 bit color but I've heard that OS 4.1 is noticeably faster than 3.5.2. Is this true?[*]What about VFS - I use LauncherIII and MSMount so I can already run apps from the MS - what will OS 4.1's VFS do for me?[*]Is the JogDial support better in OS 4.1?[*]What are the other improvements?[/list=1]
    Mike
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by Jupe
    Ok I thought of some other questions:[list=1][*]I don't care about 16 bit color but I've heard that OS 4.1 is noticeably faster than 3.5.2. Is this true?[*]What about VFS - I use LauncherIII and MSMount so I can already run apps from the MS - what will OS 4.1's VFS do for me?[*]Is the JogDial support better in OS 4.1?[*]What are the other improvements?[/list=1]
    [list=1][*]I have found 4.1 a little faster
    [*]The Clie will behaive more like an M505 now. You can run applications from a memory stick without using Launcher or MSMount. Once I ugraded to OS4.1, I found a new folder created on my memorystick called "launcher" applications copied into that folder can be seen by the "Card" category. Hi-res assist doesn't recognize them so if they were made to run 160x160 and you enable hi-res assist, you may have compatibility issues.
    [*]Its only gonna get better when the applications support it. I am hoping for avantgo to allow jog dialing of links soon.
    [*]Since 4.0 and 4.1 have true support for USB you can tweak for faster hotsyncs. Go into SYSTEM; select PREFS; CONNECTION; select CABLE/CRADLE then edit; DETAILS; set SPEED to 115,200 bps. !!!Do this only with Clies that 4.0 and 4.1 (i.e. 320/610/710hybrid/760)!!![/list=1]

I am not gonna tell you to do this update. I took the risk and am happy to have done so. But I can honestly tell you it is not that huge an update. Palm better bring on the goods in OS 5.0 or Pocket PCs will rule the PDA world. But for now I am happy with my 710+.
    -Mikedemo
    Thanks mikedemo!
    Mike
    Since joining the Clie Users Group I have read many successful tales from people doing this upgrade. Truly brave people in my opinion.

Having just purchased the 760, I can say I love the VFS support. I have not even installed MSMount, or any other application. The one program that I really wanted on MemoryStick is VFS aware. It is much improved over running on my Prism/MemPlug combo.

I also like the JogDial, though I have no idea if it is improved over the 710.

I really cannot understand Sony's delay in releasing this update. Why go to all the trouble to create an awesome Palm Handheld, then leave users out in the cold?

I hope that you have continued success with your 710+, Mike. I know that you have been more than helpful to me.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
  13.    #13  
    Glad to be of help
    -Mikedemo
    WOW...

Thanks for the tip mike, I've been wanting OS 4.1 for some time, since I heard of the 710 capable of displaying 65k colours. The main reason was for Mac compatability, I've already wasted the $30 for the Mac Software, oh well, memory stick mounting is nice. I also wanted 65k colours for images, they are nice in 256, but I think they will be spectacular in 65k. What do pics look like in 65k? Anyone with a 610 or 760 can comment? Also, I hope the speed improvements are good...

Wish me luck, I'm going to do the upgrade, BTW, you can get the files at http://www.890.net as well as some other useful ahem *illegal* clie stuf.

I'll see you on the other side!
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
    It worked!!!

All I have to say for OS 4.1 is...niiiiice, its awesome, I love MSImport. I used to always have problems mounting the memory stick, now it works everytime. Also, the new OS is perty nice in general. Lot cleaner and more memory in RAM. All 710 users should do this upgrade!

I'm still trying to get hotsyncing to my mac to work...argh...I had the Missing Sync Software, and I think that might be screwing it up...weird...
    nelson.hsieh
  16.    #16  
    Originally posted by AzNCoMpUtAnErD
    It worked!!!

All I have to say for OS 4.1 is...niiiiice, its awesome, I love MSImport. I used to always have problems mounting the memory stick, now it works everytime. Also, the new OS is perty nice in general. Lot cleaner and more memory in RAM. All 710 users should do this upgrade!

I'm still trying to get hotsyncing to my mac to work...argh...I had the Missing Sync Software, and I think that might be screwing it up...weird...
    Try getting the latest version of Palm desktop for mac and install it. 710+ should work with it.
    -Mikedemo
    I have Desktop 2.6.3 and the Missing Sync 2.0. I'll check for newer version of the Desktop. Mark/Space says they're going to release and update to support the 760, or hehe, 710+, but I can't wait that long. I have nothing on the clie! I can sync via memory stick, but I can't get my datebook, phonebook, etc apps synced. Ideas? Thanks...
    nelson.hsieh
    Has anyone had problems with dust under the display? I know there have been reports of this in the past, and I was wondering if the problem is getting worse.

How bad is it?
  19.    #19  
    Originally posted by foo fighter
    Has anyone had problems with dust under the display? I know there have been reports of this in the past, and I was wondering if the problem is getting worse.

How bad is it?

No dust in my Clie. I think the M505 has been having that problem as well.
    -Mikedemo
    Originally posted by foo fighter

How bad is it?
    I had noticed a single spec of dust when I first got my clie, and then a few more, but only one is slightly noticably, the others, you have to look hard for them. In general use, I never notice the spec of dust, unless I look for it specifically.

I'm using a Mac, and MSImport will connect everytime, but every once in a while, it'll connect as "locked." I can't transfer files if its locked. The memory stick is unlocked, but I double check by locking and unlocking it again. It works sometimes, but not all the time. Ideas for always having the Memory Stick unlocked while mounted?
    nelson.hsieh
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast