Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I wouldn't read too much into it, the 3GS still can't multi-task and WebOS is brand new. I'm sure Palm will find lots of things to optimize in the coming months/years.
    that's over wifi though
    Both processors are the same under the hood, Apples is more refined.. Leo Laporte reported n the specs this morning, so if the apple 3 g is more refiend Palm can fix that with a few OTA Updates
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    that's over wifi though
    Well, you're comparing phones not networks. ATT has their good spots and bad. Sprint does too. Maybe ATT has more but that's another argument.
  6.    #6  
    I love the fact they are close in some ways. The more competition the more we all win!!
    I would hope it's faster, given how mature Apple's OS is over Web OS at the present time. I'll be interested in another test 4-6 months from now when some major updates have been released for the Pre.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by searchable View Post
    Oh come on, a few seconds make you feel that bad???
    Like the guys said, palm WILL refine and smoke the 3gs.
    Do you feel better now
  9.    #9  
    Shouldn't they be about tied (who cared abotu a 5% difference) since the 3gs and Pre are both using the same processors and have the same guts essentially?
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Speed is overrated. A quality camera with autofocus, white balance and video is not.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Addie_Goodvibes View Post
    Both processors are the same under the hood, Apples is more refined.. Leo Laporte reported n the specs this morning, so if the apple 3 g is more refiend Palm can fix that with a few OTA Updates
    according to a report at Engadget I read this morning:
    Update: They've identified the chipset as the SoC S5PC100 from Samsung and thus confirm an ARM Cortex A8 running at 600 MHz (operates at up to 833MHz though) and the ability to record 720p video and handle real-time video conferencing should Apple choose to go in that direction (iPhone 3G S records VGA only)

that sounds like the apple processor is a little faster.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Btw, if that was over wifi than thats a cheap comparison. Do it over 3G and see that the PRE will be much faster. If not I personally could care less. I think those that keep looking at iphone forums have a chance that they may in time go to the iphone.

So just be happy with what you have.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    how is a wifi comparison cheap?
    I wouldnt take to much into that review.....

1. Just how many people will be getting the 3GS to take advantage of the new speed.....you cant tell me everyone that bought a 3G last year is getting a 3GS this year? Not for the discount price atleast. So where does that leave the 3G consumers....way behind the 3GS users, Apple is dividing their own consumers.

2. All Apple had to do was tweak an already established OS, WebOS still in version 1....needs the tweaks and like the previous review, "polish" to match up to the 3GS
    Doing it over wifi is the only way to see which phone is intrinsically faster (so I think its a good test to do). Doing it over 3G networks will give a better estimate as to how well the phone will fare in real life (in that particular location).
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    i wonder if Palm felt the battery wouldn't survive all day if the processor was running at 600MHz?
    Quote Originally Posted by Preman View Post
    Btw, if that was over wifi than thats a cheap comparison. Do it over 3G and see that the PRE will be much faster. If not I personally could care less. I think those that keep looking at iphone forums have a chance that they may in time go to the iphone.

So just be happy with what you have.
    No, just no. Utilizing wifi takes out all the variables from the 3G/EVDO networks. That way, the speed is totally dependent on the phone and OS, not the network. That's the way it should be in any decent test.

They're testing the speed of the phones themselves, not the network.
    Check out the video comparison on CNET. On cell the Palm was 50% faster than the new 3Gs. 50%!!!
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    I can live with that 11% considering the 450 everything plan is roughly $20 cheaper than a similarly equipped service package from AT&T
    plus you don't have those pushy sales people over the phone to buy the car charger
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast