Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Ok guys, well tomorrow I will be getting the new Iphone. I have to do it. I have never had an iphone, but stuck with Sprint due to the prices. Then the Pre came out. So far, I am more than happy with the Pre. I have none of the issue posted here with the Pre. I believe more apps would keep me content with the Pre, but I just will never know, if I don't check it out for myself.

I will do real world comparisons to see who the winner is "for me". I know this is the most important thing. One service could be better than the other, the pricing could be an issue, I may miss multitasking. I am just glad they came out so close together so I can test both and keep the winner.

Anyone else considering taking the iphone for a test spin? I just figure now is the perfect time. You can use both side by side and keep what suits your needs. I will keep you updated with my thoughts. I am not a fan boy of either phone, but a general fan of all gadgets.
    I too considered an iphone a long while ago but decided that I prefer a phone and not a toy. No offense to anyone but I do understand the entertainment value of an iphone it's just not my thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by billybennett View Post
    I too considered an iphone a long while ago but decided that I prefer a phone and not a toy. No offense to anyone but I do understand the entertainment value of an iphone it's just not my thing.
    These comments crack me up. I consider my iPhone on par with my blackberry as a business enterprise device.
    Quote Originally Posted by billybennett View Post
    I've found that most people I know, who have Iphones, have never used a smartphone, or possibly had one and never used it to their full potential...ie: they didnt go on forums doing research on how to use the phone.

So for those people I know, the Iphone is the only smartphone they have ever known and automatically compare what the Iphone does and all other phones are just clones. And majority of these friends? All had ipods, so it was an easy switch to go to an Iphone. Iphones are simplistic to use, its like the training wheels to a smartphone...no offense.

Unfortunately, it makes majority of them closed minded towards other phones, because of the general consensus..."well its not an Iphone". Even cracks me up more when they go on and on about some app, when majority of them have been on other phones for years.

Its been what...almost 2 weeks, and I still have not shown the PRE off to anyone that has an Iphone...simply cause they dont even know about it yet. Im waiting for more of that natural "fad" hype for the PRE, which then I can say I have had it since day 1.
    Why is there a new thread for this and why is it in this forum at all?
    Good luck and its cool that you will have both at the same time. I tried the iPhone in Jaunuary and then again in March but both times ATT's service was just not good enough for me where I need it to be. My mobile is my primary phone - personal & business - so call quality is important. Then I looked at the plan pricing and the fact that I would need a ATT Microcell or a landline for call dependability, and I stopped and slapped myself. So far I love the Pre but I admit I still lust after the extra .4" of screen space on the iPhone. Would have been a convert back in March if would have worked.

Good luck and report back.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    My point is calling the iPhone a toy is close minded. Sure its a great media and gaming device, but it also allows me to connect to my enterprise exchange environment, use my corporate Jabber servers, and access internal networks via VPN. I also have great calendar, tasks, and notes app.

I also think the Pre will make a very good enterprise device when it matures a bit and gets full exchange security support.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Shadrap. If you never had the iphone than you WILL love it. I had many of them as I kept going to new phones as they came out. I went back to the iphone because all the others did never compared to the iphone.

I will say that if you are the kind of person that buys a phone and stays with it for the 2 full years contract than try the iphone. If you are not that kind of person you will get bored with the iphone.

I have purchased around $200.00 worth of apps and I hardly ever use them. Even the games I have I hardly touch them. The app store had many apps but many are just useless. When I used the iphone (still have the 3g) I was hardly ever modivated to add any appointments, tasks, notes and so forth because of the keyboard on the iphone.

All I used the iphone was movies and mp3's. Now that I have the PRE I will use the iphone 3g for about 2 minutes and it feels OLD. Even my wife that loved the iphone and said when I bought it that the iphone was the only phone she liked from the phones I have bought in the past. Now she laughs when she holds and uses the iphone to compare it to the pre. She says it feels gigantic and the ui "feels" old. Thats from a woman who is not into gadgets as I am, but she loves her PRE and so do I!

Once the apps start coming for the pre there is no stoping this phone for a while.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    People really need to sit back in their chair and appreciate how incredible it is that there are now TWO incredible smartphones to consider and whether you go iPhone or Pre then either way you are getting a killer phone for under $200.

It wasn't long ago that if you wanted a smartphone you were FORCED into an archaic and severely overpriced phone that would barely do what you want. And if you wanted an OS upgrade you'd have to spend $4-800 for an entirely new phone.
    I like the iPhone well enough. When I've used one I found it to have good build quality and decent software. I might own one if I could get it on a less expensive carrier but as it stands, it's not cool enough for me to pay that much more per month for one when there are other good phones on less expensive carriers. I split a shared plan with my girlfriend so we share 1500 minutes which is well below the ~200 I use monthly and get the unlimited text, 3g data, commercial turn-by-turn nav program, and nights and weekends starting at 7pm for $65 each before discounts and closer to $50-55 each after discounts. I'd be paying much more than that if I wanted a chunk of minutes and all of those add-ons with an iPhone.

As far as the device, I think it's a pretty good one. I just don't like the plans or the iTunes integration. I think I'd have to jailbreak mine the day I got it to avoid that Charlie Foxtrot.
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    As far as the device, I think it's a pretty good one. I just don't like the plans or the iTunes integration. I think I'd have to jailbreak mine the day I got it to avoid that Charlie Foxtrot.
    I totally agree with that part.....unfortunately most of the friends I have that have Iphones just have one because someone else does.

Out of 9 of them, I can bet only 1 or 2 even knows what jailbreak is.
    Quote Originally Posted by titansluvpre View Post
    I totally agree with that part.....unfortunately most of the friends I have that have Iphones just have one because someone else does.

Out of 9 of them, I can bet only 1 or 2 even knows what jailbreak is.
    I posted a link to the new unlocking and jailbreaking software that came out yesterday with the 3.0 firmware. A few of my facebook friends took offense that I was promoting something not approved by Apple. It's unique for a segment of the gadget-geek population to be hostile to the concept of using your devices in new (and possibly unorthodox) ways. I think it's the influence of the fashion crowd and consumer crowd on the market thanks to Apple's unique brand of marketing.
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    I posted a link to the new unlocking and jailbreaking software that came out yesterday with the 3.0 firmware. A few of my facebook friends took offense that I was promoting something not approved by Apple. It's unique for a segment of the gadget-geek population to be hostile to the concept of using your devices in new (and possibly unorthodox) ways. I think it's the influence of the fashion crowd and consumer crowd on the market thanks to Apple's unique brand of marketing.

I think you just nailed 90% of my Iphone friends right on the button.

I also just realised that none of them work in an office business atmosphere either. As in they dont need certain work email accounts.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    I was MAYBE considering an iphone before i got wind of the pre in feb.
    I havent looked back since. The reasons were that i was so disatisfied with WinMo as a mobile platform and the Mogul as a device but the Pre fills in the void.
  15. msb
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    These comments crack me up. I consider my iPhone on par with my blackberry as a business enterprise device.
    I consider my shoe on par with a banana as a fresh fruit. But that doesn't necessarily make it so.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Good luck and its cool that you will have both at the same time. I tried the iPhone in Jaunuary and then again in March but both times ATT's service was just not good enough for me where I need it to be. My mobile is my primary phone - personal & business - so call quality is important. Then I looked at the plan pricing and the fact that I would need a ATT Microcell or a landline for call dependability, and I stopped and slapped myself. So far I love the Pre but I admit I still lust after the extra .4" of screen space on the iPhone. Would have been a convert back in March if would have worked.

Good luck and report back.
    I had to laugh at this one considering my misadventures with the Pre's reception and discovering that all of a sudden my sprint coverage sucks.
    Competition is good. The more smartphones that get into mainstream users hands, the better it is for EVERYONE. I wish there were 20 smartphones that were available that were on par with the Pre and iPhone, it would make the phone developers work that much harder for our hard earned dollars, and in the end put better products in our hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadrap View Post
    Ok guys, well tomorrow I will be getting the new Iphone. I have to do it. I have never had an iphone, but stuck with Sprint due to the prices. Then the Pre came out. So far, I am more than happy with the Pre. I have none of the issue posted here with the Pre. I believe more apps would keep me content with the Pre, but I just will never know, if I don't check it out for myself.

I will do real world comparisons to see who the winner is "for me". I know this is the most important thing. One service could be better than the other, the pricing could be an issue, I may miss multitasking. I am just glad they came out so close together so I can test both and keep the winner.

Anyone else considering taking the iphone for a test spin? I just figure now is the perfect time. You can use both side by side and keep what suits your needs. I will keep you updated with my thoughts. I am not a fan boy of either phone, but a general fan of all gadgets.
    I am glad to see that you will test both phones out and make a personal decision on which phone fits you the best.

Like I always say....."A phone which works for me may not be the phone for you"
    Its like comparing a Corvette to a Porsche... I personally would go with the Vette, but thats my preference.

Best of luck on your phone comparison (I'm sure it will be a hard decision)
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I had to laugh at this one considering my misadventures with the Pre's reception and discovering that all of a sudden my sprint coverage sucks.
    Glad I gave you a chuckle - lately I have been antagonizing many around here!

Funny how that "coverage" thing can really leave a sour taste in your mouth. And it's not the poor little phone's fault!
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin