Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wprater View Post
    that iphone is not running on the WSPA 7.2 though. Pre wont be able to compare with those speeds
    Let's worry about that in 4 years, when AT&T has finally rolled out 7.2 HSDPA to a decent amount of its network - by comparison, Sprint rolled out EvDO Rev. A to its entire 3G network, meaning Pre users currently get faster theoretical (and real-world) throughput than any iPhone gets at the moment, and will get for the near-to-distant future.
    Also i prefer my phones on, these test's are not practicle....I want a send txt, read incoming email while streaming music, open brower from linked email and launch telenav test.

Not to mention the networking clogging effect of having the sole iphone rights. Don't think ATT is building a network with the intentions of having the Iphone forever... I would prefer everyone not buy the pre however....more bandwidth for me
    I have not played with a Pre, they seem to be unavailible locally.

As for the 3GS, it is way faster than the 3G. Data, graphics, GPS, camera, video... It's all fast!

Sweet phone, and the 4G I hear will be here quick!
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    ... and the new screen is nice.

I just remembered as I picked up my greasy iPhone... I use it as a skype phone
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    not to bash the pre or anything, but isn't webpages done loading when the bottom right circular bar is filled up, goes away, and turns into a reload button?

Also, remember, this is only the beginning for pre, apple had years to tweak their software. The first update that was available at launch day for the pre was suppose to make the pre faster, I wonder how much slower it was before then. I believe more speed updates are on the horizon!
    Quote Originally Posted by ha-me3 View Post
    not to bash the pre or anything, but isn't webpages done loading when the bottom right circular bar is filled up, goes away, and turns into a reload button?

Also, remember, this is only the beginning for pre, apple had years to tweak their software. The first update that was available at launch day for the pre was suppose to make the pre faster, I wonder how much slower it was before then. I believe more speed updates are on the horizon!
    Ya I noticed that too, the Pre was not completed, for the STOP button was still active. However it's nice to know that both the Pre and 3Gs browser were pretty par on loading stuff, but the Pre seemed to have rendered the images faster.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I just timed my Pre start-up time and clocked in at just about the same speed as CNET, with 1:48:34. The other two tests didn't really show off much besides the fact that the Pre renders images faster than the iPhone on 3G. But I hope Palm can offer some sort of solution to the sluggishness of the boot-up time and some of the hangs when opening up a new app.
  8. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Start up time is a huge factor because?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Only if it resets often. I hope not.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Yeah, I've experienced start-up on my phone exactly twice, including the once out of the box, and I don't expect to experience it again for months, at least.

I honestly wouldn't care if start-up took 5 minutes, it's not important to me at all with how my cellphone is never turned off.
  11. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ha-me3 View Post

Remember that all of the reviewers before launch were running 1.0.2 on their devices, which means that the 1.0.2 update was at least 2 weeks old.
    I haven't even looked at the video but this is as good a place as any to post my observations from tonight. On both my Pre and my iPod Touch, which I updated to 3.0 today, I have to zoom most pages to see them, then scroll. With the Pre, on wifi, scrolling side to side gives me a constant checkered pattern to watch momentarily while it redraws. All the time, it's a drag. With the Touch, never.

I just spent hours cleaning up contacts on the Pre and opening and closing them was choppy and slow. My second generation Touch is smooth, fast, and consistent.

The calculator on the Touch is open and ready in 1 second. The Pre, 4 seconds. You Tube on Touch, 12 seconds till video is playing vs 17 on Pre from app launch and clicking on the first one that appears.

I could go on. The now old iPhone smokes the Pre in almost everything. You guys should see the new stuff. Real Universal Search, real cut and paste, voice memos, landscape keyboard in many more apps, auto focus camera and video, and more.

And a bigger processor to boot in 3gs?

Let's keep it real.

If I sound teed off it's because I wanted to replace my fantastic but laggy BB with the fastest processor available in any damn phone, the one in the Pre. I thought that meant it would be fast and responsive. It doesn't.

Try scrolling your contacts on your Pre. Ever see a "reloading" mssg on the iPhone or Touch?
    Last edited by galavanter; 06/18/2009 at 04:56 AM.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    If your phone came with the feature that turns the phone off when you close the slider it becomes important. LOL.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    The last time I actually turned on my phone was.... hmmm.... I can't remember... I guess... 6 months ago... I guess I never turn it off, so I don't have to turn it on.

So.... the slow startup isn't going to bother me.
    Ha ha! Obviously someone who has never used a Palm product before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Ha ha! Obviously someone who has never used a Palm product before.
    well he certainly has a point. I've been a palm user since the palm pilot professional and I can tell you that the only time you would ever need to restart your palm is when you crash an application, how? well by trying out new stuff, rarely the built-in apps might crash your palm device, and u wont do the same thing twice to crash your palm, but i'd say you'd need to restart the thing only once per week (or month). I've only restarted my pre once since i got it on launch day. Of course unless you try out 100s of apps per day, and hack into the thing. the pre seems to be on the same page here, if not, a little better at not crashing so damn much >.>
    I must not have the same Pre. Once a day it seems to have a hiccup where texts don't send or receive, or problems connecting with network. Have to reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    I haven't even looked at the video but this is as good a place as any to post my observations from tonight. On both my Pre and my iPod Touch, which I updated to 3.0 today, I have to zoom most pages to see them, then scroll. With the Pre, on wifi, scrolling side to side gives me a constant checkered pattern to watch momentarily while it redraws. All the time, it's a drag. With the Touch, never.

I just spent hours cleaning up contacts on the Pre and opening and closing them was choppy and slow. My second generation Touch is smooth, fast, and consistent.

The calculator on the Touch is open and ready in 1 second. The Pre, 4 seconds. You Tube on Touch, 12 seconds till video is playing vs 17 on Pre from app launch and clicking on the first one that appears.

I could go on. The now old iPhone smokes the Pre in almost everything. You guys should see the new stuff. Real Universal Search, real cut and paste, voice memos, landscape keyboard in many more apps, auto focus camera and video, and more.

Let's keep it real.

If I sound teed off it's because I wanted to replace my fantastic but laggy BB with the fastest processor available in any damn phone, the one in the Pre. I thought that meant it would be fast and responsive. It doesn't.

Try scrolling your contacts on your Pre. Ever see a "reloading" mssg on the iPhone or Touch?
    You have to keep in mind that until the native SDK comes out the Pre will remain at a speed disadvantage in the launching and running o apps because most iPhone apps are native Objective-C code where as Palm Pre apps are interpreted web apps. Web apps made of stuff like AJAX and other web programming languages are slower than native code apps. This is one of the reasons a launch the Pre is not a good device for fast moving video games like the iPhone is.
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post

Let's keep it real.

I intend to keep it real. I have a Pre and an iPod Touch running 3.0 as well.

You're citing what I believe to be the LEAST important metrics between the two. And that's because they're the most fluid. Start up times for a 1.0 device are always improved. I have friends with 2G iPhones that lag like mad compared to 3GS speeds. It took time to get that OS up to speed, just as it will take time to get WebOS up to the speed of an OS that has been user-tested and optimized for TWO years after its first iteration.

That being said, there are some metrics that are not fluid because they're related to form factor and hardware. And in these most important metrics, not only does iPhone 3GS NOT smoke the Pre, but it will forever lag behind it.

How about...oh, I dunno...making a phone call from a frequently used contact(one of the most common tasks one does on a smartPHONE):

Pre: Open phone and either press speed dial number. DONE.
    iPhone 3GS: Press button to wake device, slide to unlock, open contacts and scroll OR tap to open voice dialer, make sure one is in a quiet place, speak command, and wait for app to recognize it and dial. Um, done?

For less used contacts or new numbers, the disparity is just as bad.

Apps are slower to launch on the Pre right now? Ok. But you can leave the calculator or multiple Web pages up in the background. Then, you have instant access. iPhone 3GS has to relaunch them EVERY time. And it can only do ONE at a time. Pandora is just one example of where that architecture is lacking.

Meanwhile, Pre functionality will only improve with time and more apps.

You have no reason to be teed off. If you wanna go the iPhone route full on, enjoy. I prefer more efficiency.
    To be fair, fastest way to call someone on iphone is to unlock it, double tap button, opens spotlight, start typing name, tap name, brings up contact card, tap number.

This can be tweaked to include option to sms or call straight from spotlight results hopefully in future.

Regarding apps opening, i don't think people have gotten into the multitasking thing yet. I bet quite a few close an app as soon as they're done. They've not wrapped their head around just leaving em open.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast