Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I think we Pre-vailed!
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    What an awful video....
    Drove 3 hours to buy my Palm Pre on day one.
    I think this was a cool idea and was a lot of fun to watch, but I was disappointed in the end. There was no mention of how many bars each of the phones had. The fact that his iPhone 3G switched to Edge at one point possibly suggests that the AT&T signal was worse than Sprint's in their location, which could have explained the better web page download and image emailing speeds of the pre. But, again, they didn't specify how many bars their phones were showing and the video wasn't high-res enough for me to make out that detail.

Ideally, they would have tested this out in a location where they got solid 5-bars from both Sprint and AT&T. Maybe they did and just didn't say, but we're left not knowing.

They should have also done a second set of tests just using WiFi.

Also, I'd love to see more real-life usability speed tests (emailing someone a quick email message, creating a contact, etc.). Ideas for someone else in the future.

As far as their first test that the pre failed badly at, if/when all devices are considered stable enough so as to not need a hard reset (and assuming battery life is acceptable enough to make it through a full day), I personally don't consider this to be that important. It shouldn't be very often that you need to do a "full bootup" of your smartphone, so I don't care that much if it takes an extra minute.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    ^lol
    Sprint works in Asia? Hmm...

NM, they are in SFO.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Awesome! Now all I need is a solid EVDO connection!
    <merged>
  8. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Check it out! Palm Pre beats iPhone 3G S in 2 out of 3 speed tests by CNET | Between the Lines | ZDNet.com

In a special episode of CNET Prizefight, Briant Tong, Bonnie Cha, and Nicole Lee pit the iPhone 3G S against the Palm Pre in three speed tests: boot up time, loading a Web page, and taking and sending a photo. They also included the second-gen iPhone in the tests for further comparison.

Watch the six-minute video to see the Palm Pre win two out of the three tests. Keep in mind that this is a non-scientific test that takes place in the CNET studios in San Francisco, a city where the iPhone suffers from widely-reported network problems. Nevertheless, the Pre showed very impressive performance and the iPhone 3G S showed solid improvement over its previous generation hardware.
    Follow Me On Twitter: www.twitter.com/YaBoiD
    been posted many times...
  10. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by technoviking View Post
    been posted many times...
    Sorry about that. Very impressive nonetheless....
    Follow Me On Twitter: www.twitter.com/YaBoiD
    posted already. not even official by any means either.
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    posted already. not even official by any means either.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Look, I really like this phone, but it pains me to see a video like this. I think videos like this do anything but help. The first test is absolutely embarrassing, although isn't really generally indicative of any practical application unless the phone is inherently unstable and needs constant reboots. The browser very clearly is still loading when they stop the clock in the 2nd test (although admittedly it loads usable content first, it looks like they actually tie). The 3rd test is about as unscientific as you can get and is probably more reflective of the people using the phones then the phones themselves. I actually have a hard time believing these people are tied to CNET/ZDNET in any official capacity.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    I can't believe media outlets are still posting this video like it was made today.
    Quote Originally Posted by imasu49 View Post
    Look, I really like this phone, but it pains me to see a video like this. I think videos like this do anything but help. The first test is absolutely embarrassing, although isn't really generally indicative of any practical application unless the phone is inherently unstable and needs constant reboots. The browser very clearly is still loading when they stop the clock in the 2nd test (although admittedly it loads usable content first, it looks like they actually tie). The 3rd test is about as unscientific as you can get and is probably more reflective of the people using the phones then the phones themselves. I actually have a hard time believing these people are tied to CNET/ZDNET in any official capacity.
    This ^

CNET and ZDNET are jokes in the tech community. Their focus is on giving advice to people with little to no technical knowledge and fail even there.

There's a better comparison between the iPhone, Palm Pre and G1 on AnandTech.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12