Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Samsung Color Smart Phone

This is allegedley available but Sprint denies it and won't provide a date. I've seen various web sites discussing the Comp USA is suppose to have it yet not locally in California. I don't trust these other web rings because they allow anoymous id's.

Anyone had any luck locating this thing? This could be my next device but if I can't find it. Also, I'm an AT&T customer, anyone using Sprint and their impressions: comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    I'm waiting until Verizon offers the phone (suppose to happen around Christmas time). After having been with Sprint for a few years, I am less than impressed with them. Their coverage is pathetic and if you aren't on their network (because there is no Sprint coverage) but you are in your home service area, you still get charged for roaming. What kind of deal is that? BTW, the I300 is suppose to be released by the end of this week.

Marty
  3.    #3  
    Oddly enough Verizon is not highly rated in this area for service. The coverage map for Sprint in California shows no roaming areas but I will check it out in more detail before proceeding. I'd like too see the phone and the local Sprint store hasn't got a clue as to when it will be in and the 888 number is no better help.

I was originally told it would be out on the 28th of Sept and then not until it's on the Sprint web page. The local store didn't even know what the I300 phone is so I'll slow down until further research is completed.

Thanks for your input - my attempt to help stimulate the economy will just be delayed a little longer.
    Moose Man
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
  4.    #4  
    Samsung has removed the link that directs viewers to the Sprint homepage to purchase the I300. So perhaps the IT people were a bit premature or it was a test ballon to see how much interest etc.

I'll just have to keep watching.
    Moose Man
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    The phone is now listed on Sprints Web site.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks kstinnet -

Although at the moment the phone is listed it can't be ordered over the net due to construction of the web page - however it is available through the phone line.

Mine will ship Monday - I decided to go ahead and order based upon the many reviews that I'd seen and perusing the web page/user manul and the demo. I also built a block of wood (Hawkins inspired) based upon the dimensions and decided that the form factor would work for me.

I should receive the phone on Wednesday and I'll let people know after it's up and running.
    Moose Man
    RGMOOSE:

Can you post the phone number you called to order the I300. I tried calling Sprint's 800 number but they say its not available yet. TIA

Marty
  8.    #8  
    1-888-253-1315 then choose menu 3 then menu 1.

Edit addition:

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/Ph...ies/Phones.jsp

You'll see the phone number here are their order page.
    Moose Man
    Well, I'm on hold now for a Sprint rep. I called all the Sprint stores where Sprint said the phone was supposedly released (PA/DE area; http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_Story.asp?ID=2408) and none of them had it. I did, however, make an interesting discovery: Seems as if the phones are not available at the SprintPCS stores themselves but rather at the local CompUSA stores. I called a couple of them in that area and they all confirmed they had the phone but are all sold out. Hopefully I'll be able to order the I300 over the phone.

Update: Just ordered my Samsung I300 over the phone! What puzzles me is why one Sprint 800 # would have it and the other not have it?? Anyways, thanks for the help RGMOOSE! It was greatly appreciated!

Marty
    Last edited by mmendo1; 10/06/2001 at 04:19 PM.
  10.    #10  
    Can't answer the issue of why one Sprint number works over another. Perhaps it's related to fact that the phone number I gave you is based out of Cincinnati, OH and according to the assistant supervisor that I talked to stated that they were the only location with the units acutally in hand.

Regarding the CompUSA situation - none here in Modesto, CA and surrounding area have received any as of yet. I suspect that it was just put into their system and they never received any - but it's only a suspicion because I did call the local unit.

Allegedly, I got the second phone ordered based upon the assitant supervisor. The first one was ordered by a guy in Virginia. I'm not bragging just referencing that you should be able to get one based upon such low call demand on Saturday's.

The "sup" said that they expect Sunday to be the day that it will hit the roof...so to speak.
    Good luck.
    Moose Man
    hey, i just bought one at the CompUSA store in San Bruno, CA. However, it seemed to be the last one...

now it's sitting in the cradle and charging. colors are better than the m505 in my opinion. the screen size and, consequently, the font size is very small though. you better have 20/20 vision...

to my surprise, there was no travel charger/sync cable included. thought samsung announced that. anyway, cradle allows you to charge the unit as well as a second battery at teh same time. Very nice I think. Cradle is ugly, though.

haven't activated yet but the old question(s): what do I need to surf the web etc. on the phone? Do I need to purchase their Wireless Web plan? If yes, what does the following mean: "50 free information updates are included per month. Additional updates 10cents each"?

thanks, joerg
    Ya, you have to have the Sprint "wireless web" option on your service plan to get any kind of data service on your phone (extra $5/month). The 50 free information updates are if someone wants to send you a text message or receive an automated internet-based update that some websites offer (msn.com for example)... you get 50 of those for free. It doesn't apply to surfing the internet on the phone. That comes out of your regular plan minutes.

Marty
    Moose Man:

Sprint says the phone is on backorder... Is your's on backorder as well or has it shipped yet?

Marty
    I saw one of these phones yesterday at CompUSA, although not powered up. I was surprised actually how small it was including the screen. The pictures and my expectation was that it was like regular phone size. I wonder how readable the screen is. But the form factor from a phone standpoint is reasonable.
  15.    #15  
    Originally posted by mmendo1
    Moose Man:

Sprint says the phone is on backorder... Is your's on backorder as well or has it shipped yet?

Marty
    Sorry about the delay in responding,

It appears that since I am on the phone with Sprint and they are telling me it is on backorder. I'm in a state of rage at the moment since the Comp USA never had one in my area and on Saturday- I was told it would be here by today.....I'll post more after I get off the phone.
    Moose Man
  16.    #16  
    Although the web page shows that the phone is available - according to a supervisor at Customer Service - the phone has never been in stock. This is direct conflict with what I was told on Saturday.

Also, Sprint has charged my credit card for the phone and the accessories and have not shipped any merchandise. Any lawyers listening - isn't it a violation of FTC laws to charge a customer for an item that is backordered unless notifying the customer that their card will be charged at the time the order is placed?

The web page was posted that the item was available on Saturday and it still shows available at the moment.

The supervisor also stated that not all Comp USA stores yet had the phone. I asked her how she'd be able to know that since she couldn't tell me that on Saturday nor could she tell me when the phone was going to be in stock.

They have until Friday before I contact American Express and start some nasty proceedings.......
    Moose Man
    Originally posted by george_vc
    I saw one of these phones yesterday at CompUSA, although not powered up. I was surprised actually how small it was including the screen. The pictures and my expectation was that it was like regular phone size. I wonder how readable the screen is. But the form factor from a phone standpoint is reasonable.
    George,

What CompUSA did you see the phone at?

Marty
  18.    #18  
    The CompUSA store in Modesto received a unit today and I have it in my hands. I cancelled the order through Sprint and I'm in the process of setting up.

Updates later.
    Moose Man
  19.    #19  
    Ok it's out of the box and been sync'd and here is some data, sorry don't have digital camera and my scanner is also on the blink so no pictures:

In the box:
    Combination charging station (will charge the 2nd battery simultaneously) and sync cradle. Serial 9 Pin connector.

2 (yes folks 2) batteries - one used at a time attaching in a similar manner as most Nokia cell phone batteries.

Carrying Case (fold over book style with a hard molded plastic holder that occupies the bottom third of the case, phone is on the left, 3 credit card slots on the right, space for receipts etc. under the credit cards, velcro closure system that is connected on the left flap and velcro's underneath on the right side flap under or behind the credit card holders on the outside, a cutaway on the upper left hand side to allow access to the stylus)

A quick reference card that has spots for user info such as ESN etc.

A Quick Reference Guide - small user manual but don't rely on this go and download the user manual from Samsung.

Installation CD typical Palm Desktop and Pocket Chapura for syncing to Outlook and an extra, Zio Golf Game

A carrying strap (but I wouldn't use it )

A Sprint Pen - El Cheapo but thought I'd mention it.
    Ok onto the hardware:

Palm OS v 3.5.2

256 Color

Screen size: 1 9/16 wide X 2 5/16 tall however roughly the top 1/4 inch of the screen is occupied by a phone status indicator at all times. Without a doubt this is the smallest palm screen I have ever seen. I've got bi-focals and I'm corrected back to 20-15 and it's not uncomfortable to view.

I won't spend a lot of time describing the buttons or the rest of the hardware because you can see them at the original link that I posted but here is a description of some of the features:

Wake up buttons - the preproduction versions would not awaking the palm apps. This has been fixed on production units so now you can activate the palm like other units. I've already reassigned them to my preferences.

Phone Attenae: Does extend out for those of you afraid of brain cancer.

Set up: The quick start quide stated that if you already had the Palm Desktop installed that you do not need to install it again - so I didn't. I did a back up from my M505, connected the serial cradle, rebooted computer to have it recognize the serial cradle, made a copy of my Palm Backup Directory ( thank goodness) and synced (first sycning you have to enter a password which is the last four digits of the phone number). Immediately got a datamgr error forcing a hard reset since a soft reset would not clear the offending program.

No matter I've got a backup of all the data stored elsewhere on the hard drive. Cleared the error.

Update: 7:30PM PDT - was out at daughter's soccer practice and had to do a hard reset will attempting to dial some numbers. Looks like Hackmaster and all extensions will cause a forced random soft reset that will go into a repeat mode until a hard reset is performed.

Other software that appears to be working ok with the unit at this time:

Laumch'em
    Action Names Datebook (An Address button option)
    City Time
    Cesium
    Datemate
    Intelligolf
    Documents to Go Professional Version
    Projects

Other neat features in my opinion: Phone stays on but screen does go blank so as not to waste battery life. User can define incoming call ring sounds to help determine if the call has caller id, preferred caller, roaming etc.

Only complaints: The case that it comes with prevents one handed operation and if you leave the Palm on and close the case you get activation by the buttons so I'm off to E & B cases to ask them to build a belt clip model.
    Last edited by RSGMOOSE; 10/10/2001 at 09:56 PM.
    Moose Man
    I saw your review of the I300 on VisorCentral, but I was wondering how happy you are now after some months - I am thinking of buying a unit.
    How is the screen for you? Is it readable in daylight? How is Sprint's reception and coverage? How easy is it to input data? Can you use Wordsmith? Other Apps? Battery life OK?
    Would appreciate your thoughts.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast