Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've seen all the comparisons between the iPhone and the Pre, but does anyone have an Android phone? I honestly think the biggest competitor to the Pre is going to be Android rather than iPhone. When my friends and I are discussing the iPhone, we usually compare it to the Palm OS, but we compare Android to the Web OS. Any thoughts?
    As a heavy Google user, I'd love to see a review on this as well. I believe Sprint is slated for the HTC Hero which looks similiar to Tmobile's G1. Here's a recent article from Gizmodo you might find useful comparing the Pre with the G1, iPhone 3Gs and BB Storm.

Smartphone Buyers Guide: The Best of the Best

Tho I'd also like to see a Pre (Web OS) vs Android showdown.
    Neil
    Handspring Visor Deluxe > Treo 600 > Palm Pre > iPhone 4s & Touchpad 32gb
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Im not impressed with android. seems cluncky and unintuitive to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    Im not impressed with android. seems cluncky and unintuitive to me.
    My gf has the G1 and I have to say it feels off. No multitouch. Each interface seems to be a different design. Looks like an open-source OS.

The hardware of the G1 is meh. The phone dropped off her bathroom vanity and shattered the thin glass screen. I find the keyboard harder to type on. Perhaps it's because it's a sideways slider. I'm not that fond of them.

The "G2" seems a bit nicer and from what I've seen / read with where Android is going, I think it will get better.
    I agree it will get better as more people develop and as more manufacturers come out with the hardware. HTC and Samsung I believe are come out soon with more. One feature of anroid that stands out is the live Street view with the Compass feature is just awesome.
    Neil
  6. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    G2 looks nice. I'm interested to see how their virtual kb plays out though, if they offer anything beyond what the iPhone has.
    just found androidcentral.com

Check this video out of an Android application "Layar" That is one amazing app.

Neil
    Worst part of Android is the limited app memory and no task manager. Apps running in the background would close out of nowhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    Worst part of Android is the limited app memory and no task manager. Apps running in the background would close out of nowhere.
    Limited App memory is a limitation of the hardware not Android. I am surprised no one has written a task manager though. Android should in theory be the easiest phone OS to mod.

I think Android has been slow to get off the ground in the US partly because its only available on the smallest wireless carrier (T-Mobile) and one rather clunky phone built by a company who churns out crappy WM devices (HTC).
    Quote Originally Posted by Enlil242 View Post
    My gf has the G1 and I have to say it feels off. No multitouch. Each interface seems to be a different design. Looks like an open-source OS.

The hardware of the G1 is meh. The phone dropped off her bathroom vanity and shattered the thin glass screen. I find the keyboard harder to type on. Perhaps it's because it's a sideways slider. I'm not that fond of them.
    +1. I held a G1 in my hand over the weekend - my first impression was "clunky" before even looking at the screen. If I wanted a little brick with the length and width of a checkbook, I would have just stuck w/ my iPhone 3G as my "daily driver". I'm "meh" on anything with the Tmobile sidekick form factor (big landscape keyboard). I got a Pre exactly for its smallness/cuteness coupled with an awesome hardware foundation and powerful CPU.

The Android O/S seemed snappy, but kind of unintuitive and disorganized - a definite "1.0" feel to it.

I think the "concept" of Android is great, but just like many others, I'm more rooting for it to succeed than actually wanting one for myself. That and you don't really hear much excitement over it - I realize the Pre is newer but the buzz and enthusiasm you hear is way higher than anything that's going on w/ Android.
    Submit your Pre feature requests and vote up the best at http://pre.uservoice.com
    Quote Originally Posted by odditory View Post
    I think the "concept" of Android is great, but just like many others, I'm more rooting for it to succeed than actually wanting one for myself. That and you don't really hear much excitement over it - I realize the Pre is newer but the buzz and enthusiasm you hear is way higher than anything that's going on w/ Android.
    That might be because it has been available for about a year and has not gained any traction. To ensure that it does not suffer the same fate. the Pre needs to be available on more carriers ASAP.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Limited App memory is a limitation of the hardware not Android. I am surprised no one has written a task manager though. Android should in theory be the easiest phone OS to mod.

I think Android has been slow to get off the ground in the US partly because its only available on the smallest wireless carrier (T-Mobile) and one rather clunky phone built by a company who churns out crappy WM devices (HTC).
    A task manager for android is available in the android market place. It allows you to kill processes.

I believe tmobile has said they have sold over 1 mill g1's. Its not exactly a good looking phone, but the g2 "mytouch" is coming out in a few weeks and that's a pretty attractive phone.

The android OS is pretty nice. Its a very customizable OS. You can pretty much replace everything about it. If you don't like the home application, there are 3 or 4 replacement "home" apps in the market. If you don't like the dialer, replace it. If you don't like the stock virtual keyboard, download "better keyboard" from the market. Plus, because its open source, there are people that have come out with custom images that modify the kernel for better performance, tweaks, etc. In addition, there are millions of "themes" out there for you to choose.

And the gmail application is widely considered the best mail client available on any smartphone.

The browser for android is open source and somebody has come out with a modified browser that supports multi-touch. Its not a great implementation but at least its possible.
    Last edited by dwang; 06/18/2009 at 12:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    That might be because it has been available for about a year and has not gained any traction. To ensure that it does not suffer the same fate. the Pre needs to be available on more carriers ASAP.
    True that. I run into people all the time that are hardcore verizon and don't even want to hear about any other carrier. I can't blame them - the signal is the best in the industry in the most places (based on experience with phones on all four carriers over many years) but they're also the most expensive, apparently people don't mind $140 a month+ for a decent plan with enough minutes.

If Verizon insisted on stamping their ugly red "V" on the front of the Pre though, forget it - wouldn't buy it.

Coincidentally our office moved our corporate accounts over to Sprint, and people were told "if you can FIND dead spots in coverage with your new sprint blackberry, you can have your verizon back" and as far as I know the switch didn't make enough of a diff to anyone to complain about - everyone was pretty happy with coverage in random polling. Perhaps this area just has good sprint coverage, but bottom line the negligible difference in signal coverage wasn't enough to justify a monthly bill for a large account that was about 40% higher.
    Submit your Pre feature requests and vote up the best at http://pre.uservoice.com
  14.    #14  
    I had to run and get a HTC Magic here (or G2 for you) because my Treo Pro was drunk on tequila 2 days before I had to go overseas for a business trip, and I must say that the thing kicks iPhone 2.0's rear end in terms of usability and versatility. The phone is actually quite nice, and the rollerball works quite nicely to move the cursor while editing emails and such. I see potential in Android, and with it's multi-tasking ability, I see it as THE competitor to the Web OS, despite its quirkiness and less than intuitive out of the box applications. But as someone mentioned, there are many other apps out there that one can download to simply replace.
    Android is a great platform if you like to customize you expererince. There are themes, icon packs, cooked OS roms, and TONS of other custimizations. There is also a lot of "hackability" with android. It is a really fun platform.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikef1182 View Post
    Android is a great platform if you like to customize you expererince. There are themes, icon packs, cooked OS roms, and TONS of other custimizations. There is also a lot of "hackability" with android. It is a really fun platform.
    I agree, if you like to "play" with your phone then android is it. If you want a great out of the box experience, then get an iphone. Its the most polished.

Android definitely isn't the most polished platform out there, but it is the most "hackable" and "customizable" platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwang View Post
    Android definitely isn't the most polished platform out there, but it is the most "hackable" and "customizable" platform.
    For now.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikef1182 View Post
    Hey Mike, still liking your Pre?

Android seems like a nice OS that is very hackable. I still like the polished look of the webOS more.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by odditory View Post
    For now.
    Unless palm opens up the source to the webos, I don't see how webos will surpass android in hackability and openness.

The entire source to the android OS is available. The only things that aren't open source are the closed google apps (gmail, calendar, google maps, etc). Google hasn't made the source code available to those, but the kernel, the entire android framework, browser, IM application, home application, etc are completely open for any coder to download and modify.

There's already a custom image out for the g1 that replaces the default kernel scheduler, with a different one to improve performance. Thats only possible on the android platform because the source is available.
    I had a G1 with T-mobile for about 6 months. Overall I was very happy with android as an O.S. I prefer the browser in the Pre and Iphone over the G1 though, mainly because I like the way the page is zoomed out as opposed to zoomed in on the G1. The camera on the G1 is TERRIBLE. Other than that, I actually preferred the G1 to the iphone 3G, I just wish the G1 allowed for more storage space for apps. The main contributing factors that led me to the Pre were lack of 3G where I live, which made browsing horrendously slow, and clunky hardware. If the form factor was smaller and sexier like the Pre and there was 3G in my area I probably wouldn't have switched. That being said, I love the Pre and Sprint is the best network for my needs and I have tried all of them. Depending where the Pre's O.S. is at the time I may switch back to android when Sprint gets one.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast