1.    #1  
    I actually think I talked my gf into letting me upgrade from my VDx! I've wanted to upgrade for a while but now that I can do it without getting beaten up, I'm not sure I want to anymore. There is no PDA that I really like.

If I were to upgrade I'd get a colour device for sure. That's good because it narrows down the options. Also, although I've got nothing but love for my VDx, Handspring is out because of the non-flashable OS. If I could flash my OS then I wouldn't even want an upgrade right now. Live and learn I guess.

Sony is out because I've hated every Sony product I've purchased other than TVs and monitors etc. There software and support for non-core items (in my experience) is a joke. The colour Clie looks nice but as a 'non-core' item it's not an option as far as I'm concerned.... And it's too expensive.

As for the Palm m505, I think that would be the hands down winner in my decision if it weren't $700 CDN!!! That's insane. I think I could live with the screen (it's not THAT bad) but it's only $50 less than the friggin' iPaq! I already am a registered user of Wordsmith, Quick Office etc so desktop compatibility is not an issue.

Second in line would be the iPaq. My main problem with that is the battery life. I don't want to charge my unit every day. Simple as that. The pitfalls of the PPC OS I can get used to I'm sure and in time I would become just as proficient with that as I currently am with PalmOS. As mentioned above, Word/Excel compatibility is not an issue. Nor are MP3 and movie playability as I'd never use it anyway. I just want to use my PDA as a PDA so this bloated device is not really a good choice for me.

I know this topic has been beaten to death so I really don't expect many responses... I just wanted to vent my frustrations and list my pros and cons for different options. I just figured I'd share them with you guys as you are the ones who's opinions I trust in PDA related matters.

The more I think and type about it the more I'm swinging toward the m505.... I love the OS, I have a bunch of apps for it already. It's colour, with a gorgeous form factor, and it's OS is flashable. I suppose I just explained to myself the reason for the outrageous price eh? hehe

Cheers guys and thanks for reading my babble

Arker.
    Originally posted by Arker
    I actually think I talked my gf into letting me upgrade from my VDx! I've wanted to upgrade for a while but now that I can do it without getting beaten up ... Arker.
    Of course, this is really the part of your post you want comments on, right? Somebody needs a hug!!
    MANY BLESSINGS!
    Peace and Every Good!

Michael W. Cristiani
    mcristia@fuse.net
  3.    #3  
    hehe... Ok.. Maybe I was a little harsh. She doesn't actually beat me up. She just threatens mostly.

Of course, any points that I missed in my post (regarding the PDAs hehe) are welcome. I need some swaying.

Ark.
    Originally posted by Arker
    If I were to upgrade I'd get a colour device for sure. That's good because it narrows down the options. Also, although I've got nothing but love for my VDx, Handspring is out because of the non-flashable OS. If I could flash my OS then I wouldn't even want an upgrade right now. Live and learn I guess.
    Why does a flashable OS matter so much? I don't see how upgrading a VDx to OS4.1 would help much?

I personally think the Visor Prism is by far the best deal.. like you said the CLIE is very nice but you're right about Sony.

The new iPaqs are very nice. I might save up and get one, although I could get 2 Prisms instead
    VDx to OS4.1
    16-bit greyscale and PiDirect support. I don't see why handspring doesn't just use 3.5H2 ROM chips in the VDx.
  6.    #6  
    Pi-Direct support. If PalmOS 3.1 supported Pi-Direct, I would get the MemPlugCF and not even consider upgrading. I might be able to squeeze another year out of the VDx.

That said, I'm not upgrading simply because of that reason. It's the perverbial 'staw' that's all.

The greyscale thing isn't all that big of a deal for me. Nor is colour for that matter, but if I'm going to upgrade, I will get it.

Ark.