Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Jupe
    Ok I thought of some other questions:[list=1][*]Is the JogDial support better in OS 4.1?[/list=1]
    Yup, in OS4.1, there is a new option in the Jog prefs screen to allow an extended push (hold) of the BACK button to display a 'cursor' which basically highlights & lets you scroll through drop-down lists, buttons, and other GUI elements. You can also continue to hold it down to pop up the menu. Alternatively, you can choose to have an extended push of the back button power off the Clie.

There's also a way to select specific apps to exclude from using the built-in jogdial support, and a way to add up to 3 extra functions to the menu of ALL apps (choose from the seven: power off, applictions, keyboard, calc, find, frontlight, brightness)
  2. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by foo fighter
    Has anyone had problems with dust under the display? I know there have been reports of this in the past, and I was wondering if the problem is getting worse.

How bad is it?
    Yeah, my clie-n710c collects some dust under the screen. It was annoying at first, but I've learned to ignore it. Wish there was a way to get rid of it, though (and seal it so no more dust could get in)
    Originally posted by Rob

Yup, in OS4.1, there is a new option in the Jog prefs screen to allow an extended push (hold) of the BACK button to display a 'cursor' which basically highlights & lets you scroll through drop-down lists, buttons, and other GUI elements. You can also continue to hold it down to pop up the menu. Alternatively, you can choose to have an extended push of the back button power off the Clie.

There's also a way to select specific apps to exclude from using the built-in jogdial support, and a way to add up to 3 extra functions to the menu of ALL apps (choose from the seven: power off, applictions, keyboard, calc, find, frontlight, brightness)
    My CLIE 710 with OS 3.5.2 and the Sony system update has all those features.
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
    Originally posted by Rob

Yeah, my clie-n710c collects some dust under the screen. It was annoying at first, but I've learned to ignore it. Wish there was a way to get rid of it, though (and seal it so no more dust could get in)
    There's a way to get rid of it, but it's risky if you don't know what you're doing, and it voids your warranty. Check out this site http://www.geocities.com/jhc19104/710C/index.htm

I was thinking about trying it, but I can live with the dust, its up to you what you decide!
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
    Originally posted by Jupe
    My CLIE 710 with OS 3.5.2 and the Sony system update has all those features.
    Yea, but there are many things your 710 wif OS 3.5.2 CAN'T DO. First and foremost, OS 4.1 saves around 1 MB RAM, which is almost 15% of your RAM!!! Because the AudioPlayer, Jog Dial, PGPocket, etc apps are ALL STORED IN ROM. Entirely, half of AudioPlayer is in RAM, taking about almost 500k. Same with other update files, OS 4.1 puts all those into ROM.

OS 4.1 also has suport for 65,000 colors, which is I think noticable even in day to day apps. My apps seem to look much better and "perty-er" than before. And pictures make the all difference in the jump from 256 to 65,000 colors.

Lastly, but probably not all, OS 4.1 has real support for VFS and also adds a MSBackup Utility and MSImport. Although you could add those to a 710. There's also a lot of little fixes, such as support for daylight savings, and better security.

Its a great upgrade, I did it mainly for 65,000 colors, but soon found out many other new things I got .
    nelson.hsieh
    Originally posted by AzNCoMpUtAnErD

There's a way to get rid of it, but it's risky if you don't know what you're doing, and it voids your warranty. Check out this site http://www.geocities.com/jhc19104/710C/index.htm

I was thinking about trying it, but I can live with the dust, its up to you what you decide!
    Does that get rid of it or just prevent future dust from coming in? For some reason I have a really bad dust problem on my 710c+ (I like that term )

I performed the upgrade with no problems whatsoever, and the whole thing took about 2 minutes. I've been running XP since beta2 so finally being able to sync has been a HUGE relief for me. Screen draws are noticably faster, and the overall response seems to be up. I got all my files etc. from here.
    Originally posted by saxmatt
    Does that get rid of it or just prevent future dust from coming in? For some reason I have a really bad dust problem on my 710c+ (I like that term )
    That site has instructions for getting rid of existing dust, and sealing the LCD from further entry. The guy is pretty hard core, and he knows what he's doing. Tons of pictures and good instructions. It shows where all the dust entry points are, interesting....there are very many...

I thought it was a little complicated, and I thought I might mess up, so I chose not to. If you have time and confidance, go for it!
    nelson.hsieh
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12