Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    All these new Handspring springboard modules and software are great, but they all do one thing; try to be a PocketPC. An iPaq 3630 goes on ebay for usually under $300. Compared to a Sony Clie or a Visor Prism, it is obviously the better choice! It can accept standardized compact flash, PC cards, and do pretty much everything a computer can do but in a smaller scale. As opposed to a device that can beep, do basic functions, and accepts propriatary expansion packs, if any. So why do people still buy Palms? They may certainly have an easier learning curve, but that is only because they have so little to learn! Dollar for dollar, PocketPC is the winner.
    you seem to have been a registerd since november 2000, so whats with the sudden turn of interest? and why would you come to a visor website and talk about how much they suck without a really good reason? this is just wrong in my head.
    "Few women admit their age. Few men act theirs."
    "The sum of the intelligence on the planet is constant, but the population is increasing"
    "I am not a vegetarian because i love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants.-- A. Whitney Brown"
    thejckl,

It is impossible to make a sweeping statement that Palm sucks and PPC rules. I have a Visor DX and a Compaq Ipaq and I can honestly say that both have their advantages and disadvantages.

I like the simplicity of the Palm interface. I can view and edit the PIM functions much faster on the Visor. I like the bright color, listening to music, viewing photos and playing games on the Ipaq though. I like the fact that Visor has so much software available for it that I can customize the interface. On the Ipaq, I can get Word and Excel programs out of the box, not that I use them very much though.

People are likely to choose the OS depending on what they expect from their PDA. If you like a multimedia device, Ipaq is great (although I think that the new Clie are going to give them a run for the money) but I still swear by the trusty Visor for my day-to-day activities. It is always my constant companion.

Warkari
    Trying to bridge both sides of the religious divide. Remember, fundamentalism is what struck the WTC on Sept 11.
    wait -- the PocketPC, a port of Windows (one of the most complicated operating systems currently in existance) to a handheld computer, is better than Palm (the simplest operating system currently in existance)? What rock did you crawl out from?
    Give me some examples that don't involve price. I got a Palm based device for its functionality.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Here we go again. I don't care if you like your PPC better than my Visor. Good for you, so you want a cookie?
    I did my quarterly visit to the tech stores today as after reading all of the articles I think WOW maybe its time for a PPC. The iPaq feels so nice and looks so slick and the color is so nice. Then I actually try to do something and find the OS sooo much in the way of what I want to do. And for this 206 MHZ processor, it must be give 99% to the OS because there's not much left for the user or changing apps etc. Everytime, I GLADLY return to the Palm OS.

I am a serious PIM user with many appointments. contacts etc. There is so much to be said for usability in this world and it's not found in PPC. It's kind of like everyone has had major problems at one time or another with a windows desktop. Why do I want to carry all of that pain around in a handheld.

I will patiently wait to upgrade for the next HandSpring device !!
  7.    #7  
    Answers to responses, in "first posted" order:
    robert sibell: I registered Nov. 2000 when I had a Handspring Visor Deluxe. A few months later, it was stolen, and I didn't get a new handheld until August 2001, which is my iPaq 3135. After using it for about the same amount of time as a Palm, I defenitely realized that PocketPC is better.

Warkari: The iPaq can handle day to day activities. If anyhting, it does them better than Palm because it can sync with most programs that we use (Outlook, Quicken, Word, etc.) The Palm may have more software, but almost every product has its counterpart for PPC.

Yorick: You said it yourself. Palm is simple. Its why we don't use DOS as a main OS anymore. It can only be functional to a point. PocketPC may be more complicated, but only because it has many more features. Not much bigger than most Palms, it can defenitely do alot more out of the box.

dampeoples: The fact that people overpay for a less functional device bothers me. And yes I do like cookies.

george_vc: The OS gets in your way? How? A start bar, file explorers, much more organizational options. It syncs seamlessly with a Windows based desktop (if you don't have one of those, well then I have no counter-argument).
    Originally posted by thejckal
    After using it for about the same amount of time as a Palm, I defenitely realized that PocketPC is better.
    for you perhaps. It has things that I don't need and doesn't do things I do need (see end)

Yorick: You said it yourself. Palm is simple. Its why we don't use DOS as a main OS anymore.
    DOS (or, more specifically, MS-DOS) was never simple. It was limited. Not the same thing.

It syncs seamlessly with a Windows based desktop (if you don't have one of those, well then I have no counter-argument).
    That would be a lack of functionality. it's Windows-only. Mac users are left out. bad, bad rubber piggy!
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Sounds like you found your soul-PDA dude, but to say that Palm sucks is a bit harsh. I agree, if one is looking for a PC that will fit inside a large pocket, then PPC is for them.

Believe me, every time I go to a Future Shop or other store like it, the first place I go is to the PDA section and normally the first unit I'll pick up is the latest iPaq. I'm definately wowed by them. Multimedia, PIM functions, out of box Word/Excel, all on an awsome little screen. The harware is great. The hardware also LOOKS great. But as has been said on this board so often is it depends on the user. My number one reason for not getting an iPaq (and I have come close on a few occasions) is that in that store I swear I can feel the power being sucked out of the battery pack. And although the OS being feature rich is nice, all those features sum up to be to much. Too bloated, just like the OS that my desktop runs on. I use my PDA strictly for notes, essays, small spreadsheets and databases, and as a PIM. I have no games on it at all (mainly because I think all the games suck but that's beside the point). I listen to MP3s in my car and watch movies on TV.

My next device will be an m505. It's colour, it's small, it's OS is upgradable (sorry HS). I'm willing to accept longer battery life as a trade off for a dimmer screen. I also believe it or not like to choose my own utilities and applications to do what I want them to do. No more, no less. I do not want some distant billionare choosing for me. Once one application starts to cover too much functionality-wise, we get back to that word 'bloated' again. Many apps and utils have come and gone from my PC for that reason.

I hate to admit it but I think MS will prevail in the long run given their track record, Palm's stagnant dev team, and the mass number of newbs appearing on the PDA market. PPC's have incredible newbie appeal as it says MicroSoft on the box, and it also synchs to MS Office out of the box. It's sad really that because people don't know the alternatives, another competitor will be edged out of the market. And a strong competitor at that (until recently anyway).

Ark.
    Originally posted by thejckal
    The OS gets in your way? How? A start bar, file explorers, much more organizational options. It syncs seamlessly with a Windows based desktop (if you don't have one of those, well then I have no counter-argument).
    The biggest issue I have with the PPC OS is the usability. It really really stinks ! I really dislike it. It does not get me faster to what I need to retrieve or to input. I'm not interested in pops and clicks, or MP3 or games. I hate the PPC graffiti input also, it sucks. The palm OS has the things I need for the professional environment without the overhead of a bunch of junk I don't want or don't need. The 206MHZ strong arm processor and 32 meg are not improving the devices ability to improve Personal Information Management process. If I want a PC, I'll use a PC, this PPC tries to be a baby PC and a personal information manager, it is a poor solution for both from my perspective. Please note I said from "my" perspective. I will each quarter continue to look at them for 2 hours. But thus far...they can keep selling them to other people.
    thejckl,

I did not mean that the Ipaq can't handle day-to-day activities . Only that with the PalmOS on the Visor, I can do them more efficiently. george_vc said what I mean to say but a little more harshly.

YOU may find the PPC UI very intuitive but most folks who use a Palm don't. OTOH, maybe folks who have never seen a PalmOS device may find it ok.

Warkari
    Warkari-
    What happened to your sig? I liked it.
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by Yorick
    bad, bad rubber piggy!
    Invader Zim, right? I LOVE THAT SHOW!
    Zim: Wait a minute. You mean something's wrong and it's *not* your fault?
    GIR (small voice): I know. I'm scared too.

I suppose I wouldn't have said "bad bad rubber piggy" if I hadn't just seen that earlier. anyway ... glad we can keep this all civil & friendly.
  15.    #15  
    They call me the 'wrecking ball' in online chat; one phrase from me can bring a convo to its knees! eg;
    "MC-slip: so I heard MC-vCorev got a 1.8 Ghz system!
    psionicle: bah. AMD rules intel
    thejckal: HAHAHAHA! Inferior human organs!
    psionicle: ...?"
    Well, I *was* a die-hard Visor fanatic...I used to support them at a tech company in CA...I loved them...I have the VisorPhone, the MemPlug CF, Modem, GoType Keyboard, Nxist Cable, and a Handspring case. I've always thought Visor/Palm (cuz they're in the fight together...against PocketPC..) were the best choice...but I'm sorry to say, I'm switching. Now that HP is on the Intel StongArm processor as are all the other new PocketPC's there's no more questioning will this app run on the Hitachi processor on my Jornada...so I'm making the more.

I find switching all the Springboards in and out a pain. When I had my Jornada 548, I could play MP3's while surfing the web on my CF Ethernet card. And I *loved* the way the Today screen stays on all the time...much like my Franklin (which I still use, sorry) is open all the time. Plus once you load the app which display the screen of the PocketPC in a window on the PC...it is poetry/synergy/whatever, in motion. IMHO, MS & PocketPC is gaining tremendous momentum over the Palm's...do I fault HS? Not totally...they're largely at the mercy of the OS...I think they're doing the best they can given the constraints of the OS they're using.

Again, my IMHO...the PocketPC is for me. And you're right the interface isn't as intuitive, but you can load some free apps that really power the interface up...much as people load free apps on their Palm to make it even more useful...each to his/her own...
    Well I would never ever go too the PPC 1 I am a Mac user and 2 to use the PPC i would have to buy a PC to run it on and that is one thing I will never do. compaq and all those other companys that are bill gates puppets think they can take over a market by putting there name on it I mean iPaq that sounds like that stole that name from iMac b/c iMac were long out before iPaqs and not just the PPC verson the desktop one to well I know i got off topic but thats what i think about PPCs
    I love Visors
    no ... punctuation ... head ... exploding ...
    I once had a WinCe 2.0 device and hated the selection of software available and the monochrome so I got my Visor and loved it. The PPC 2002 looks nice but the price doesn't .
    Originally posted by Techie2000
    I once had a WinCe 2.0 device and hated the selection of software available and the monochrome so I got my Visor and loved it. The PPC 2002 looks nice but the price doesn't .
    i agree, software selection for the ppc is a HUGE problem.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast