Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    I really want to love my Pre but it seems like I just really like it. I miss the form factor of my 8330 and hate have slide the Pre up and down again and again. Don't get me wrong, I love WebOS and the software is rather impressive, but I don't think that makes up for the phone's hardware. So should I return my Pre go back to my Curve and wait for the Tour? TIA
    Quote Originally Posted by matt351 View Post
    I really want to love my Pre but it seems like I just really like it. I miss the form factor of my 8330 and hate have slide the Pre up and down again and again. Don't get me wrong, I love WebOS and the software is rather impressive, but I don't think that makes up for the phone's hardware. So should I return my Pre go back to my Curve and wait for the Tour? TIA
    iPhone envy I understand, but Blackberry? The OS is ANCIENT!! The GUI is horrible and very late 90s. Sure corporate email is fine and I grant them more apps and a marginally better keyboard, but otherwise the OS sucks.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conqueror View Post
    iPhone envy I understand, but Blackberry? The OS is ANCIENT!! The GUI is horrible and very late 90s. Sure corporate email is fine and I grant them more apps and a marginally better keyboard, but otherwise the OS sucks.
    Marginally better? You obviously have never owned a Blackberry.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    I agree that the BB GUI looks ridiculously outdated and the OS is not for everyone, but the phones themselves feel great in hand and the keyboards are second to none. I most likely will stick with the Pre, but I wanted to hear from those who made the switch from a BB to the Pre.
    I agree that the BB GUI looks ridiculously outdated and the OS is not for everyone, but the phones themselves feel great in hand and the keyboards are second to none. I most likely will stick with the Pre, but I wanted to hear from those who made the switch from a BB to the Pre.
    Its all about what your needs are. If you need a fast robust messaging device the BB may be a better choice. If you are more into Web browsing and Pandora then the Pre may be better (or perhaps the iPhone). If you want to hack your phone, get an Android device.
  6. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    Personally, the lack of a touchscreen on a blackberry (excluding the storm) talks me out of having one. If they could put out a Bold/Tour with a touchscreen Id be all over it. But til that happens, I am not interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Marginally better? You obviously have never owned a Blackberry.
    I have. It's a keyboard for christ's sake. It's little plastic that goes up and down. It ain't that big a deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpremature View Post
    I had the pre also and am so much happier with the Blackberry Bold. I recommend waiting for the tour.

The web browser on RIMM's is also laughable vis-a-vis the iPhone/Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Its all about what your needs are. If you need a fast robust messaging device the BB may be a better choice. If you are more into Web browsing and Pandora then the Pre may be better (or perhaps the iPhone). If you want to hack your phone, get an Android device.
    I'm quite interested in your last point. Why is Android better to hack than WebOS if WebOS too is bound by the GPL and thus Palm has to publish its source code? I'm only a middling programmer so I'm really curious in the distinction. Thanks!
    I'm quite interested in your last point. Why is Android better to hack than WebOS if WebOS too is bound by the GPL and thus Palm has to publish its source code? I'm only a middling programmer so I'm really curious in the distinction. Thanks!
    Large parts of WebOS are opensource but those are mostly the generic parts. All of Android is opensource (except for some apps of course). WebOS allows for tinkering, Android encourages it.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    We use BB's here at work and I admin the BES and I would easly pick the Pre over any BB. I don't think that BB had WiFi anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by langenoir View Post
    We use BB's here at work and I admin the BES and I would easly pick the Pre over any BB. I don't think that BB had WiFi anyway.
    Some do, some don't
    im really leaning towards the tour
    OP - I had a Pre, went back to my Bold. Whomever said the BB OS is from the late 90's has either been living under a rock or never owned a BB. Anyhow the Pre is fun to fiddle with but for serious business I use the BB Bold.
    I will never knock a BB. I've had a couple of them and they are reliable devices that get the job done. Everything about them just says "workhorse"

If I needed a serious business phone I would be giddy waiting for the new Tour. I just happen to need a fun smartphone so the Pre has been a joy. Whatever suits ya!
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Get a Moto Razr
    I don't believe the Tour has Wifi ... kind of a deal breaker for some people. Love my Pre anyway.
    Sounds like you've already talked yourself into returning the Pre and waiting for the Tour.
    "Music is well said to be the speech of angels." - Thomas Carlyle
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Its all about what your needs are. If you need a fast robust messaging device the BB may be a better choice. If you are more into Web browsing and Pandora then the Pre may be better (or perhaps the iPhone). If you want to hack your phone, get an WinMo device.
    Fixed
    Palm m100>Palm m130>Sony Clie>HP Jornada 525>Dell Axim X3i>Nokia 3395>Nokia 6630>Motorola i530>PPC 6700>Mogul (PPC-6800)

Palm Pre!
    I dont like OS 4.2 on the Blackberrys but I currently carry an 8700 along with my Pre. If you are a heavy email user, you need the Blackberry but if you can get along with marginal to decent email support, the Pre is the way to go. Even with applications, the BB is still a weak PDA and marginal with application support. I am a huge fan of the Blackberry but I still see too many shortcomings (web, potential for applications, lack of touchscreen support). And the trackball has made them less durable than the older models (although its still better than the pre in that regard).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast