Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I started out using WinCE Handheld 2.0. It was a great little unit, except for the literal fact it'a battery could not last more than 45 mins, literally. It's functionality was great though, except for battery. Then I switched a Palm IIIc. It was great, and I got it trading in my handheld. I loved it. When the new Clie's came out, I WANTED IT, mainly for MP3s and high-res.

I've lusted after PPCs for their MP3 capability, *perty* OS UI, and other multimedia. The New Clie 710+, thanks mikedemo, hehe, is great, if fulfills most all of those lusts towards the PPC. I used an iPAQ for about a week before getting the clie, and felt many of the same things you guys did. It sounds and looks great, but when it comes down to using it, if fails miserably.

I could have bought an iPAQ with a 64 MB CF card, but I bought a Sony Clie PEG-N710C instead and upgraded it to OS 4.1. Works great, keyword there WORKS. haha. I love it,

PPC 2002 looks nice, haha, keyword, looks nice, but I think it'll suck just like PPC 3.0

However, I'll admit, if Palm OS 5 doesnt shine with StrongARM, multitasking, and a *perty* OS UI, i'm switching to PPC. Power handheld users can only expect so much, can't we? We ALWAYS need more, hehe.
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
    Originally posted by AzNCoMpUtAnErD
    . . . However, I'll admit, if Palm OS 5 doesnt shine with StrongARM, multitasking, and a *perty* OS UI, i'm switching to PPC. Power handheld users can only expect so much, can't we? We ALWAYS need more, hehe.
    You got good point there.

I know if Palm doesn't come correct with Palm OS 5.0 that I will venture to the other side. I have noticed a pattern with myself. I keep upgrading to Palms that have features (though very limited) that are more and more PPC like. My latest device the Sony Clie 710c is a wonderful device and very powerful if rated only in the Palm platform alone. But at times I am underwhelmed because the OS is well a bit feeble.

To put it simple. We want to do more with less devices. And that's why in the end Palm is gonna have to put a lot more into the OS and the hardware.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Whats so great with the ppc os? i have never even used or saw on in life so i dont know. what could make their os much better? i mean isnt it almost the same as palms but with a bigger screen?
    "Few women admit their age. Few men act theirs."
    "The sum of the intelligence on the planet is constant, but the population is increasing"
    "I am not a vegetarian because i love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants.-- A. Whitney Brown"
    Originally posted by robert sibell
    Whats so great with the ppc os? i have never even used or saw on in life so i dont know. what could make their os much better? i mean isnt it almost the same as palms but with a bigger screen?
    The difference is raw power. The PPC OS is far more powerful. A little overkill at that. But the reason Palm right now is slightly the better choice is because the interface is more refined. As of recent Microsoft has been making refinements to their OS and their latest effort "Merlin" may be the back breaker of Palm. Palms OS is lite and does its job well but it is almost like an old dog trick now. The OS has advanced too slowly and if it weren't for Handspring (16bit color and USB support) Sony (VFS file format, 320x320 screen resolution, reflective color display, built in MP3 playback and Handera (dual Compact Flash & SD slots, QVGA screen, virtual graffiti area, decent built in audio playback w/external speakers) there wouldn't be much improvements. Just look at the evolution of the the Palm branded devices.

The way Palm operates seems to hold back Handspring, Sony and Handera hands tied. I hope Palm plans to do better soon, and give them a more robust OS in Palm OS 5.0.

A PDA will need to do many things well. No if ands or buts about it.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Well, thats my point exactly. HS & Others are held back by the OS...they're all waiting for Palm to turn out a more powerful OS. But for me, its more than that.

PPC's, (didn't that used to mean (PowerPC?, anyway..), now all use the StrongArm and all the new ones at least, have the CF standard interface, which provides a UNIVERSAL interface for all add-on vendors to manufacture to...no Springboards for HS, CF for Handera, backpack for Palms, Memory Stick for Sony, and even with their own brandlines, you have unique cradle interfaces...Edge vs Standard Dlx, Plat, Neo...etc. I loved my Edge, but of course we all know there are NO keyboards that fit it, has a unique cradle, and again NO commonality with the other units HS makes. I mean you would think a simple plastic adapter with some wires on it that would adapt the Edge to the normal Visor pins would at least allow me to buy a GoType or Stowaway, or ANYTHING...

So Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho, its off to HP I go.

And I love the comments about MS vs Apple...b/c Mac owners have the same software title issues that the PPC now has, when you find software you want, you have to hope/pray they make it for the Mac. Which in the end is why I left Apple in the first place.
  6. utz
    I work with several people that have Ipaqs. They are indeed pretty and have all the wiz bang features, but I find something very funny. When we go to lunch or to a meeting, they usually stay on the desk. They are just too big and clumsy to use all day, every day. I am sure there are exceptions, and I am sure there are people that carry theirs everywhere. If you want a tool that will become an ever-present item, like shoes and underwear, you get a palm.
    Utz -- (Pronounced 'ootz', it means good, happy, etc. in the Mayan language of Cakchiquel)
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    You got good point there.

I know if Palm doesn't come correct with Palm OS 5.0 that I will venture to the other side. I have noticed a pattern with myself. I keep upgrading to Palms that have features (though very limited) that are more and more PPC like. My latest device the Sony Clie 710c is a wonderful device and very powerful if rated only in the Palm platform alone. But at times I am underwhelmed because the OS is well a bit feeble.

To put it simple. We want to do more with less devices. And that's why in the end Palm is gonna have to put a lot more into the OS and the hardware.
    Yea, kudos, I was saying the same thing. I mean, I spend $500+ dollars, well, I actually only spend $300, LONG STORY, on a Palm Device, that is very capable, but in it's own arena. I could get an iPAQ 3670 for the same price. It has MP3 capability, excellent screen, great video playback, image viewing, everything I wanted with my Clie, and more. However, the reason I chose the clie was because I love the OS, and the way palm works. Also, I use Macintosh, haha. iPAQs *seem* nice, and *sound* nice, but when it gets down to using one, they don't *seem* nice anymore.

I'm happy with my clie, my friends with iPAQ can show off their perty windows media player, or movie clips. But when it comes down to using it for what's needed, I shine 100% of the time. (i.e. tracking homework, appointments, making flash cards, etc.) That's why I love my clie and I love the PalmOS. However, I'm gonna want more power and features, I've been wanting voice recording capability, (to record my spanish teacher speak, I have a bad accent, yo hablo espanol mal, hehe) and many other features. Palm's gonna have to deliver, or lose many power users...
    nelson.hsieh
    Originally posted by utz
    I work with several people that have Ipaqs. They are indeed pretty and have all the wiz bang features, but I find something very funny. When we go to lunch or to a meeting, they usually stay on the desk. They are just too big and clumsy to use all day, every day. I am sure there are exceptions, and I am sure there are people that carry theirs everywhere. If you want a tool that will become an ever-present item, like shoes and underwear, you get a palm.
    Haha! Yea, that's too true. My friend has an iPAQ, and many instances he leaves it in his backpack because it's too big to carry around.

We'll ask each other this question..."Where's your Clie? OR Where's your iPAQ?"

My response is, it's in my pocket, you wanna see it?

His response is, it's in my backpack, letme go get it.

The iPAQ is great, but you can just never always have it with you, its too uncomfortable to wear. The only time he keeps it in his pocket is if he doesn't have access to his backpack to put it away. Just some thoughts...
    nelson.hsieh
    I will say this...I don't personally like the Ipaq's at all. I used to have one, but I thought they stunk. I'm much more pleased with the HP Jornada's...personal choice...the whole 'sled' the ipaq's use is just stupid.
    Everyone keeps saying that unless PalmOS 5.0 delivers the goods, they are switching to PocketPC. My question, what are the goods? What do you want Palm to bring to the OS that will maintain your loyalty?

How is Palm supposed to bring all these things, without compromising the very thing that made them great? Every person feels the next Palm device should have certain abilities, or it is a failure. The only thing we all agree on, is we do not like PPC. So how does Palm create the PDA of the future, without the same problem as PPC?

For every feature you add, you complicate things. You add bloat and a greater chance of incompatibility. The more things they try to make it, the more it resembles the very OS we dislike.

Here is what I would like. Give me hardware like the iPaq. Give me the PalmOS that can handle the screen resolution. Then leave me alone. Let me decide what additional features I want.

Unfortunately, PPC is the future. As PDA's become as common as the PC, people will purchase them with the same mentality. They will buy the device that integrates best with what they currently have, and that is Windows.

I just wonder how long we will have to wait before Microsoft starts including PocketPC's with every PC purchase...
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    My sister's company gave her an Ipaq with a wireless internet card. It took me three times as long to get anything done on it than my Prism. Then when I used it to go online it was very slow and cumbersome, regardless of the 200mhz processor inside because it had to shrink the webpages down. I love having graffiti and I'd rather not use the on screen keyboard, than graffitti. Graffitti seems a lot more natural and i almost don't have to concentrate. Her IPaq doubled in size when it had the sleeve added so it could hold the PC Card. Yes, it's a very pretty unit and has a lot of features that my prism lacks. But instant access to my data and programs is what I want. I agree with the statement above about people leaving their ipaqs behind on the desk. My sister leaves her in a bag (kind of a second purse for her) and she doesn't keep the bag with her at all times. my prism however (even in it's brickish form) is easy enough to tag along with me. My new Handera is even easier.
    You know it's bad when your Calculus Professor uses the word "Unpossible"

"It's a long way from my thoughts to what I'll say, It's a long, long way from paradise to where I am today." -Switchfoot, Home
    Originally posted by GSR13
    ...the more it resembles the very OS we dislike...
    Exactly.The Clié is a gamble because it merely offers multimedia. Handsprings Treo is a gamble because it merely going to offer wireless connectivity. How exactly does PocketPC have more 'raw power'? Is it clock speed? Granted, Palm has been sitting on their laurels, but the bite in market share has been felt. They bought Be Inc. and have promised the horsepower with their next release. But that, again, is a gamble that multimedia is what is lacking. I don't care how many pixels you manage to cram into a 2" square screen, in the end it is still just a 2" screen - the perfect size for retrieving information, but woefully inadequate for multimedia.
    I just wonder how long we will have to wait before Microsoft starts including PocketPC's with every PC purchase...
    That is a corporate decision for HP or Compaq (or both, as the case may be), not MS.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    The reason I bought my Palm device (a VDX) was because of its functionality as "... a satellite -- an add-on to your full-sized computer that quickly gulps down your most important information into a gizmo the size of a cassette tape." Couple that with the tremendous benefit of being able to search and quicky find useful information (when compared to a paper organizer) and I was sold. I chose the Visor primarily because of the Mac-compatible USB HotSync and the Backup Module. Granted, I've added a few games and such but my primary use for it is to be able to enter information on the go and not have to enter it again.

The biggest issue for me is the low-light visibility of the screen - I'd gladly give up the no-light visiblity for a unit that has good low and bright light performance.

Anything else the unit can do (play music, surf the web, etc.) is interesting but not worth much to me. I hope whatever Palm/Handspring comes up with doesn't sacrifice basic functionality for all of these extras -- if they do, I'll be keeping my VDX for a while and invest in a good flashlight.

(Quote above from "PalmPilot The Ultimate Guide" by David Pogue.)
    Fords suck. Chevys rule!

Yeeeehaaaawwwww!
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    homer Fords suck. Chevys rule!
    HOW DARE YOU, I REPEAT, HOW DARE YOU

I MEAN have you got no mind at all? all those chevy, "like a rock" commercials are bogus, i mean dont ford's win the engine with no oil race?
    "Few women admit their age. Few men act theirs."
    "The sum of the intelligence on the planet is constant, but the population is increasing"
    "I am not a vegetarian because i love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants.-- A. Whitney Brown"
    Fords and Chevys suck. Small Japanese cars rule!!
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Thank God... finally, a rational turn for this thread.

(I keep looking at a Toyota Prius (hybrid car) with interest... but it looks like it got squeezed between two elephants. And I'm not sure how often you have to replace the NiMH batteries. (Much like my VDX...))
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    I drive an Acura Integra, and while I love the car, I find nothing can compete with German Automobiles.

My wife and I purchased a BMW back in July, and there is no comparison. I have never driven a car that I enjoy more. There is just something about those cars that the Japanese cars do not have.

As for Ford and Chevy, I would buy a Ford Super Duty truck. My Dad has an F250 Diesel that is one bad truck. Trucks are the only vehicles that I would buy American. Otherwise, my next car will be German as well.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Originally posted by GSR13
    [...] Trucks are the only vehicles that I would buy American. [...]
    My Nissan truck was made in Smyrna, TN.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by Toby
    My Nissan truck was made in Smyrna, TN.
    True. Now let me clarify. The only automobile I would purchase that is made by an American Automobile maker would be a Full-Size truck. To date, there is not a Foreign company that builds a truck that can compete with Ford, Chevy or Dodge.

While your Nissan may be made in the States, Nissan is a Japanese company.

My point was, that while Foreign Automakers seem to have figured out what Americans want in a car, they have not done so with Full-Size trucks. In fact, the only Foreign Full-Size truck I can think of is the Toyota Tundra.

If I were to purchase a car or light-duty truck, it would definately be foreign.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast