Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I love my Pre, never owned an iPhone.

Regarding optimizing WebOS to get that 11%...that is making the assumption that it has that much room for improvement or more.
    not necessarily trying to defend the pre but sometimes these type of percentages are meaningless in real world use.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preman View Post
    Btw, if that was over wifi than thats a cheap comparison. Do it over 3G and see that the PRE will be much faster. If not I personally could care less. I think those that keep looking at iphone forums have a chance that they may in time go to the iphone.

So just be happy with what you have.
    Probably , but this was a good way to directly compare the hardware capabilities so was the correct way.

Quote Originally Posted by titansluvpre View Post
    I wouldnt take to much into that review.....

1. Just how many people will be getting the 3GS to take advantage of the new speed.....you cant tell me everyone that bought a 3G last year is getting a 3GS this year? Not for the discount price atleast. So where does that leave the 3G consumers....way behind the 3GS users, Apple is dividing their own consumers.

2. All Apple had to do was tweak an already established OS, WebOS still in version 1....needs the tweaks and like the previous review, "polish" to match up to the 3GS

BTW, flaw was this test had the 3G using iphone 2.2 not iphone 3.0 software. Be cool to see 3g with v3, 3gs with v3, and Pre with latest comparison
    You do realize that this also means the Pre is 43% faster than the iphone 3g. Not bad either way for Palms first attempt to get back to relevancy in the post iphone world.
    I think the main point to that review(Well for me) is that the 3GS is 50% faster than the 3G.....so where does that leave all the 3G users?

Im not a fan of companies, making minor(Not completely major) upgrades but applying them to a new product.

Think of like EA and Madden...they only do minor upgrades every year but expect the consumer to buy the new game at full value every year(And yes I am one of those people, so I am a fool for that).

But in the case of smartphones, is it getting to the point where you have to buy a new one every year?

If I was a new Iphone consumer last year, and just bought a 3G, and then fast forward to now to find out that the new 3GS is 50% faster, but I couldnt upgrade(Without paying full price)? I would be highly pissed. Im just wondering how soon Apple will be rolling out OS updates and apps that will only apply to the 3GS as it is the more powerful phone?

To me, and by no means is this an Apple bash, I love Mac Os's(just not an Iphone), you are now competing within yourself....you just toted the 3G last year as the huge upgrade to the 1st gen Iphone and now the 3GS is superior to the 3G....so where does that leave all the brand new 3G users?
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    The only the the pre really needs to work on, is app loading time. 0.8 seconds to open the email app is amazing, and only 2.7 for google maps! This would really make the pre feel snappier.
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Don't the Palm Pre has the FIRST VERSION of WebOS. Apple has had 2 years to tweak their iPhone OS.
    R.I.P. Windows Mobile (2002 - 2009)

HP Jornada 568 -> HP Ipaq 2215 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Tmobile SDA -> Qtek 8500 (HTC STRTrk) -> Motorola Q -> Sprint Mogul -> Sprint Touch -> Sprint Touch Diamond -> Sprint Touch Pro
  8.    #28  
    I think the main point to that review(Well for me) is that the 3GS is 50% faster than the 3G.....so where does that leave all the 3G users?

Im not a fan of companies, making minor(Not completely major) upgrades but applying them to a new product.

Think of like EA and Madden...they only do minor upgrades every year but expect the consumer to buy the new game at full value every year(And yes I am one of those people, so I am a fool for that).

But in the case of smartphones, is it getting to the point where you have to buy a new one every year?

If I was a new Iphone consumer last year, and just bought a 3G, and then fast forward to now to find out that the new 3GS is 50% faster, but I couldnt upgrade(Without paying full price)? I would be highly pissed. Im just wondering how soon Apple will be rolling out OS updates and apps that will only apply to the 3GS as it is the more powerful phone?

To me, and by no means is this an Apple bash, I love Mac Os's(just not an Iphone), you are now competing within yourself....you just toted the 3G last year as the huge upgrade to the 1st gen Iphone and now the 3GS is superior to the 3G....so where does that leave all the brand new 3G users?
    Interesting points.

But most people don't care about a new model, just nerds who hang out in forums comparing speeds of a cell phones .

Personally, I don't understand why people keep comparing a current model cell phone (pre) to an old model cell phone (3g)? The pre was only the direct competitor to the 3g for 2 days .

Not sure I follow you, are you suggesting a company can't announce a new product a year later saying it's a new and improved one? Doesn't Dell et all. all sell older less powerful computers for less than their newer faster ones, seems logical to me. Didn't Palm do this with their entire Treo lines as they aged and updated them? When Palm comes out with Pre II next year, what's the difference?

Also, know several people who bought the 3g after the 3gs was announced. did they care about the changes? No, in fact they didn't even understand them! lol. They just said "Wow, $99 for a smartphone , and it's an iphone! Got one!"
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
    and only 2.7 for google maps! This would really make the pre feel snappier.
    Hmm snappier and faster google maps....or having another gps app(Sprint nav) w/ turn by turn navigation...for free.

Guess you have to take your pick which matters more to you. Dont get me wrong though, the faster something is, the better. But even having more options is better too(And for free is a +).
  10.    #30  
    personally, i can't wait for a touch keyboard Palm WebOS phone. Unfortunately, I decided that for me I just can't use the Pre keyboard. Please don't flame me, it was a very very difficult decision, as I really really wanted to have WebOs
    Here you go...

Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Speed is overrated. A quality camera with autofocus, white balance and video is not.
    So true! I wonder if software can provide autofocusing & white balance. We know video is coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple.Sevens View Post
    Here you go...

the pre does take a long time to boot up... never really timed it :P
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Hmm snappier and faster google maps....or having another gps app(Sprint nav) w/ turn by turn navigation...for free.

Guess you have to take your pick which matters more to you. Dont get me wrong though, the faster something is, the better. But even having more options is better too(And for free is a +).
    oh the nav software being included is great! but that takes even longer to load than google maps

Im just saying in general, I would love it if the apps started faster, and it's definitely a potential area of improvement for the phone.
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
    Quote Originally Posted by cbascue View Post
    Check out the video comparison on CNET. On cell the Palm was 50% faster than the new 3Gs. 50%!!!
    I was going to mention that and still will.

The Pre in their "smackdown" beat the 3GS, the older iPhone crapped out, in 2 of the 3 "yests".

The results at Anand seemed a little askewed. Anybody wanna check and see if any of those sites tested automatically sends the iPhone to a specially formated site?

Do those apps really load and are ready to use in under 1 second!?
    Thay would be phenominal by any standard!
    Cnet has a mini prize fight with the Pre, Iphone 3G and 3GS and Pre won two out of three tests and won the contest. The Pre lost the boot up time which was almost two mins and the 3G beat the 3GS by half the time. I sure there will be a better contest in the future.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preman View Post
    Btw, if that was over wifi than thats a cheap comparison. Do it over 3G and see that the PRE will be much faster. If not I personally could care less. I think those that keep looking at iphone forums have a chance that they may in time go to the iphone.

So just be happy with what you have.
    Sprint is faster as their data network is more stable than AT&T. Using wifi is the ONLY way we can gauge the actual speed of the two devices. If you used 3G, Sprint will naturally win as they have less clog than AT&T.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    Cnet has a mini prize fight with the Pre, Iphone 3G and 3GS and Pre won two out of three tests and won the contest. The Pre lost the boot up time which was almost two mins and the 3G beat the 3GS by half the time. I sure there will be a better contest in the future.
    That's because they were using 3G for their testing. Sprint's network is FAR better than AT&T. They should have also conducted the test under wifi to even out the playing field.
    Quote Originally Posted by janric View Post
    Sprint is faster as their data network is more stable than AT&T. Using wifi is the ONLY way we can gauge the actual speed of the two devices. If you used 3G, Sprint will naturally win as they have less clog than AT&T.
    Exactly. I said it earlier in this thread and I don't know why people aren't getting this through their thick heads.
    11% means nothing. What does the device actually do and how does it fit into your life? If I can multi-task what does the load speed of an app matter since it's already open? To each his own. These are both good devices.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast