Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    OP great honest write up...

I have a blackberry storm.. what a mess that phone is. but some small features work great... like the copy and paste! This phone needs some more polishing... looking at the stock price of Palm... i'm sure the employees with their stock options are VERY excited to get to work!!

I hope they make leaps and bounds with this phone... not baby steps
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NutritionN View Post
    I have a 2nd Gen Touch, as well. The glaring difference that I see between the two devices really isn't OS-specific...it's the touch screens.

Where it takes me 3-4 tries, along with zooming, to actually get the Pre's browser to recognize my finger touch on a link, I can touch the same link in the Touch's browser at the smallest font setting and get recognition immediately.

No fanboy here, either. The iPhone/Touch screen is just more accurate.
    Agreed, the iphone GLASS screen is more accurate than the Pre's Plastic Screen, this is a fact. So although slower, surfing the web on my itouch is a bit easier than on the pre.
    I have an iPod Touch, and a Treo 755P. I went to the Sprint store today to check out the Pre, which I'm strongly considering buying. Here's what I did not like about the Pre:

1) It felt sluggish compared to iPod, and very sluggish compared to 755P. Opening applications seemed to take a long time on the Pre.
    2) The screen is nice, but a little smaller than the iPod/iPhone. And doesn't feel as nice.
    3) The keyboard wasn't as nice as I was expecting. Little, tiny keys that are not raised very much.
    4) Small amount of storage. 8 GB would feel tight for me.
    5) The lack of tethering at this point is a drawback. Not huge, but tethering is so easy with my 755P.

Anyone else have other comments? I like the Pre, but I'm especially concerned about the sluggish feel of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Unfortunately, buyers aren't comparing the Pre to a 2 year old phone, they're comparing it to todays phones. As much potential as it has, it's unfinished at present.
    The keyword there is "potential". I've developed on pretty much every smartphone platform out there, and the two smartphone platforms that I see having the best potential are WebOS and Android.

Why do you think it took so long for iPhone OS to implement features that were present on the Treo 650? Because it's not as easy as you'd think to do.

Building on Linux is a long term plan, a flexible plan. Building on proprietary garbage is not, and keeping that locked down certainly is not a strong long term plan. Palm learned their lesson already. Microsoft had to change their game and target their OS as essentially a lightweight smartphone version of XP/Vista embedded. (Sure, there are lots of people still packing WinMob, but the excitement has been dead for years) Symbian is essentially a regional phenomenon these days. From my time developing iPhone stuff, I found it seriously lacking the flexibility and true extensibility that it's going to need to keep up with the other players in this market.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kegl11 View Post
    I have an iPod Touch, and a Treo 755P. I went to the Sprint store today to check out the Pre, which I'm strongly considering buying. Here's what I did not like about the Pre:

1) It felt sluggish compared to iPod, and very sluggish compared to 755P. Opening applications seemed to take a long time on the Pre.
    2) The screen is nice, but a little smaller than the iPod/iPhone. And doesn't feel as nice.
    3) The keyboard wasn't as nice as I was expecting. Little, tiny keys that are not raised very much.
    4) Small amount of storage. 8 GB would feel tight for me.
    5) The lack of tethering at this point is a drawback. Not huge, but tethering is so easy with my 755P.
    1. I'm also a 755p owner, and I also noticed it took a while for Pre apps to load. This seems like the kind of thing that they could definitely fix in future firmware updates, and I think the fact that you can multitask should make it not as big of a deal. If you have five or six things you use regularly, just leave them open, and as long as they're not behaving stupidly (doing busy-wait loops in the background) there shouldn't be much of a problem.

2. The screen is smaller because the phone is smaller. It's a plus and a minus, it just depends on which is more important, portability/form factor or the size of the screen.

3. I totally disagree. I read all the keyboard complaints and went in thinking I'd hate it, but after spending 5-10 minutes on it, my typing speed was up to my 755p speed, and it would have been better if I could install a KeyCaps600 equivalent to do caps/numbers quickly. I think the grippy texture of the keys more than makes up for the smaller size, and for whatever reason, the fact that they're not as deep seems to help me as well. I can't really explain why, but the keyboard really seemed to work for me, and I didn't expect it to.

4. Yeah, I totally agree. More storage is always appreciated, and I think Palm's decision to not include a SD slot or offer a >16GB model was a bad one.

5. Tethering can be done now via some hacks, which is good enough for the few times I'll need it. I think the other features of the Pre more than make up for the little inconvenience of making tethering work.
    Quote Originally Posted by poopsie View Post
    Nope, just fighting fire with fire. If a fanboy is going to throw cheap shots, I throw them back.
    I have always been puzzled as to why someone thinks they can act the fool on the internet, sling insults, be an ***, and feel that, just because of the anonymous nature of the medium, they still have their dignity intact.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Whoa whoa whoa.

Maybe some of your phones need a reset or something. My phone is hardly ever sluggish.
    I've had no problems with universal search, but copy/paste could be better, yes.

Umm, I thought the smaller screen was made up by having a great resolution and vibrant screen.
    Last edited by Kedar; 07/09/2009 at 05:23 PM.
    Mods:

1) Please move this thread to the proper Cross-Platform forum.
    2) Can we just start nuking first these misplaced threads, then the people who start them?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12